Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, What's The Deal With Pinks?

Default Ok, What's The Deal With Pinks?

So I have heard folks moaning and groaning on this site about how they wouldn't dare let a piece of pink salmon touch there mouth. I've also come across other websites that say it has a "light and delicate" flavor. So what's the deal? Salmon still tastes like salmon, right. "Light and Delicate" sounds pretty good to me. I have been pulling up pinks like it's going out of style and I refuse to keep throwing them back. I am going to catch some and grill it up for the first time tonight. I just want to know what to expect so I can prepare it properly.

Default Panko fried

Pinks are GREAT deep fried in Panko (New Sagayas) or with Italian bread crumbs. They just need to be ocean fresh...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Pinks are GREAT deep fried in Panko (New Sagayas) or with Italian bread crumbs. They just need to be ocean fresh...
    Do they have a fishier (is that a word) flavor than kings, reds, etc? By ocean fresh, am I correct in assuming that frozen right after being caught is also sufficient?

Default Freezing

I would not recommend freezing them. They don't freeze well, breaking down and really falling apart when they are thawed. The meat is not as firm as the other salmon species. Cook 'em fresh.

Default bright

By bright or ocean fresh I use that to describe a fish that hasn't been in fresh water yet.Pinks especially change texture of flesh pretty fast once they get a taste of fresh water(&go into spawning mode).
    They'll freeze up OK;but probly best eaten fresh or canned.

I've never had canned salmon before. Is it usually used in the same manner as tuna fish, ie. tuna fish sandwich?

Default smoke 'em

I ended up with some while dipnetting. Got to them before they got into fresh water. Cleaned and froze them that day, cut and put into a brine last night and smoked today. I wish I hadn't thrown so many back as they turned out pretty good.

Well I'll let you know how it turns out. Up till Dec I was one of those nasty lower 48ers that used to eat *gasp* FARMED SALMON, so I probably won't mind it at all.

If they aren't quite into the mouth of the river, they should still be good right?

There isn't something magical about freshwater which makes pink "go bad". They just start to color and hump up quickly or even before they hit freshwater and they go mushy real fast once these changes occur. If they are chromers they eat up great fresh....freezing quickly has mixed results for people.

Caught one a week ago Friday at Beaver Creek on the Kenai River right before lunch. We pulled over filleted him out and he was delicious. Was a fresh chrome fish. Weird thing was his stomach was absolutely stuffed to the max with cured salmon roe...what a glutton.

Chrome colored....starting to show a hump...great eating...of course it helps that it was caught and then in the frying pan within an hour:

Brian

Default canning

In the olden days before refrigeration and transportation advances favored transporting frozen food, canned salmon was a major product of coastal Alaska.
    For personal storage it's a lot of work and a bit of expense up front but can really be economical in the long run.
    If you're fishing a river or creek mouth you will often find a mixture of spawning stages,as the fresh ocean arrivals mix with those that have been in the fresh water for varying lengths of time.

Default Last night

Last night I took pieces of red and pink (both dipnetted from the kenai last week) and seasoned/grilled them the same and ate them on the same plate. No the plate didn't break in half, and the red salmon didn't protest being on the same plate. In fact they were both delicious. Yes the red was better, but they were both awesome.
    Can't believe I just said that.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Recipe from a book:

Take a dime bright pink, well cleaned, headed, etc. and fill the gut cavity with onions, fried bacon pieces, and spices of choice. Season the outside of the fish as well. Take ten sheets of newspaper (ADN works the best for this) and moisten one at a time and wrap the fish. Put the last sheet on dry to mold it close to the fish, then moisten it too under the tap. Bake for one hour at 350 on a cookie sheet.

I made this last night and didn't tell the family it was a pink til we were done eating. There were NO leftovers. Family said it was some of the best fish they had ever eaten. No lie.

I took my wife and son fishing last weekend for Pinks. We cooked some up the next night and my wife just loved it. When it's fresh, it's great. I froze some of it, so we'll see.

DocEsox has the right kind of Pink for eating. No matter what water the fish is caught in that is the color they should be for eating.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default yeah, i agree

pinks have an unfair rep for being inedible. last week i took a first time fisherwoman out for her first AK salmon, you guessed it, i took her after pinks. she caught one dime bright, kept it, i cleaned it, we brought it to my house, grilled one fillet, and it was superb. vacuum sealed the other fillet and in her freezer it went.

i believe fresh pinks make excellent table fair!

Don't let anyone confuse you, pinks are horrible trash fish not fit for consumption! Just ask one of the salmon snobs I like fishing for them with a trout size outfit, and have a great time, and eat the chrome ones with no embarrassment. By the way my 8 yr old daughter caught an 11 lb one yesterday and she is still walking on air about that. Any fish that can do that is no trash fish in my book.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Take ten sheets of newspaper
    is there something about the news paper or will aluminum foil work as well....sound like something I need to try.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I use aluminum foil to hold in the steam.
    An ocean bright pink cooked soon after it's caught is excellent fare, better than any salmon that's started to color up.

You guys were wrong. I ate a bite of pink and immediately had to be rushed to the hospital. Doc says I have a week to live....

Seriously, I caught a really nice colored pink last night. Really pink compared to some of the other ones I have caught. Was all about tearing it up for dinner till my last cast. I hooked what I thought was a big ass pink. It did one flip and I realized it was a king. Took me ten min to get it to the shore. I filleted it and found out it was a white king!. I never thought I would see one much less catch one. Cooked it up last night and it was goooood! I'll post pics once my wife forwards them to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast