Thread: 1 or 2 piece base, what's the difference?

Default 1 or 2 piece base, what's the difference?

Speaking about Leupold bases here. Is one better than the other in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Speaking about Leupold bases here. Is one better than the other in some way?
    Most folks don't understand the purpose of the one piece base. It's about scope position, it's about ring position. A one piece base is not always needed. Many people think a one piece base makes the action stiffer (I know, I think it's funny also).

I would not pick Leupold rings and bases, there are much better products out there.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Way back in the dark ages, two-piece wasn't felt to be as accurate or reliable. Then along came ultralight rifles and shaving off every possible ounce. I've got both and never had trouble with either. Gotta say that in real wet weather, eliminating that long bar between the ends kinda removes one more nook for trapping moisture and salt. Small diff, but the only one that would make me pick one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

I would not pick Leupold rings and bases, there are much better products out there.

EAW perhaps

Default My choice....

I like the 2 piece bases from Warne or Talley. I do not want any thing in the area I am trying to load rounds in. Having the scope there is bad enough.

Talley is all you need to know....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Talley is all you need to know....
    I have to agree, much as I hate to admit it I've got bunches of Leupold rings and mounts NIB, I wish belonged to some one else.Talley is not that much difference in price over Leupold, but there is a big difference in quality.You can find Talley online and order direct or go on line with Brownells.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have a number of rifles with both Talley and S&K's. Both are good but I much prefer the S&K's on my sheep rifles....but that preference comes with a sig increase in cost...esp. if you have to have the SS options....but it seems to me sheep huntin' stuff tends to be a bit on the spendy side anyway. To address your original inquiry: I find 2 piece bases more aesthetically pleasing and it definitely makes reloading easier...esp. in rifles with blind magazines! Two piece bases are also lighter.

Default Talley

After some other threads suggesting it, I went with the Talley rings. Talley rocks. I most recently purchased the ultralight one piece rings for a new Tikka T3 7mag. They are great, no complaints so far. About to take them on thier first hunt. I have no doubt they will hold true.

Boondocks out in Eagle river carries Talley. I had to order my last pair off Midway USA due to them no having the Low size in stock. Good stuff.

Default Leupold bases and rings

Big Al, if you have a set of Leupold bases and medium rings for a standard length push feed Winchester and, because they are so terrible, would sell them cheap just to get rid of them, I'll buy a set from you. I guess I'm just too dumb to know that the Leupold bases/rings I've been using for lo these many years without any problems aren't any good. I've used them on rifles from .222 to .416 Rigby. Oh, well....