Thread: Replacing my old shotgun

Default Replacing my old shotgun

Anyone into shotgunning? I really have enjoyed hunting with my shotguns for the past 34 yrs, mostly waterfowl occassionally ptarmigan and rabbits. Started out with a Remington 870 wingmaster in 20 ga which my mother bought for me when I was 10 yrs old, then moved up to a Remington 870 wingmaster 12 ga which she also bought for me when I graduated from highschool. Over the years I tried the Winchester 1300 pump and a 1400 semi-auto both in 12 ga. Preferred the 1400 over their pump action, it just took a few seasons using it off and on to smooth out the action and speed up the cycling. Last year I finally decided to buy another new shotgun for myself it is a HK Fabarm FP6 pump action 12 ga, 28" barrel, composite stock and forearm, fiber-optic sight, nice looking flat black finish, light weight too. Haven't even taken it out of the house yet. Whenever it is time to go out hunting for waterfowl I grab the old 870, never even give the HK a thought.
    My son also enjoys hunting waterfowl with me, for years he used a old Remington 870 wingmaster 20 ga which I pieced together from 3 old parts shotguns. Last year he moved up to shooting my 12 ga, so I bought him a used Benelli Nova pump. Unlike me and my HK, he takes his Benelli out every chance he gets. Must be a young guy thing I guess, most of the younger waterfowl hunters here in town all want Benelli Novas. Must be like my generation with our Remington Wingmaster 870s.
    Realized that my old shotgun just doesn't get as much attention and care as it used too. Guess once you get them tuned to your liking they are good for years. Looking at my shotgun it is starting to get a little used up looking, maybe I'll run down to the local hardware store before waterfowl season and buy a can of flat black engine spray paint, used it before on my old 20ga and it did the job, never had to worry about rust again, kept the finish for years. Or maybe I'll get creative and buy two colors so I can spray on a leafy pattern, probably cut some willow branches and spray over them to create the pattern, or maybe I'll keep it just the way it is. Been thinking about replacing the bead sight on it with one of those new fiber-optic sights from Cabela's. Thought about repalcing the wood stock with a new composite but I kinda like the warm feeling of the wood. Scratches, rubspots and peeling varnish on the stock and forearm give my old shotgun character too. One of these days I 'll take out the HK and give it a try. Probably shoot just as good as my old 870, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Anyone into shotgunning? I really have enjoyed hunting with my shotguns for the past 34 yrs, mostly waterfowl occassionally ptarmigan and rabbits. Started out with a Remington 870 wingmaster in 20 ga which my mother bought for me when I was 10 yrs old, then moved up to a Remington 870 wingmaster 12 ga which she also bought for me when I graduated from highschool. Over the years I tried the Winchester 1300 pump and a 1400 semi-auto both in 12 ga. Preferred the 1400 over their pump action, it just took a few seasons using it off and on to smooth out the action and speed up the cycling. Last year I finally decided to buy another new shotgun for myself it is a HK Fabarm FP6 pump action 12 ga, 28" barrel, composite stock and forearm, fiber-optic sight, nice looking flat black finish, light weight too. Haven't even taken it out of the house yet. Whenever it is time to go out hunting for waterfowl I grab the old 870, never even give the HK a thought.
    My son also enjoys hunting waterfowl with me, for years he used a old Remington 870 wingmaster 20 ga which I pieced together from 3 old parts shotguns. Last year he moved up to shooting my 12 ga, so I bought him a used Benelli Nova pump. Unlike me and my HK, he takes his Benelli out every chance he gets. Must be a young guy thing I guess, most of the younger waterfowl hunters here in town all want Benelli Novas. Must be like my generation with our Remington Wingmaster 870s.
    Realized that my old shotgun just doesn't get as much attention and care as it used too. Guess once you get them tuned to your liking they are good for years. Looking at my shotgun it is starting to get a little used up looking, maybe I'll run down to the local hardware store before waterfowl season and buy a can of flat black engine spray paint, used it before on my old 20ga and it did the job, never had to worry about rust again, kept the finish for years. Or maybe I'll get creative and buy two colors so I can spray on a leafy pattern, probably cut some willow branches and spray over them to create the pattern, or maybe I'll keep it just the way it is. Been thinking about replacing the bead sight on it with one of those new fiber-optic sights from Cabela's. Thought about repalcing the wood stock with a new composite but I kinda like the warm feeling of the wood. Scratches, rubspots and peeling varnish on the stock and forearm give my old shotgun character too. One of these days I 'll take out the HK and give it a try. Probably shoot just as good as my old 870, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I'm sure I have two complete sets of wood for the 870's in the shop, these are take offs from guys that wanted after market fiber glass stocks for the 870 Express models. You are well come to them for the price of postage. Should last you a few years. Just PM me for details.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al,
    Thankyou for your kindness and generosity, appreciate it. I will put them to good use. PM sent.

Your welcome, I'm going to put my Kuskokwim bay retriever on the hunt in the shop. I'm glad I finally found someone that can use them. They have been gathering dust for more than ten years.

Come to think of it, they still have the mag plugs and springs. You can use the plugs for show and tell. Nobody will remember what they are for. GOD bless the real America!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson