Thread: What can you take on the plane?

Default What can you take on the plane?

Going to Alaska from Arizona in late August to hunt. I am shipping everything I can replace. I plan to wear my boots and take most of my optics on the plane. Are there any issues with optics by plane? I don't want to check anything. Ideas?

Optics are no issue, but I usually carry my binos in my carry on bag. Both my binos and spotter have traveled in my suitcases many times with no issues.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesheep View Post
    Going to Alaska from Arizona in late August to hunt. I am shipping everything I can replace. I plan to wear my boots and take most of my optics on the plane. Are there any issues with optics by plane? I don't want to check anything. Ideas?

One checked bag less than 50 pounds is free. One carry on and one personal item in the cabin. Don't check any thing that can break or any meds that you may need, carry them on.

No tools, booze, blades or pointed objects in carry on baggage. Be nice and poke your head in the cock pit during boarding if your flying Phoenix to Anchorage on USAir, formerly America West. I do that trip every week, usually Sunday or Monday.

I flew on Frontier last year and am doing so again this year. I was able to carry on my spotting scope,range finder and bio's with no problems. The will go through your bag.

When traveling (e.g. flying overseas) I always carry my heavy and expensive items in my carry on - spotter, binocs, range finder, sat phone, camera, cell - any other hi tech widgets and gadgets which are usu. high dollar items (and highly pilferable from checked luggage). When traveling overseas I usually put my carry on either between my legs, under the seat in front of me or in the overhead bin ACROSS from where I sit so that I can have "eyes on" during the flight and esp when disembarking. Good luck on your hunt.

I'm flying in late August from Arizona to Alaska for a hunt also!!! Where are you headed?

I shipped some stuff too, it was a 17 lb box to Wrangell and it was $107 USD !!!

Cool As much as possible

I usually bring on the plane one roll-on suitcase and load it with binos, spotting scope, rangefinder, gps. I load the bag up with as much as possible. Many of the airlines recently reduced check bags for coach class from 2 to 1 bag and are now charging a fee for the second bag. For hunters that means we will be paying the fee. If you are fortunate to carry an elite status with the airlines they won't charge extra for the second bag and allow the bag weight to go from 50 to 70lbs. You have to get a bit creative these days. I tell guys of the story last fall when I was coming thru the Toronto airport. I ran out of checked bag space and weight and loaded caribou meat into gallon bags and brought them on the plane in my roll-on suitcase. The bag held 90 lbs of caribou meat! I almost had it confiscated at the security check point but was able to talk my way thru it!!

Default AZ to AK

KRS: I am leaving early on 8/28 flying to Anchorage and then taking the train to Denali station. My guide service operates out of Healy (Castle Rock Outfitter) and we will be hunting in the Wood River area over Cody pass unit 20A. Where are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesheep View Post
    KRS: I am leaving early on 8/28 flying to Anchorage and then taking the train to Denali station. My guide service operates out of Healy (Castle Rock Outfitter) and we will be hunting in the Wood River area over Cody pass unit 20A. Where are you going?
    Flying out of Phoenix on 8/30; into Seattle; then into the SE for black bear.

Hopefully we both have some success stories and pictures in less than a month!

Flying out of Baltimore on Aug 27th to Fairbanks to hunt w/ my guide service ( Wilderness Enterprises, Joe Letarte). Cannot wait to see a double broomer.... this will be my first. I think we are hunting in 20a.

good luck to everyone.

Default Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by txhornhunter View Post
    I usually bring on the plane one roll-on suitcase and load it with binos, spotting scope, rangefinder, gps. I load the bag up with as much as possible. Many of the airlines recently reduced check bags for coach class from 2 to 1 bag and are now charging a fee for the second bag. For hunters that means we will be paying the fee. If you are fortunate to carry an elite status with the airlines they won't charge extra for the second bag and allow the bag weight to go from 50 to 70lbs. You have to get a bit creative these days. I tell guys of the story last fall when I was coming thru the Toronto airport. I ran out of checked bag space and weight and loaded caribou meat into gallon bags and brought them on the plane in my roll-on suitcase. The bag held 90 lbs of caribou meat! I almost had it confiscated at the security check point but was able to talk my way thru it!!
    I would not recommend bringing a 90# carry-on bag on board a commercial aircraft! That's a LOT of weight, and WAY OVER the baggage allowance. I know people try all kinds of stuff, but how would you feel if there was severe turbulence, the bin popped open and a bag landed on your head? It has happened, and I would think a 90# bag of meat would break your neck! Not a good idea!

Unfortunately we're going to see more of this kind of thing, with airlines going to the ala carte system in order to pull their finances back into survival mode. There is some leeway, but be sure you read your airline's Contract of Carriage to make sure you're well within allowable limits.

I second the suggestions to hauling optics and electronics in my carry-on bag though. Your binocular, spotting scope, GPS, camera, etc. are fine to take on board.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

After reading this post and checking out the web site, I thought a person was only allowed to carry a maximum of two rifles or guns in a case. Now I do not see reference to that, perhaps someone smarter than me knows the regulations: http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...latedItems.asp

There are several cases that can accomodate 3 long guns and on a upcoming trip (within Alaska) I would like to maximize our luggage by placing 3 guns in one case, anyone know the details?

Thanks