Thread: 378 wby mag for bear

Default 378 wby mag for bear

anyone have any experiance with one on a big bear or moose ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner378 View Post
    With proper bullet placement you have a chance of putting one down.

I think that anyone that wants to pack one for bear, should fire off a few rounds prone, and from the bench before you bring it to Alaska. It would help you in your selection of another rifle to bring up for your hunt.

That ctg is a killer on both ends, really shines for Africa dangerous game, just a tad to much for the thin skin Alaska bears and moose.

But hey, if that's what makes you happy....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Not me personally, did some reading as a youngster and one of my favorite reads was on the Alaskan bear guide-Hal Waugh. He backed up many hunters with his .378 Wthby with iron sights, called er "Nan". Thats when the bears where up to 10-12ft. on the norm

How long have you had the rifle/caliber? I used in the past my .375RUM on big grizzlies and knocks them down easily. Sold the darn thing due to Rems newer and improved bolt-opens with safety on and with a round chambered, aluminum floorplate and trigger guard-would bang up easily on a fall.

It was nonetheless one fine/superb shooter, printing shots that were touching @100yds! Still have alot of the bullets and brass for that, may make a .375-.458 with one of my Rem. Model 30's

oh well, I'd better get.

good shooting

Default 378 recoil

the markv comes with an accubreak. i did shoot it off hand witout, and did bounce off my head. lol. accubreak is back on, it kicks about the some as my 8mm rem mag. i was going to get a 375 and got a good deal one the 378. with hand loads ( 300 gr tsx ) through the traps was 3030 fps vel.
    groups are touching each other.
    thanks for your help

Hal's "Big Nan" was a Win M70 375 H&H rechambered to 375 WBY.

Default .378

I've killed a couple bears and a few caribou with one. I doubt there is anything on this planet that it won't kill.

I have several friends with them, and I've shot their rifles but never hunted with them. The recoil is definitely there, but not enough to shy me away if I felt the need for the extra power the rifle offers. But you will go through lots of that expensive ammo learning to shoot the rifle well enough to justify its extra reach. Flat trajectory isn't going to do you much good for long range shooting if you can't hold well.

Along those lines, that usually means some kind of rested shooting for long shots, and that's where the rifle will "get" you. All the folks I know who own one have been scoped, but good, when shooting from field rests. And it turns out all of them started out with whatever scope they had on hand. They've all gone back and rescoped their guns with Leopold VXIII models for their longer eye relief and suffered no more problems. The 1.5x5 version predominates, if I recall correctly.

Yup the recoil is there, but no big deal when you learn to handle it. But you're going to go through several hundred rounds of ammo learning to do that right. Have you priced the ammo? Here is the cheapest I could find in a quick look on the web. At $86.25 for a box of 20, shooting ten boxes or 200 rounds I am convinced you need for practice is going to cost you $862.50. Time for a reloading outfit, if you don't already own one.

thanks brownbear, i've had this 378 for about 1 1/2 yrs now. i do reload for it, use 270 hornady. your right not cheap but seems like anything high preformance you pay for it. as for scope i have a 2 1/2 to 8 vari-3 leupold. recoil isn't bad with accubrake on it. for a big gun it is accurate. i guess i didn't need it , just wanted it .

i guess i didn't need it , just wanted it .
    In my book that's the best reason to buy a gun. How else could I justify buying four new traditional muzzleloaders in the last month? Shoot what you love, and love what you shoot. And if anyone doesn't like it, laugh at them. They're just spouting off cuzz they feel lonely without an audience.

got that right, most of the stuff i have i don't need!