Thread: Is this normal for a M70 CRF?

Default Is this normal for a M70 CRF?

Classic in .458. When a fired case is ejected normally the case flips 180* and smacks the back of the reciever putting a dent in the side of the case mouth and leaves a brass mark where it hits. My first crf m70 so just wondering.

P.S. Is it also normal for my shoulder to hurt after 13 rounds?

EDIT: oops, this should probably be up in the "shooting" forum.

It sounds like the extractor is a little tight. The cases should kick out to the side and how far they kick should be dependent on the speed of the bolt throw.

Messing with the extractor is not something for a home smith to try. I would take it to a gunsmith and he should be able to fix up fairly easily.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Talking Going off the bench and bags?

See if it does the same thing going offhand.
    Oh, and, yes, 13 rounds of .458 will sore you up some. Next time, try to keep it to twelve rounds or less..........this simple rule does not apply, of course, to those of us who possess superhuman qualities. Your results may vary.

I was shooting off hand when it happened. Just twice but it did it both times. When I'm at the bench I usually cover the bolt with my left hand to keep from having to chase brass. I'll try it both ways again today ...er...um... maybe I'll have someone else do it.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    I was shooting off hand when it happened. Just twice but it did it both times. When I'm at the bench I usually cover the bolt with my left hand to keep from having to chase brass. I'll try it both ways again today ...er...um... maybe I'll have someone else do it.
    If you haven't shot big boys much, here's a worthwhile tip for offhand shooting. Once you are pretty well lined up, remind yourself to let your waist go a little slack so your upper body can swing back under recoil. That absorbs a whole bunch of the force and takes a bunch of the bite out with a properly fitted gun. Most guys learn to stiffen up their waist along with everything else when shooting lighter cals, and it costs you with the big stuff.

When I was a lot younger I used to shoot a lot with a guy who owned British doubles of just about every caliber and description. He could shoot all day long without complaint or ill effect, and I would get the holy tarnation knocked out of me. Yet I'm 6'4" and 220, and this guy was an honest-to-goodness squirt at about 5'6" and 140 or so! He finally got tired of laughing at me, or at least tired of listening to me whine, and showed me how to do it.