Thread: First trip to Alaska next week-Any last minute advice?

Currently live in Austin, TX. Born near Pittsburgh, PA, and lived in CO for 8 years.

Default First trip to Alaska next week-Any last minute advice?

A buddy and I are taking our first fishing trip to Alaska next week. Flying in to Anchorage on Saturday. We're then heading to Homer for one flyout fishing trip, two days of halibut fishing and a day or two of chasing Silvers on the Anchor.

Any last minute advice on what to bring and what to be prepared for? We're going with charters and/or guides except for on the drive to Homer and back. We're planning on borrowing some gear from friends in Anchorage so we can stop and fish on the way down and back, although we'll probably just take in the sights and enjoy the drive, weather permitting.

I've been lurking and learning on this forum and thought I'd actually ask for some advice. I've already learned a lot from reading all of the posts. This forum is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Im at the airport right now. Flying away from what was the best trip in my life BY FAR.

This is my only advice for you:

Dont sleep until you go back home.

If you take my advice, you will not regret it.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Currently live in Austin, TX. Born near Pittsburgh, PA, and lived in CO for 8 years.

Thanks for the advice. I sleep like a baby on planes and boats running to fishing spots. The rest of the time, I'll plan on keeping fishing line wet.

Default Anchor

Be sure to check out Deep Creek and Ninilchik River. They are near the Anchor and you may find some great fishing there. They run into the ocean in that area. For silver lures, be sure to get some 1/2 to 7/8 ounce Pixies in pink/silver. Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in size number 4-5 pink with nickel spinner works great too. For chums, if applicable, try same lures in chartreuse/silver. Soldotna Hardware (I believe is the name) is on the right as you go through Soldotna on the way to Homer. Very well stocked fishing place and it would be worth stopping there. They sell licenses and such too. I am sure you will have a great trip. Be sure to share your results here on the forum when you get back.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Soldotna

I suggest stopping in Soldotna on the way down and/or on the way back from Homer to fish for silvers in the Kenai. A few forum members say the run is going strong right now and there's no reason it won't still be going strong by the time you pass through. There's quite a bit of public access around Soldotna and it's usually not too hard to get permission to fish in other areas as well (such as places where you have to pull over on a side road and walk past someone's cabin to get to river bank). As far as what lures to throw, I prefer 1/2oz and 3/4oz Acme Sidewinder spoons but the most popular lures are big Vibrax spinners (size 5), Pixie spoons (silver/orange or silver/green), and a lot of people also like Krocodile spoons. I always tip spoons with a little 2/3" piece of saltwater Gulp (tear drop-shaped so it doesn't affect spoon's action).

Just keep in mind how huge the Kenai is. For best results, you'll want a long rod with at the very least 14lb test and a lure whose weight and/or good aerodynamics allows you to cast it "a mile." Yeah, people catch plenty of fish via 6ft rods, 25yd casts, and 1/3oz baits but when your time is limited there's no reason to not have your lure in the strike zone as much as possible (via long casts with a good bait).

If you don't have many spoons or big spinners, don't worry. Soldotna has a couple of really good tackle shops. Neither carried Sidewinders last summer though. :-( But they had the other lures mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by GMad PACOTX View Post
    A buddy and I are taking our first fishing trip to Alaska next week. Flying in to Anchorage on Saturday. We're then heading to Homer for one flyout fishing trip, two days of halibut fishing and a day or two of chasing Silvers on the Anchor.

Any last minute advice on what to bring and what to be prepared for? We're going with charters and/or guides except for on the drive to Homer and back. We're planning on borrowing some gear from friends in Anchorage so we can stop and fish on the way down and back, although we'll probably just take in the sights and enjoy the drive, weather permitting.

I've been lurking and learning on this forum and thought I'd actually ask for some advice. I've already learned a lot from reading all of the posts. This forum is awesome. Thanks for sharing.