Thread: Seward Report

Default Seward Report

Heading down in a little bit to do some evening fishing.

Looking to see how are the silvers doing?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default They are still at Pony

However, getting them to bite is an entirely another matter.....lots of boats, a ton of fish finder marks, and little action. I would say, in general, that there is a good chance of getting a limit there if the bite comes on. They had lockjaw for me yesterday. The bottom fish, well they were more than cooperative at their usual spots and that saved the day.

In my opinion, they have moved into the bay and spread out, it's a matter of finding them now. It seemed slow out at Pony on Wednesday. We hooked into a few at Sunny Cove--one huge one snapped off my vibrax and jumped three times with the lure hanging out it's mouth. I had several reports of people already snagging them at the culverts in town. That seemed freakishly early.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    In my opinion, they have moved into the bay and spread out, it's a matter of finding them now. It seemed slow out at Pony on Wednesday. We hooked into a few at Sunny Cove--one huge one snapped off my vibrax and jumped three times with the lure hanging out it's mouth. I had several reports of people already snagging them at the culverts in town. That seemed freakishly early.
    My wife's sister caught a 22 pound silver on my boat on Thursday while trolling the cliffs near Caine's Head. I guess she should have played it out for about a week......I think you are right - they are scattered around here and there. If it helps any, I saw a LOT of jumpers around Hat Island and into the narrows and not many boats fishing them.

Fished Pony Cove Friday afternoon and had about 2 hours of action. We pulled in 5 silvers and 5 pinks. 2 of the Silvers were in the 20# range. They looked huge next to the other fish. Tried Pony again Sat morning and lost 4 with none in the boat. Action was much slower and the only fish we got close to the boat was a pink. Moved back towards Callisto Head and pulled in 3 silvers. Fish in both spots, but a lot fewer boats at Callisto head and the trollers weren't quite as aggressive. The seas were great and it was impressive some of the boats people take out to Pony Cove. Saw one boat that looked like a bathtub with an outboard.

I hit the water Sat night around 6pm and fished tell about 11pm. We had 3 take downs and landed one. Also got a sea gull that flew in are line(catch and release). Water was glass once you got out a little was from the harbor. Had a good time that night. Never fished Seward at night before.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Rez Silvers st all

All in all a great weekend. Passed on the group fishery at Pony Cove and headed out passed Aialik cape and mooched around a few jumpers. Very consisted action. Easy Limits if desired. Overnighted back in Coleman bay and chased flatties on a little hump near there. That was slow, but productive. Picked up a massive Ling (57lbs) and a few more silvers outside the bay on the way home. Flat as a pancake out there last night. Just awesome

Sounds liek you had a great trip. Anytime you can get that water that flat it's all good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Passed on the group as well

Could not believe the water all weekend. Launched Friday afternoon, caught a limit of Halibut at Cape Puget. Spent the night at Little Johnstone Bay. Picked up 4 nice Silvers in Johnstone Bay Saturday morning and 2 more west of Pinnacel Rock. Second limit of Halibut at Six Mile and back to Resurrection Bay. Saw a lot of fishing but little catching. Spent the night in Sunny Cove. Caught 2 more Silvers at Callisto Head Sunday morning and lost 5. Beautiful flat water all weekend hardly missed the sun it was so nice.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

i fished off the south end of fox saturday and sunday and managed our 2 person limit but took awhile. there is so much bait there that i think they are full and not hungry and they had full bellies when filleted. sounded around caines and yes there are fish there. heard of fish being caught pretty much all over inside the bay but not hot anywhere. and yes the fish are big this year.

Default Silvers in the Bay

So I would say from reading the post that trolling around Fox. Cains Head and Hat Island should produce?
    Questions...how deep were the fish holding at? how far behind the boat is normal for trolling with downriggers...got two 12lb balls and normally try to keep it around 2mph, depending on the weather etc? lastly...how big are the schools and what specifically am I looking for with the fishfinder...a few fish at 30ft or a huge school? What seems to be the norm...was thinking of heading to pony cove..but seems I might be able to pulll a few out of the bay.

Thanks for the help...

Default Report

I was out yesterday, boated one silver and broke a few off due to some new guys working the rods/riggers. There were lot's of fish on the sonar but not many biters unless you were after pinks, we couldn't keep them off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    ...how big are the schools and what specifically am I looking for with the fishfinder...a few fish at 30ft or a huge school?
    Thanks for the help...
    Fish finders at best are good for telling the water depth. Sometimes I see schools of fish, sometimes I see nothing but we're still catching. Sometimes I can see my downrigger weights, other times nothing. First see what everyone else is doing and how productive they are. If they are all mooching but not catching I would try trolling. I mostly troll one @ 20' and one @ 30' and vary my depth based on boats present and weather. Busy sunny days I may troll 50-60' deep. Fish far enough behind your boat (30-40') so if you plow through the middle of a school they have time to regroup when your bait comes through. If mooching come up with a way to know how deep your bait is so you can duplicate productive depths on multiple rods. When you find something that works for you stick with it, get your limit and experiment later.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM