Thread: Parks Highway Creeks?

Question Parks Highway Creeks?

Has anyone been fishing Montana, Byers or anything up that way? Lokking for reports on water conditions and fish?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Default Susitna Valley

Fishing was good to excellent for me and my friend this past weekend. We caught silvers, chums and pinks in the three different parks highway creeks we fished.

Creeks were clear, except for the sheep creek slough area. Had rain Saturday night, did not seem to effect the creeks on Sunday. I will be posting a report later today with pictures.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I was at Sheep yesterday and was pretty disgusted by the crownd that was there. Never been dissapointed by going up to sheep, but yesterday was stupid. Had one guy literally push his way in between me and another guy and he was touching our shoulders. I forgot how to cast until he left. Must have tangled him up 10 times before he finally got the picture. Saw lots of fish caught but left in disgust. Went up to the bridge and hiked down to a hole that I like to fish.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Just don't fish the hwy rivers on the weekend.. Taking your life into your own hands for sure..

Default Willow and some crowd comments

Willow was very nice..fishing (silvers) was spotty as the schools would move through. Water was clear... Caught many pinks and chums, and managed to get one nice silver and (long distance released) some others. Here is my daughter with a nice chromer. As luck would have it, camera batteries were dead when I had my photo opportunity. Was fun to see her pull in her biggest fish to date!

As far as the crowds go, weekends suck of course, early morning is best to get a spot, but crowds come and go throughout the day, so a spot is always available. There were a few idiots there crowding out the wife and others, and when asked (can ya move over a bit) they answered back, "it's ok".. and just ignored her, kept crossing lines, etc. Must have been out for halibut with the 10 weight he was chucking! His casts were going 5 feet in front of him and the splashes were spraying people downwind...funny, but kinda not when you are standing besides that. Finally this #### cuts out is birds nest and just left it on the shore (see green line in photo). No regard for the others fishing or the wildlife that eventually gets tangled in his discarded line...not to mention the eye sore! Then the children that stand on the shore in their sneakers as you are 6 feet out in waders and have to duck or jump out of the way of their lure as it wizzes by your feet/legs during the down swing, fearing some holes being poke in your waders. Some of these parents haven't a clue that their kids are disrupting others and could safely place them downstream where they won't keep snagging lines and interrupting others casts. I'm not trying to act like I own the bank, but would you move your 4 year old into the line of fisherman at the Russian and not expect an uncomfortable situation? These kids were very young and their dad just thrust them into the crowd. Oh, there were grown ups doing the same thing.. Trying to fish through me, and others, from the shore. Again, get some waders or move to an area where you won't keep catching others lines and waders!! Hey, at least there weren't guns drawn this time!!

OK off my soap box now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One way to deal with crowds, last weekend my 9 year old was flipping on the Kenai. Someone moved to within 2.5 feet of him, usually not easy to do as I will make sure I stand near him to help him get a little more room. Once he did that I moved to within 2 feet of the other side of this individual flipped for a couple of minutes then acted like I needed to adjust my rig. When I left his side, he quickly moved over a couple of steps so I would not step to his immediate side thus giving my 9 year old a little more room to get a decent flip action. You can always ask if they just take a step away (and most seem to), unless you are in what they think is some magic fishing drift hole.

Red face Right on

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    One way to deal with crowds, last weekend my 9 year old was flipping on the Kenai. Someone moved to within 2.5 feet of him, usually not easy to do as I will make sure I stand near him to help him get a little more room. Once he did that I moved to within 2 feet of the other side of this individual flipped for a couple of minutes then acted like I needed to adjust my rig. When I left his side, he quickly moved over a couple of steps so I would not step to his immediate side thus giving my 9 year old a little more room to get a decent flip action. You can always ask if they just take a step away (and most seem to), unless you are in what they think is some magic fishing drift hole.
    Funny you say that, because the guy with the little girl said I was standing in the honey hole..lol. There was no hole, it's just a piece of shoreline I happened to be standing on; same as the shore/casting area for 100 feet to either side of me; nothing special just flowing water. They said ok we'll leave then, and went up stream and even caught some fish in a section where the little girl could learn without getting everyone else tangled. Also, never mentioned this guy was fishing eggs on a heavy sinker straight out which totally ruined the casting angles of others on either side of him. He never blinked twice about it, but got the point when he got several "stares" from others around him. Anywayzzz...It's all good in the long run.