Thread: New Bitz and need for fletchings

Default New Bitz and need for fletchings

So I was robed of a fishing trip and chance too see freinds in homer last week by a friend who is increasingly on the poo list. Tracy took pity on me and came home with a brand new bitzenburger fletching jig! Anyone have a good source for feather fletchings? Better yet anyone hunt water fowl and willing to save me a few right wings? Best anyone hunt geese or cranes with a bow and willing to teach me? ( My friend Fritz in Michigan hunts them from a pit blind in a farmers field with decoys???? Man I wish I had gone waterfowl hunting more than once with him.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Nice job on the arrows.
    Might try this guy for fletching
    http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/
    I know he sells finished arrows so I assume he'd sell feathers.
    He also sells "Easy on arrow wraps". I use a similiar product & they are nice in that they give an easy "cap color" on the arrows, & they also make it easier to re=fletch later.
    I also use fletching tape rather than glue with good results. Just easier to work with.

I often deal with these guys & have been happy with them.
    http://www.3riversarchery.com/
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks Vance, the helical clamp should be here midle of the week.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I do all my on-line archery purchases with www.lancasterarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Anyone have a good source for feather fletchings? Better yet anyone hunt water fowl and willing to save me a few right wings? Best anyone hunt geese or cranes with a bow and willing to teach me? ( My friend Fritz in Michigan hunts them from a pit blind in a farmers field with decoys???? Man I wish I had gone waterfowl hunting more than once with him.)
    I have a hunting dvd by Double Bull Archery where they are sitting in their ground blinds in MN amongst a spread of Canada decoys calling in birds and shooting them with bow and arrow. Early season hunting where the local birds are pretty naive yet.

Let me look through my supply of turkey feathers, I might have some I'm willing to part with...

Thanks for the video reference and I'll see if I can locate a copy. I'd sure appreciate any feathers you might want too send my way. Like everything else I do I've gotten really passionate about traditional archery and I cant wait to do some experimenting with different types of fletchings and feathers used for fletchings. In a ideal world I'd harvest the feathers myself and I plan too, if I can find a kind soul willing to let me tag along or some really dumb geese/cranes. Thing is my plate is already way overfull this fall.

Again thanks all.
    BHA Member

I'm so dumb, been trying to put together a hunt/visit to Michigan but timing is off for everybody. A spring turkey hunt might just fit the bill!
    BHA Member

Kustum King Archery, Three Rivers Archery are about the best for any traditional archery products.

I am right handed so I shoot left wing feathers so they clear and start to rotate as they go passed the arrow self. I have two blitzenburgers with helical and I set the angle at say 30% their adjestment. I shoot three five inch yellow perabolic feathers and my arrow looks like a tenise ball flying away. So I can see just where I hit.

Actually been thinking about ordering some feather dye I found on line. Thing is I shoot carbon shafts and although I like the way they preform they are butt ugly! So I want fletchings that are the color of a bruise, seriously, if they have too be ugly lets make them down right repulsive! I mean so nasty looking that if you saw them at the range you'd be afraid too touch them, for fear they are contagious. I'm talking so ugly sitka blacktails drop over dead from fear of the sight of these arrows. I'm talking Goblin King's personal weapon ugly.

Tracy has gone the other route bright pink fletchings on pink white and purple cresting! You cant loose them and a thief would die of embarrassment if he were caught. BTW still blacktail killers, hard to run away when your laughing hysterically.
    BHA Member

Default cresting

are you cresting them already? That is contagious - and can fill long winter nights

Tracy's arrows were purchased the way they are, but after I get back from sheep I'm planning on starting cresting.( tape wraps are cheating BTW) I'm an artist who loves functional art, give my something creative and useful to make and I really run with it! I have done a few spliced fletchings though, reminds me allot of marrying feathers for classic salmon flies, easier but similar process.
    BHA Member

Rick, I understand tape wraps are cheating, but the reason I like them is they are functional. When you ned to refletch yoy heat them with a hair dryer & off them come along with the feathers. When the feathers are glued straight to the shaft you have to scrape the old glue off. I hate scraping carbon arrows with something sharp....
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Agreed they are convenient but not for me. I don't mind the scraping so much and I get allot out of the process of fletching or for that matter any creative endeavour.
    BHA Member

Mrs. Rick P here(Tracy)

Rick is nuts, wraps are the way to go. Beautiful and simple.

We're off to shoot a few rounds. Later
    BHA Member