Thread: Money for meat(ballpark)

Default Money for meat(ballpark)

Lots of info on this topic, looking for most recent data.
    Let's assume I got my moose, goat, bear, fish, caribou etc.
    Let's assume further that I have arrived in Anchorage with my trophies and meat.
    Now I want to ship it south to the 48 less fortunate states, not on the plane as carry-on, but shipped.
    Can someone ballpark me a price per pound for this service?
    How much have you paid in the past to ship a moose?
    How about a bunch of fish? Or a bear skin? How long does it take? Is it still in good shape, edible?
    I have a billion more questions but let us start there.
    Thanks folks

i can't help you with this one - i have family in anchorage, so I get my moose and bou processed in town, stored in town, and get them to send me a care package every now and then of backstrap, stew meat, and sausage. you're making me hungry tho!

I had the hind quaters and the back straps shipped to the lower 48 last year. $550. overnight

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I ship meat from Fairbanks to anchorage every year for sausage making. i use ak sausage and seafood.. Seems like your larger quetion to me is how good is the meat when it gets there. most processors will freese and the ship your meat down to you for a little extra charge. this summer my inlaws had salmon shipped down from the kenai and if i recall it was 165 for 70 lbs of fishm flash frozen and shipped it was still solid when they received it in Pocatello ID... I have always had good luck send my meat air freight on AK air. and if your curious the reson mine is sent to ANch for processing is Fairbanks prosessor interior fish processor cost me an ENTIRE moose. they let it spoil in thier cooler.. mine was first in and last out... they will NEVER get my business again the folks in Anchorage have always been great to deal with and fast too.

Ballpark.... $4/pound. UPS.com and Fedex.com both have shipping rate calculators.

You can ship meat by "priority perishable" on Alaska Airlines to anywhere they fly for less than $1.20 a pound...most places for much less. http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...s_071508v2.pdf

Thumbs up Wow Doug!

Wow Doug!

This is a great resource! So from Kotzebue to zone 6-7 (western states) it will be 82 -87 cents per pound. Good rate guys! If you’re planning a hunt out of Kotz this Fall keep this in mind as I think it is much less than NAC or Fed Ex rates.

Thanks a bunch Doug.
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Exclamation Not quite, Walt

Walt,

That sheet doesn't show Alaska Airlines' fuel surcharge. Effective 8/4/08, that's another 24 cents per pound. That's here.

But before you take advantage of this, you must be a Known Shipper with Alaska Airlines. It's just paperwork, but you have to do it in advance. Info is here.

No doubt other airlines carry freight, I just don't know their rules and stuff.

NAC and Everts are wacking you with the same fuel surcharges. Still way cheaper than FedEx or UPS.

If you had ice, or your meat was frozen you could make it from Kotz to Anchorage no problem. The problem is ice or getting the meat frozen. If it were me I would arrange in Anchorage to spend a couple extra days to get your meat frozen or packaged before moving it on to the lower 48.

I will be moving my gear/meat back and forth from Kodiak on NAC since I can ship fuel bottles and my outboard motor on them without the restrictions of Alaska Airlines.

Thanks for all of the input guys.
    I am doing a bunch of research on the subject and you were helpful.
    I hope to be sending some meat home soon...
    That Ak airlines price, how do you package the meat? is the shipment priority or does it sit and wait for empty space?
    Nick

Alaska Air has a couple of brochures that go over their rules for meat/hides/antlers.

Find 'em here: http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...ng-Hunting.asp

Key take-homes:
    Nothing that leaks.
    Don't seal the box 'till they tell you.

I've shipped cut, packaged meat in plastic-bag lined wet-lock boxes. I've shipped raw hides triple-bagged in wet-lock boxes. I've shipped frozen, unprocessed deer quarters in plastic-bag lined wet-lock boxes.

(There's a pattern emerging here...)

It's definitely best to freeze meat solid through before you get it to the airport. AK air has both priority food rates and standard. Guess which costs more.

They have a really good track record about keeping frozen food frozen even if it has to wait a flight. But if you're going to someplace small or really far distant (I dunno... like Kalispell or Boston), you may want to spend the necessary time on hold to make sure that every transfer point (including the dropoff airport) has a freezer big enough to hold all your meat. Better safe than sorry.