Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else taking the IBEP on the 5th and 6th?

Default Anyone else taking the IBEP on the 5th and 6th?

I'm taking the IBEP on the 5th and 6th of August and I must say I'm as nervous as a woman of ill repute in church. I recently discovered I don't shoot well in front of groups of people. Although I have no problem keeping groups under 9 inches out to 40 yards at home, put 3 people watching me and my accuracy goes in the poop-er! I have never liked crowds and almost didn't graduate college because I refused to take a speech class. Please tell me they have us go through the course one at a time! Or at least that I'm not the only trad shooter/ ODD member who will be there.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I dont know man, when I took it there were several lookers at the various stations. If you dont do well with humans watching can you keep it together in the field when it counts??? Theres alot more pressure trying to make that kill shot in the field when things arnt stable than there is during the class when the target isnt looking at you. Maybe you arnt ready yet, no sin to need more practice. It is a bad thing to hunt when you know theres a good chance you will botch the shot but you take it anyway. Think about the animal your killing, you owe it the cleanest kill you can. He's giving you everything he has. The least you can do is get it over quick and clean. The whole purpose of the class is to make sure you have your act together for the field. IMHO ;-)

Default just my thoughts

Yes you will shoot in a group--primarily becase there may be as many as 50 people in the class, and there may only be 3-4 instructors, typically they try to keep the groups down to 3-4 people so that you aren't tearing up arrows, as you are required to shoot 2 arrows apiece. Unless something has been changed, the first target is a 10 yd deer--it throws a lot of people off and they miss the kill zone, if you don't like shooting in front of people then I recommend that you get 3-4 buddies watch you shoot and have them heckle you. The furtherst shot is around 30 yards and it is at a caribou that has a very generous kill zone. You will shoot at a bear target from roughly 12 yds, but off of a platform that is roughly 15ft above the target, aim low,

Good Luck

Like you Rick, I tend to be more prone to messing up when shooting with people. I believe it's because I practice alone 99.9% of the time, & when I shoot with someone around, I think it's more because I'm distracted than scared.
    But when the chips are down in the field I have no problem with "buck fever". Being in front of people can make me nervous but I've had a dflp type encounter with a brownie that we both walked away from that lasted almost a full minute at ranges from around 8-25 yds & everything felt in the groove with no nerve or control problems. There were no distractions, the world consisted of me & him.
    Maybe you can find a group of guys to shoot with the next couple of days. It's a matter of being able to ignore them completely & just be you & the target (but you know that already).
    By the way, sounds like you are shooting great! What's your setup?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The only advice I can give is this. Nobody cares how you shoot. They are as nervous as you are. The only person that can effect your shot is you. Just shoot your shot and forget everyone else. Concentrate on form and visualize your arrow hitting the spot.

I passed with my longbow when i was 14 and diddnt miss a single shot. I am 19 now.... Its very easy to pass. Dont worry about the other people and the shoot is pretty fun anyways. BTW if they still have the carabou up against the pine tree its a little further than you think haha. Its about 25 yards but it looks like its 15 at the most. Very decieving.. I still caked the shot :P Good luck!

Vance Distracted is the word I'd use as well. I don't see how buck fever and a dislike of crowds are at all related, but I haven't had buck fever since I was a kid, and have never had too track an animal more than 100 yards. In fact Jim I put in a lot more practice and take more care with shot placement than anyone else I know.

Thanks for the advice and good wishes all.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Another Option...

Another option would be to sit through the class and take the written test, then leave and come back to the next test (likely a few weeks later?) and just do the shooting. I did this and got to shoot as soon as I showed up, alone with the instructor.
    But yea don't worry about the other people. I was also pretty nervous but once you see everyone else there you;ll be fine, they are all feeling the same way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    Another option would be to sit through the class and take the written test, then leave and come back to the next test (likely a few weeks later?) and just do the shooting. I did this and got to shoot as soon as I showed up, alone with the instructor.
    But yea don't worry about the other people. I was also pretty nervous but once you see everyone else there you;ll be fine, they are all feeling the same way!!!

That is exactly why I'm not taking the on line test. At least I'll have sat through a class with the other folks in my group.
    BHA Member

Just forget that there is anybody else around and shoot like you do at home.

I just took it back in March. First off you can use a Rangefinder so all the guessing is out. Make sure that you practice shooting on one knee as well. The classroom stuff is cake. Also you won't shoot over 30 yds. 2 arrows each target, one has to be a kill shot. Good luck. Aim small miss small.

Default just my thoughts

Just pretend that everyone around you is naked Seriously, everyone else that is with you is in the same boat--they all want to qualify, and it is getting down to crunch time, as classes will end soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    Just pretend that everyone around you is naked Seriously, everyone else that is with you is in the same boat--they all want to qualify, and it is getting down to crunch time, as classes will end soon.
    Great now I'm worried there's going to be some hot chick in the class nervous and horny, really helpful!

Dad says I should pretend there sub legal moose or 3/4 curl sheep. I'm actually starting to feel a little better about the whole thing, thanks all.
    BHA Member

Hey Rick,
    This is funny I just responded to your post on trad gang today, what a bunch of computer nerds !
    I was the only one out of about 25 shooting a recurve, they split us off in bunches of 8 . I was nervous as hell but I shot out my ass and even out shot some of the teke's. If your shooting that good don't worry about it, the longest shot is about 30 yds and their 3-d's are pretty big.You should practice shooting threw the trees though , they set them up so you had to peer threw some trees.

Just remember your representing us traditional shooters. ( more pressure)

John

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default see ya there

Hey rick. i too am taking the class... this week. it will be the 2nd for me. i took the class 3 years ago in North pole and didnt shoot then because my bow was not paid for......i got my wife through it last year ( no room for me) for her to have the experiance of the class. she passed flying colors.. at the shoot they went through in small groups.. and she out shoot most of the guys. as for stage fright.....

well this helps me..

I have six kids they all talk to me WHILE i shoot and the wife is usallly puting in her few cents... so if you can shoot with the WHole family yappin at ya who cares what a few other nervious guys think????? good luck at least the rain has quit enough to practice again...

Vince

John

I'll have too go and see what you wrote! Actually I don't normally spend much time on line, more like a trad bow junk with no one too talk too. PS I smoked my friend down the road in a little friendly shoot today, just love blowing the doors of folks with wheel bows.
    BHA Member

Look forward too meeting you Vince
    BHA Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

glad to hear it rick and yeah i shoot a Wheeled bow as you put it. though i learned on my dads recurve as a kid... dont forget the muzzle loader class on saturday... might as well have a full ticket..

Vince nothing personal I just get a kick out of watching folks who depend on tech instead of practice fail when they should be way out ahead. (dang talking about my buddy here guys, I would never judge someones level of dedication based on there equipment)

Really couldn't care less what kind of bow folks shoot......man why do I always feel like no matter what, I'm going to offend someone on this site.

Vince honestly I look forward too shaking your hand, I'm sure you have a very nice bow and I bet I shoot below your score. (OK no one can complain about that........right?)
    BHA Member

Rick, sounds like you've put in the time shooting and you've got it down. I find it's not too hard to forget about the folks watching once the string hits the anchor point. Just me and and a target. Like someone else said above, everyone is nervous like you are and are more worried about their turn than in caring if you miss a shot.

I just took the shooting portion of the test a couple weeks ago and it is not a very hard shoot. (I actually think it should be harder) I blew the first shot at like 12 yds from the elevated stand...Man, I wasnt nervous until that happened!!!! I was paranoid about shooting high, and ended up shooting too low!!

One thing to keep in mind is to ask the shooting instructor what he will consider a kill shot. Whether it is in the "kill zone" on the surface of the target, or where you would actually want to hit in the field. I did hear from one guy that some instructors are looking for hits in the "small" kill zone (heart area). So not a bad idea to ask what they are going to judge by....(BTW, i think there should be a standard that they judge to, not subjective the an instructors opinion!!!)

Our instructor was really good, in that he looked at each individual shot as a real life situation given the angle of the shot and discussed what organs would have been hit. for example, one shot was a quartering away caribou and I shot further back (on purpose) to come forward thru the chest cavity. I was technically near to missing the lung zone on the surface but it was the best shot given the angle.

Good luck and hope to see you in the field someday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast