Thread: gun show finds?

Default gun show finds?

So what did you guys get at the gun show and what did you think of the show? I thought this one was better than the last few Anchorage shows but not as good as Palmers. That being said I picked up a Sig Mosquito In like new condition for 250. I saw a few other things I wanted but with the fair coming up a five year old son and his cousin coming with my wife and I better save up for the midway lol.

Didn't buy anything at the gun show, but got a heck of a deal on a Springfield XD-40 over at Mt. View Sport's Hunter Appreciation Sale. Better prices for new than anything I found at the gun show. Wish I needed another Kimber Montana, could have saved 200 bucks.

I saw a couple of those Sig Mosquito's at the show. That looks like a fun pistol. Could put a couple of spruce hens over the fire during moose season with that guy.

I thought the gun show was pretty lame. Half the floor space was filled up with vehicles, ATVs, etc., and there were a LOT of empty tables. Table fee is up to $65 now, so no wonder. Plus, they raised the admission to $7...highest I can remember at the Sully show.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have to agree with gunblade………… it was rather “weak” in my opinion. Still, it was time better spent than on the couch, but not by much. I did buy some bullet casting stuff that was priced reasonably, but the few rifles that piqued my interest were priced so far out of the ballpark that I didn’t even bother to insult the seller with an offer………… I guess I get a little disgusted when I see crap like a Sears “Ted Smith” 30/30 Winchester (arguably the ugliest Mod 94 ever made) offered for $300 +, and yes I know they don’t make them anymore, but come on, they made like a million of them over the years……….. and $300 seems a bit steep for a plane Jane 30/30 with a hideous chunk of black plastic glued onto the front of the forearm if you ask me.

And so it went for me, table after table of seemingly over priced arms. I was in an out in under 2 hours and didn’t see a single person walking out with a gun.

Hopefully the Palmer gun show will prove to be a more worthwhile venture……………..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Gun show buys

I picked up a EAA Witness 9mm compact near new for $200, a Leupold 1.75 x 6 VX III scope as new in the box for $300, and an old Puma White Hunter knife for $30, 6 1 lb. cans of Accurate Arms No. 2 powder for $50 total, and 1600 rds of .38 Spl brass for $10.

Small show but I can't complain. If you think the shows here are bad try the ones in the lower 48!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default pretty weak

This gun show was a disappointment. I would have thought that a gun show in alaska would have had many more booths than it did. I didn't even spend an hour there. I have been to gun shows in the lower 48 that you couldn't get out of there in 3 hours, and that is just walking and looking. I was impressed by some of the booths though. One old timer had an original sharps Quigly rifle. Very rare. But like other people, I noticed a lot of what I saw was over priced. Handguns that you could could to walmart and buy for 50 to 75 dollars cheaper. And the booth with the ammo was selling rounds with cracked brass. I hope I can make it to the palmer show because if the best place to buy a firearm is walmart or some other big store then I can't wait to get back to the lower 48.

Default Was a little smaller than expected

I went to the show to look for a specific gun. Wanted a Remington 700, chambered in a 30-06. Well, I found one, in decent shape with a leopold 4X scope on it. It is an old ADL model (one round at a time), bought it for $425. I'm fairly new at this, but felt I got a fair deal.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder82 View Post
    I went to the show to look for a specific gun. Wanted a Remington 700, chambered in a 30-06. Well, I found one, in decent shape with a leopold 4X scope on it. It is an old ADL model (one round at a time), bought it for $425. I'm fairly new at this, but felt I got a fair deal.
    Not only did you do real fine, you are now ready with proper bullets and handloads to hunt all of Alaska game, with proper bullet placement, you'll not be under gunned.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson