Thread: Teach me to trap...

Default Teach me to trap...

Is there anyone out there willing to teach me to trap?

Default good luck

not many willing to share, kind of a loner sport, this is gonne be only my second season...there should be a trapping class around sept oct, it'll be mentioned here...
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default let me elaborate...

by share i mean...the actual area they trap...information and examples are easy to get, its gonna be up to you to find somewhere to apply them...
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Check out the Alaska Trappers Association they have a basic trapping class, I think it is in the fall. They probably have info in their web site if not email them and ask. If you lived out my way I'd help you get started.

Goodluck
    Chuck

Default Thanks for reply...

Yep I'll look up the Alaska Trappers Assoc. I live in Fairbanks by the way. Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

Default Trapping

I would but, I live in Anchorage unless you ever come down here often I could teach you some very basics in a couple of hours. There should be a bunch of guys willing to help from the ATA right up there in Fairbanks though.

i live in anchorage and realized the ATA class was in Fairbanks. any basic trapping books one would suggest for the newbie? videos? i won't be making it to fairbanks. after reading a book or two, or watching some videos, i wouldn't mind taking you up on a brief hands on session Moosehead08 if you have time this fall. Thanks for any suggestions!

They used to have one in the valley you might check on that.
    Chuck

I just researched the ATA site, i missed it on the first pass. they have their fairbanks class the third weekend of october and the south central one in chugiak on the 4th weekend.

Default ATA

There are several books available on the ATA site and from what I've heard the basic trapping class they offer in Oct is well wearth the money (I'll be attending it this fall). I joined last winter and the amount of knowledge I learned talking to the guys and girls at the ATA was imense. I would reccemend joining one of the trapping assc in the area, they for the most part are more than willing to share information and if your lucky might even take you out on one of there lines this winter. As was mentioned in a comment before trappers tend to be very protective of their trap lines so it is wise to talk to some of the locals and find an open area so you dont intrude on others lines. Good luck

DJ

Join ATA. Go to the meetings and attend the trapping school.
    Subscribe to the Trapper and Predator Caller.
    Subscribe to Fur-Fish-Game magazine.
    Join www.trapperman.com. Read the Wilderness Trapping forum.
    Buy whatever books ATA sells.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!