Thread: 3 or 4 wt?

Default 3 or 4 wt?

I am getting ready to build my first rod, and I have decided on a Sage TXL. I am looking at the 7'10". This rod will be used mainly for fishing out of my float tube on the back of Elmendorf. This is my fourth summer fishing back there, and the biggest fish I have caught there was around 18", with most being 8-14". So here is my question, would you recommend a 3 or 4wt rod for this? I have a 5wt that I use now, but those 8" fish don't give much fight on a 9ft 5wt. I have been to a local shop and cast both the 3 and 4 wts, and they both feel great, but I need to narrow it down to one. Thanks for the help.

Jake

If you already have a 5 wt. I'd go with the 3. If you can, go with the longest rod you can find. If you really want the shorter rod and you're going to be catching tiny little fish, you might as well get a 1 or 2 wt.

I'd second that recommendation.

Default Length = lift

7' 10" is a good bit shorter than 9'.

Like aknater said, longer is better. Fishing from a float tube, you might find lifting line off the water takes noticably more effort with a shorter rod. I don't use a float tube, but I know some guys like a longer rod, 9'6" or even 10' for that reason. Have fun.

what lakes are you planning on hitting? I have been fishing on Otter and Fish lakes and haven't caught much. got two 6" 'bows in fish lake on spinners, not any luck with the fly.

Default thanks

Thanks you all for the input. I had not considered the length vs casting from the tube. I guess the search is back on, but I am pretty sure I am going with a 3wt.

AK Twin Turbo, I mostly fish on Hilberg, but every once in a while go to green lake. I have the best luck around from about 6 pm till dark, fishing mostly caddis, but a few nymphs here and there.

Thanks again for the input.

Jake

Any previous luck on Hillberg? went there last year a couple times and only caught 5"ers with worms....if ya want someone to fish with (newbie fly fisher<<<) I'm planning on getting a cheapo float tube myself for the lakes on base. send me a message if you're interested!

Default Hilberg

My wife and I usually fish Hilberg once or twice a week. Usually for 2 or 3 hours, and it is not uncommon to catch 10-15 fish an hour. If you get away from the shore where everyone parks, you will find a little bigger fish. The beaver dam that is almost strait across from the little boat launch is usually where I have the best luck.

Jake

From float tubes, longer is better. I like the 9.5' or 10' rods while fishing from tubes. For those stocker's and local lake fishing in general, your idea of a 3 wt is perfect. You will have fun with the usual smaller fish, but still have enough for a good time with the occational lunker that do exist out in all of the local lakes.

Default 3wt length

Does anyone know of any brand that offers a 9.5 or 10' 3wt blank? The longest rod blank that I have seen is the Sage Z-axis, and it is 9' in the four piece. I am going to see if any shops in town have that rod to cast before I spend that much on a blank, so the search continues. thanks for the input.

Jake

While I was guiding I used G.Loomis GL3 9.5' rods in 5 wt.. I think GLoomis still makes them...

Jake, I can't recall ever seeing a 3 wt. over 9'. I want to say that Loomis makes a 9.5 4wt., but I really can't say for sure. I don't do a whole lot of looking anymore as to not disappoint myself when the wife says "no".

I have actually tried that exact 7'10" TXL rod..and like it as it is made in that length. I'm not sure what it would be like at 9 or 9.5. possibly very noodly, catch more wind, may not roll cast as well. Tho it would be nice to have more length in a float tube, I'm not sure the very lightest rods work any better longer than shorter, as the flies are small and don't seem to drop that low on the back cast. As I said, I've only tried this stuff out. Someone else may know the reasons better, but there don't seem to be many light rods even in 9 ft. Most are shorter.

Default Try World Wide Angler

World Wide Angler (WWA) I think carries Scott fly rods.
    Scott makes the 10ft, 4wt E2 model.
    Their longest 3 wt is 8ft maybe 9.

Call WWA and I bet they can help - just tell 'em what you're lookin for.
    Info: 2375 E 63rd Ave #2. Anchorage, Alaska 99507 (907) 561-0662 (907) 561-1475

Default thanks

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have been to World Wide a couple times to talk to him about a 3wt for float tubes. He recommended the Sage VT2 in a 8'6" 3wt, but I did not have time to cast it that day. I have found a few companies that make them in the 8'6", so I am going to cast all that I can before I decide which blank to order. Thanks again for the input.

Jake

For dry flies I have used both a lot but I would say I prefer the 3 wt. for presentation sake.

If you already have a 5 it will give you a better span on your rods. I like to separate my rods by one wt. until I have them all then I start filling in the spaces unless I have a specific purpose in mind for a rod so:

I have a 3, 5, 8, and I will be getting an 11 or 12 and then I have a 6 I'm looking at for bead fishing the upper kenai, very specific on that one.

The benefit is that I have a rod for any fish if I spread it out. If you get a bunch of rods with in a wt of each other it can be limiting when conditions or locations change.

Also, don't just jump at the highest end rod blank there is, I have a cabela's stowaway blank I built up and it is one of the better casting light rods I have thrown. I think the blank was 35$ and the rod from cabelas is only 100$. Also, in my experience a longer blank not only gives better play and distance casting it also puts your line higher off the water to prevent slapping the water on the back cast, an issue as I recall from my float tube days.
    River Runnin