Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvers in Juneau?

Default Silvers in Juneau?

What are the reports on Silvers around Juneau. Last I heard was that they were heading around Pt Retreat about a week ago. What's a good place to get them from shore when they start moving in?

Pt. Retreat is the best place right now if you have a boat. I late august-late september you can catch them from shore at DIPAC, mouth of peterson creek, echo cove, and mouth of auke creek.

Talking

I got 4 fat ones at Hand Trollers Friday and 2 Saturday.

Cool deal. Hopefully I can get out that way this week sometime. I've heard they are running deep right now, about 100ft. What depth were you guys at?

Wow Mark, you did pretty well I'd say.

I went out to Cordwood/False Pt. Retreat on Saturday morning. There wasn't jack out there. Got "humped" once.

Tried one run thru North Pass. Wasn't schitt there either. Caught a couple of butts at Poundstone.

It's going to be an ugly Derby for scholarship fish. I'm waiting to see what ADF&G post for rod-hours. It was 10 hrs per fish the previous week and I don't see that improving much. No creel census at Amalga at 4 pm. They must be cutting way back on their data collection.

Man I fished all day Friday and today. I did not get one fish not even a hit!

Trolled friday and today, one 24 inch feeder king, 2 humpies, and a silver with a chunk missing out of its side from a seal or sealion attack. chauvotsm, from what i saw, the silvers are 25-40 feet down.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Trolled friday and today, one 24 inch feeder king, 2 humpies, and a silver with a chunk missing out of its side from a seal or sealion attack. chauvotsm, from what i saw, the silvers are 25-40 feet down.
    Thanks. Sounds like everyone is doing kinda crappy. Couple of friends didn't have much luck at all for the derby.

Has anyone fished in the Excursion Inlet area? We are coming up Aug. 21 thru Sept. 8th and hope to get into some silvers. I guess if the silvers don't show up we will have to target the halibut. Good luck everyone.

28 rod hours for a 'ho during the derby! Holy Crap! I'm used to silvers being measured in rod MINUTES! Glad I wasn't here for that bore-fest! ;-)

Not that it really belongs in "Juneau Fishing", but 5-Finger yielded limits of 'butt every day, as did a less-than-secret spot epw was telling me about a while back...

Excursion is great for 'butts - was just there yesterday. If there are salmon along Homeshore, you'll be dragging with the power trollers... didn't see anyone else fishing for silvers yesterday in that neck of the woods...

I guess I'm back to the back-side of Douglas today to look for the elusive 48" King! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Case,

Sorry i didnt get you that position for the less-than-secret spot, but it sounds like you may have found it anyway. Glad it worked out for you.

Okay, if you're not catching cohos here in Juneau yet, you're just not trying... things are HOT everywhere between Cross Sound and the Taku River...

If you're resident (can keep kings over 28") try the Cordwood/False Retreat area or the back side of douglas where the 150' contour extends from Middle Point to Skull Island. We've been seeing a good mix of feeder kings and large coho. Surprisingly, very few pinks are mixed in, but maybe that's technique?

Elfin Cove saw all 9 boats from one lodge limit on coho before 10 am over the weekend. Everyone was anchored fishing halibut to kill time all day long...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Looking up going into the weekend

Things definately changed in the past few days. After a glorious 76 D day on Tues, it looked like some silvers were showing at DIPAC.

I caught 5 in 1.5 hours after work today. Not real big, but real bright. Watched a guy from WYO land 3 on a fly rod nextg to me in about 15 minutes. He was in heaven. Of course I was lobbing Klawock spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Things definately changed in the past few days. After a glorious 76 D day on Tues, it looked like some silvers were showing at DIPAC.

I caught 5 in 1.5 hours after work today. Not real big, but real bright. Watched a guy from WYO land 3 on a fly rod nextg to me in about 15 minutes. He was in heaven. Of course I was lobbing Klawock spinners.
    Saw about 10 pulled up at DIPAC in about 30 min yesterday. Broke my reel before I could get one. I'll be hitting it up again this weekend if I can sneak away from the wife.

went out today at north pass fished for a couple hours got on up to the boat and lost it but it was just getting to ruff to stay out so we headed back

we shocked 114 coho in the shock box at dipac yesterday (6 Thursday) so they are in

Default Looks like good year from the shore

I went out last night and threw some spinners and picked up 2 real quick. After that I started to head back to the rig and saw the F&G sign saying the limit was 6 where I was at so I went back down and caught 3 more in 3 casts. I'm thinking that it's gonna be a good fall for coho's in the streams. I've gotta can a few before I can fit anymore in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    ...I'm thinking that it's gonna be a good fall for coho's in the streams...
    I remember when Juneau had great coho fishing in September and well into October... maybe this "global climate change" thing is really just getting back to the part of the cycle we remember from 20-30 years ago...?

Going out for myself tomorrow morning. We've been hitting 1 or 2 nice kings daily. I'm getting tired of tossing them back fishing with non-residents... time to keep one! If anyone's wondering where the kings are, it's in my super secret spot that rhymes with Point Schmilda...

Good fishing all!
    -Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    we shocked 114 coho in the shock box at dipac yesterday (6 Thursday) so they are in
    I watched them literally "purse seining" in the upper holding tank at the top of the fish ladder. Looked like a hoot. Cost recovery, I presume.

I've got too many fish in the cooler right now. Did a little bit of spotting from the approach dock for the folks down on the beach. That was a hoot too. Pretty good deal if you got spotters working for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    I remember when Juneau had great coho fishing in September and well into October... maybe this "global climate change" thing is really just getting back to the part of the cycle we remember from 20-30 years ago...?

Going out for myself tomorrow morning. We've been hitting 1 or 2 nice kings daily. I'm getting tired of tossing them back fishing with non-residents... time to keep one! If anyone's wondering where the kings are, it's in my super secret spot that rhymes with Point Schmilda...
    Don't write off mid September quite yet.

I've been at False Retreat and the Pass and you literally couldn't keep a line in the water. Rafts of coho's at the surface - you could seen them finning right on top.

Let go a $1,000 butt this weekend. I'm sure it went 200#. We just let her go. Settled on a couple of smaller ones.

Default See my post in "Open Seat"...

Anyone wanna go play with the 'hos from shore or from a beach via 12' skiff? I'm cleaning the Can Can and don't want to get her dirty unless it's a paid charter, but I'd love to get the fly rods out and have some fun... anyone?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast