Thread: Differences: Drift boats and rafts

Default Differences: Drift boats and rafts

Fish drift boat Monday last week and notice an overwhelming number a drift boats compared to inflatables on the lower Kenai. I understand that most of these people were guides, but can the average Joe achieve the performance characteristics of a drift boat in an inflatable?
    If so, which rafts/catarafts row the best under the conditions found on the lower Kenai? Will any self bailer do? Will any cataraft do?

Just curious,
    Ben

Default Drift boats

Drift boats are designed to hold in fast water lots of rocker. The best raft that will hold in fast water would probalby be the Aire Super Puma IMHO. I has lots of rocker and will work well. Will never be as comfortable to fish out of as a good drift boat but a good practicle compromise plus you can fly a raft to a remote river. A big plus living here.

Its alot harder to row a raft across and upstream to hit a hole but you can do it in a good drift boat.

Anyone who thinks that any inflatable manufactured today can compare to a modern drift boat for pure fishing purposes is either misinformed or just plain lying to themselves or others. When it comes to holding in faster water or crossing from hole to hole the difference is comparable to a sports car and a station wagon. However, if someone just wanted to be able to move from eddy to eddy and wasn't worried about backtrolling then it becomes less of an issue. Let's face it, how many inflatables have you ever seen fishing 4-5 people plus a rower while holding in the current on the Kenai? Your inflatable, however, can double nicely as a hunting rig, BIG bonus there.

Default Depends on what you want to do.

If you never plan on doing anything remote than a drift boat is the only way to go. Actually even if you plan on floating some streams up north where you may have to portage you would be SOL in a drift boat.

Default Guides?

There are a few guides fun fishing, and a few guiding I'm sure, but they are not supposed to be. The vast majority of the drift boats that you saw on DBM are private, mainly local, joe blow fisherman such as myself. If you enjoyed DBM and want to start fishing it, dont buy a raft, like others have said, they just cant hang!

Default Translation:

Quote Originally Posted by brackman47 View Post
    Anyone who thinks that any inflatable manufactured today can compare to a modern drift boat for pure fishing purposes is either misinformed or just plain lying to themselves or others. When it comes to holding in faster water or crossing from hole to hole the difference is comparable to a sports car and a station wagon. However, if someone just wanted to be able to move from eddy to eddy and wasn't worried about backtrolling then it becomes less of an issue. Let's face it, how many inflatables have you ever seen fishing 4-5 people plus a rower while holding in the current on the Kenai? Your inflatable, however, can double nicely as a hunting rig, BIG bonus there.
    Translation without calling anyone an idiot or a pathological liar: Drift boats work better for holding in current (by anchor or oar), fishing slots, ferrying and such, and are generally more comfortable than rafts (Puma or otherwise). On the other hand, drift boats cannot be taken on a fly-out trip off the grid. In those cases, take a look at the AIRE Puma series with a fishing frame setup.

Now, wasn't that nicer?

:-O

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay