Thread: Anyone have problems with their Yamaha 115

Default Anyone have problems with their Yamaha 115

I was looking for an outboard and went into Anchorage Yamaha, which now only sells Suzuki outboards. The guy in the shop said the Yamaha 115 motors have a habit of powerheads going after about 500hrs. Anyone had this happen to them? He recommended a suzuki 115 or 140.

I was leaning toward Yamaha or Honda, but I think the extra weight of the Honda is too much for the boat it's going on.

Thanks for any info.

Default 115

i run a 115 on a 22' sea runner and haven't had any problems yet but this is my 3rd year and do not have 500 hrs on it yet just around 120 hrs with out a problem. starts quick and runs quiet. still wish i went with a bigger motor but glad i got more boat than more motor.

I have received good advice from Anchorage Yamaha (so far). The mechanic has been helpful and professional. I have a 115 Suzuki and have not had a problem yet that was not dealer induced (another dealer, not Anchorage Yamaha).

Does Suzuki still have the 7 year warranty? It was at least a year longer than the other manufacturers. When I bought mine, it was 3 years longer than Yamaha.

Default 115 yam

I had 700 hrs on mine and know of several with a lot more than that, some as much as 2000, with no prob so far. I really like mine, but nothing lasts forever.

My bro-in law has a 115 with low hours that had some issues and ultimately turned out to have a few bad fuel injectors and this was under 100 hrs.

Oil pumps can sometimes give out leading to the engine failures, happened to me once before but had at least 1k hours on it. I have been happy with the F115's I have owned, current one has about 700 hours so far. About 200 were put on by my dad, it was his first. I bought him a new one last year and put his on my boat. Suzuki makes a good outboard, but I'd buy a Mercury first but never from the Anchorage dealer as they suck in service and prices.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Suzuki

I really LOVE my Suzuki DF140. It's small framed for it's size, lightweight, and very smooth and quiet.

I had yamahas on my last 2 boats without issues, but I think the Suzuki is just as good or perhaps better if you want something in the 140-150 range.

I was told a similar story at the same store, There are probably more 115 Yamahas running around on boats up here then any other make that size, I sure havent personally talked to anyone that has had a problem, I had a 17 wooly w/ that motor and it worked great. I think they are an excellent powerplant.
    With that being said I now have a 20 foot boat and have DF140 on it, and it is a great motor, it weighs about the same as the Yam 115, its quieter, runs a bigger pump (jet) and so far is phenomenal on fuel "IMO". If you can afford the DF, I am sure you would not be dissapointed.
    I dont think you could wrong w/ either motor, I just hate to see a dealer bad rap another brand that they no longer sell!!!
    I know Deweys had some good deals on Yam 115's, about 9K this spring w/ jet, unless all sold?

I've heard some of the yammy 115's had problems "making oil" The rings wouldn't properly seal and then fuel would get into the oil and cause the oil level to rise, as well as the oil being deluted by the fuel.

I have a suzuki 140 and love it, great power and fuel efficient. The guys at Anchorage Yamaha are top notch.

That said I know a few folks with 115 yamahas that are very happy with them.

Thanks for the input guys. I've read some of the same things about making oil, but there also seem to be more Yamaha's out there to be brought in for service, which may make it appear the problem is common when really it's not any higher than other brands.

Thanks again.

Yamaha F115's are everywhere on the Yukon, most popular hands down.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

This is my second year with these units, and so far (almost 200 hours) they've been flawless. I change the engine oil and lower case oil religiously, and I seldom run at WOT - usually in the 4500-4800 rpm range. I haven't heard too many bad things about them, and based on the number of Hewescrafts out there running them in AK, I'd guess there are more of them out there on the water than any other make/model.

Cheers,

SH

Smile my 115/80

Has run perfect with no issues. Change the oil, make sure you stay on top of things and you'll be fine. You might see more Yamaha's in for service because I think there is a 8 to 2 ratio for Yamaha's. Nothing against the other brands, but it seems Yamaha has the major market plus good service is available at most places, including Anchorage Yamaha. I hear a lot of good things about Suzuki's as well. I converted to Yamaha's about 4 years ago and have been extremely pleased with all my toy's i.e. 4-wheelers, Viking snow machine, and outboard. All have been good to me... Good luck.

I have a 2003 F115 with 350 hours on it that lost the seals on it's oil pump and the thermostat failed earlier this year at about 250 hours. I was told that Yamaha had a problem with these seals failing until model year 2005. Other than change oil & spark plugs, this is the only problems I have had.