Thread: Saltwater spinning reels for halibut

Default Saltwater spinning reels for halibut

Guys i have a problem. I HATE level winders! With the reel on top you are fighting gravity when fighting a fish. the rod always wants to flip over. I am looking for a heavy duty spinning reel that can take up to 75lb butts. I will put it on one of my Ugly stick HD rods and i know the rod will work just fine but i need a reel for it and dont want to spend a fortune on it. any thoughts?

The Penn Spinfisher in the largest size is probably your best bet in a reasonably priced spinning reel to do what you want.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...380&hasJS=true

The Fin-Nor Offshores in the larger sizes are another good pick.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...380&hasJS=true

All the others I would suggest are between $600=$1000 (Zee Baas, Van Stahl, Accurate)

Default + 1

on the penn,, the 6500 should haul em in with no problem..

Default Older penn spinfisher reels

I don't know if the link will work, but here's a Penn 9500. It should be able to pull in some pretty hefty butts. I used to use a 750SS and it was a pretty stout reel. The 9500 should work great for your application. If you can find a 950ss, the older version, it'd even be better. They are some pretty beefy reels.... Good luck.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Penn-9500ss-spin...QQcmdZViewItem

I have looked at the Penn reels and i cant find if you can disengage the anti reverse. I have to have a reel when i can back reel if i want to. does anyone know if you can back reel with them?

Default Spinning reel

I'm not sure why you'd want to back reel, but the spinfishers have a lever you can use to disengage the anti-reverse...

I grew up with a reel that had no drag. I got used to back reeling. I took a 19lb snot rocket on 4lb and never once used the drag. With Buts i would let the drag do the work but i just never have had 100% faith in my drag. My backreeling has my total faith. I cant remember the last fish i lost with a snapped line. Cant see the lever in any of the pics of a 750 or 950ssm

Default Penn SS models

I looked at the new Spinfisher reels. Looks like they don't have the anti-reverse lever that the older models have. So, you're either out of luck, or you'd have to buy an older model. You can get some good deals on eBay. These reels are tough, so getting one used shouldn't be a problem...