Thread: Game Meat through Canada

Default Game Meat through Canada

Is there a limit on how much game meat you can take through Canada. Would like to take a deep freezer full in the spring.

Thanks.

I'm not aware of one, but I wouldnt try something like 200 dead moose, or whatever. But as far as a freezer with a bear/caribou/moose frozen and wrapped... no, its not a problem, but you have to go to fish and game and get this declaration for to "declare" the meat inside. 1-moose, 2-caribou, etc... shouldnt have any problem with that. I havent done it, but have been checkin into it as well for the same reasons as you. Call fish and game, they have the form.

Northern

Thanks Northern. That is what I thought. Just need to make sure I cross the "T"s and dot the "I"s. Maybe 2 moose between me and the wife.

Default Partial Correction

Dan,
    I need to make a partial correction. I called F & G this morning to ask about the form and they referred me the "federal office" (what ever that office is) in Anchorage. They said there are 2 forms that you have to fill out. If you were shipping it, it would only be one form, but since you are actually carrying through Cananda, there is a 2nd form. The number to the "federal office" F & G gave me is listed below:
    907-271-6198

I would also contact the U.S. Border where you are crossing to ask what paperwork you need. Last yeat my parent got there steak (beef) taken from them at the Montana border (U.S. side) because they did not have there receipts to show it was bought in the U.S.

The New Regulations, Page 23, right column probably answers most questions.

AKpegleg: the forms will allow you to carry as "noncommercial items", as apposed to meat market beef.