Thread: any ideas for whittier?

Default any ideas for whittier?

im gonna go run my boat in whittier tomorrow(sat.) and i have never fished there before any info would be appreciated. probrably gonna run in the main channel there or in pigot bay. hoping to hook up with something while im there. thanks!

I don't think the fish are at pigot yet, but i've heard they're in culross, probably the south end of it. I haven't been there for a few weeks, but the weekend of july 19th we landed about 5 there, so I would imagine its pretty hot now. I sold the boat and am waiting for the new one to be rigged up. Should have it tuesday, then im in whittier the following weekend Good luck.

Curloss, Main bay area, Naked Island. try these areas for silvers.

Black bass and yellow eye Perry Island Knight Island.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default just got back...

well i can tell you for a fact that the silvers are definitly out at pigot bay. there were a ton of boats out there today and it seemed like everytime i looked at another boat they had one on. i also noticed they are running deep like 90 to 240 ft deep. sometimes the screen was filled with fish and i couldnt read the numbers. we didnt bring the downriggers and a dipsy diver can only go so far. but on the bright side my brother landed a nice feeder king and the water was smooth as glass but it was very dark and drizzly. it was nice to get out of the house for the day. thanks for the replies guys!

I've read a few posts here that claim there are some Halibut in Pigot bay so I'm thinking about heading down there on the 9th to give it another try. Am I wasting my time fishing for halibut there? I'll also be trying for silvers at Pigot Point and maybe the south end of culross.

I have never ever caught a lingcod and I don't remember anyone talking about lings at Whittier. I'll give it a try but can someone give me a hint of where to start looking for them?

I won't be travelling too far out as my boat is only an 18' skiff and I'm a (prudent) wuss.

You likely won't be able to get into lings in an 18' skiff. The closest I've heard of lings in the Sound is around Knight Island. As for halibut around Pigot, it's very much a hit and miss proposition. It doesn't hurt to try, but I'd consider yourself lucky if you get one or two. Give it a shot, but definitely bring along silver gear to salvage the day if the halibut don't cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You likely won't be able to get into lings in an 18' skiff. The closest I've heard of lings in the Sound is around Knight Island. As for halibut around Pigot, it's very much a hit and miss proposition. It doesn't hurt to try, but I'd consider yourself lucky if you get one or two. Give it a shot, but definitely bring along silver gear to salvage the day if the halibut don't cooperate.
    Thanks Brian. I've had fairly decent luck with salmon in the sound so that's always my backup plan. My buddy has the coordinates for a halibut hole in Resurrection Bay but Saturday is the first day of the derby. I'm not sure I want to sit in line for 2 hours to launch though.

Default Re whittier

bring your halibut gear, We found a 90 pounder within your boats range thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    bring your halibut gear, We found a 90 pounder within your boats range thursday.
    Wow! That would be nice. I'll just wait until later this week and make a decision then. I would imagine that the weather is going to be the deciding factor .

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    I have never ever caught a lingcod and I don't remember anyone talking about lings at Whittier. I'll give it a try but can someone give me a hint of where to start looking for them?

I won't be travelling too far out as my boat is only an 18' skiff and I'm a (prudent) wuss.
    We caught a nice legal size lingcod East side of lone island this weekend, total surprise for my 8 year old son. Anchored up in small cove just West of West Twin bay on Parry and killed the rock fish using ultra light gear; we stayed there the night-great fun.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default There are butts and lings in PWS

Have to go south toward Green and Montague Island to get into them consistently. Picked up 6 butts, 2 lings, 8 yelloweyes and lost count on the black rockfish. Oh and limited out on the silvers in less than an hour. All this on Sat and Sun.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"