Thread: Just Gotta Laugh

Default Just Gotta Laugh

I posted this here as it is related to handguns. I just purchased a new Glock 20 and was looking for some Ameriglo Sights and thought I would look at Ebay. Found some sights but noticed they wanted to charge extra to ship to Alaska, What else is new. So I emailed them asking why.
    Check the bottom of this for thier reply.
    Dear ultimatearms,

Do you have any sights that fit the Glock 20?
    Also what's the deal with shipping to the lower 48? An item such as this site should not cost any more to ship up here to Alaska?

- nwdigicom
    Answer the question

Item and user detailsItem Title:AMERIGLO DAY-NIGHT TRITIUM GLOW SIGHT FITS GLOCK PISTOLItem Number:320275818058Item URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320275818058End Date:Aug-16-08 10:05:13 PDTFrom User:nwdigicom (197)96.2% Positive Feedback

Sorry, but we only ship here in the USA. thanks anyway

Thanks,
    Customer Service

Toll Free 1-800-535-4213

Local: 732-658-5579
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default What a shame

Well I wonder who would answer the hone if we all called there? What country would they be from? This is a crying shame and I htink a lot of it goes back to how the Gov (Big and local) is telling us how we can raise our kids. When I was in school they could swat the hell out of you for a number of things, now they have to watch giving you a detention. The Gov has made it so our kids have the upper hand in everything and when it comes to school...well the teachers just pass them along so they do not have to deal with it.
    And watch out ................[edited]................but you will never hear anyone say that cause they would not want to oppress anyone else or upset someone that decided they wanted to live here vs their destroyed, dictator driven country.
    Man did I get off subject, but crap like this pisses me off and if they were born here and educated here and cannot figure out where Alaska is and that we are a state and part of the United States they need to be shipped off. And to send that in an email is even worse...****
    Sorry had to vent
    Greg
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-02-2008 at 11:55.

Default Tried to call

I tried to call when I got home from work just to see who would answer or just to see what kind of accent they had but they were closed.
    I went over to Glock Talk and they had some info on where to purchase sights. But had to post this as some just don't have a clue.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

That ain't nothing. A major manufacture used to send me gun parts for repair of there product, and they always sent to customs first. This went on for years, no matter how many times I told them in letters and phone calls that we have been a State since 1959. They would not stop the practice. This went on until High Standard went bankrupt.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

And you want to shoot a pistol produced by people of that intelligence level?

Default Say What?

The people who market the sights and are gouging on shipping don't manufacture the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    And you want to shoot a pistol produced by people of that intelligence level?
    NO, But as a pistol team armour, we had many of them to support. Seeing as how other team member wanted to use them, the military felt it was incumbent to keep them shooting. Not everyone shared my feelings of what shoot better for me, in fact I was the only one in the detachment that shot the S&W 41. Later after I got out of the service and went into full time gunsmith in Fairbanks the general public customers bought and used more models.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

My wife got off an International Flight in San Francisco (she had never been there before)...after she cleared customs, she asked an airport worker where the gates were for flights to Alaska. They told her to go back into the International Terminal

Default shipping greed

Just checked with a vendor who had an auction on Auction Arms for a Kel-Tec belt clip for the P32. It is metal, weighs maybe an ounce. This vendor apparently uses UPS ONLY for their own convenience and also charges shipping according to the amount you paid for the item, and the little belt clip would cost me about $12.00 while shipping would be $8.99. When I asked them why, they said that in some places in the Lower 48, it might cost more!

It reminds me of the whining Alaska gets about the cost of out-of-state licenses and tags. I call it getting even. Suppose a trade could be worked?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It reminds me of the whining Alaska gets about the cost of out-of-state licenses and tags. I call it getting even. Suppose a trade could be worked?
    Well see who's whinning when we decide to keep OUR oil for ourselves

Heck maybe we should the the feds where to go and drill ANWR, sell to the chinese and make a killing.

OHHH now we are part of USA eh!!!!

Default Not just gun parts and airlines

I bid on a KVM switch last year on ebay. Before bidding, I thought ahead and inquired as to if the vendor shipped to Alaska but did not get an answer before bidding closed (a full day). So I bid, and won the item. Then I got the answer that they did not ship to Alaska.

So, I inquired as to what to do. No answer for several days. I was stuck with a winning bid and an email saying they would not ship my item to me.

What to do? Should I pay for the item and then ask for a refund? After several unanswered emails from me to the vendor, he tagged me as a "No Pay", so I tagged the vendor as a "No Delivery".

THAT got his attention. He agreed to ship the switch by U.S. Post Office.

Now, In the advertisement he specified a flat fee for shipping. When the item arrived, I noticed that the postage was more than that fee. So, I sent an email noting what I had observed and offering to pay the extra money.

I got a very terse (just short of nasty) answer firmly stating that their shipping fee was firm and they did not care to discuss any adjustment for any difference in actual vs their flat rate.

I gave up arguing with them.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

How about this. My brother in law (Alaska born and raised) went down to Virginia for some military training a couple years ago. When he got to the facility the people working the desk wouldn't let him get checked in. They looked at his Alaska ID's and said Alaska wasn't part of the U.S. and he wasn't a US citizen. His parents had to send down a copy of his birth certificate before they would budge. Took him over a day and a half to get his paperwork through. What could he do but laugh at the people's stupidity. It would actually be funny if it weren't our own military.

I've shipped quite a few construction items to Alaska and have had a few laughs at other people's expense because of it. "It's not a state, you can't get there by road, where is Alaska, etc".

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    How about this. My brother in law (Alaska born and raised) went down to Virginia for some military training a couple years ago. When he got to the facility the people working the desk wouldn't let him get checked in. They looked at his Alaska ID's and said Alaska wasn't part of the U.S. and he wasn't a US citizen. His parents had to send down a copy of his birth certificate before they would budge. Took him over a day and a half to get his paperwork through. What could he do but laugh at the people's stupidity. It would actually be funny if it weren't our own military.

I've shipped quite a few construction items to Alaska and have had a few laughs at other people's expense because of it. "It's not a state, you can't get there by road, where is Alaska, etc".
    Reminds me of the experience a good friend had in Tucson, Arizona. He got cornered in a parking lot by a buncha beer swilling rednecks with a rebel flag flying from their car antennae. Gave him a buncha grief about going back where he came from. "This is America and your kind is not welcome. Buncha foreigners takin over the country!" You know the kinda swill.

He kept his cool and the police showed up when someone called it in. These guys still wouldn't give up with the cops there. Even when they learned that my bud's father was a code talker in WWII. And that he himself had a silver star from Nam. And that his great granpap was scalping whites around Tucson while the rednecks kin were probably waiting in line for a boat in Europe.

Still one of his favorite stories. Kinda hard to answer when he asks "Who's the American and who's the foreigner?"

I have a friend who used to work at the USGS, part of her e-mail signature read, "Alaska, part of the Continental U.S. since 1867".

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I have a friend who used to work at the USGS, part of her e-mail signature read, "Alaska, part of the Continental U.S. since 1867".
    Thanks! I needed that, and will use it religiously.

I always Alaskans joke that folks from the lower 48 couldn't figure out why AK was supposed to be so cold since it was right next to Mexico. I was sure no one could be that stupid. After 8 years in Texas and Florida it turns out I gave people more credit than they deserved...

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    How is she wrong. The operative word
    being "U.S."

BigAl, Alaska was purchased in 1867-"Seward's Folly" and was part of the U.S., the way the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and other U.S. Possessions & Territories. Not a State, but part of the U.S. nonetheless.