Thread: Bull magnet?

Default Bull magnet?

Hi All, considering getting a Bull Magnet mainly for raking because I keep wearing out scapulas. Any of you like/dislike them, reasons-examples please. Does anyone know of something better? Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks,

KK

Thumbs up I liked it!

I am not an expert, but the first time I used it I called in a nice 57" bull. I was happy with the sounds it produced and it seemed very durable. The only negative I saw was that I couldn't find a good secure easy way to carry it. I ran a strap through it and attached it to my pack which worked well, but I had to undo the strap each time I stopped to call. Overall it was just a minor inconvenience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Love' em

I recommend the guide model which is slightly smaller in size. (20% smaller)

I use a 3-4 foot piece of 550 cord. Just run it through and tie it together. You can wear it around your neck, sling it around your shoulders or string it around your pack. Just let the cord hang while you use it... No fuss...

The reason I love them is the same things they quote on their web site...
    http://www.alaskaremote.com/bull_magnet.htm

Amplifies a great nasal sound.
    If you hold it to your ear (small side) it amplifies the slightest of sounds.
    It has a great color to flash in sun as you scrape, thrash and BONK!!!

I have called in 7 moose with mine in three seasons. All were called to within bow range. 6 of the 7 were not legal. The 7th died at 35 yards, but my buddy did it with a .300 Wthby. In my experience they work. I use mine for raking, bull grunts and various cow calls. I know plenty of guys that do just as well using the mouths, hands and a scapula for raking.

I made my own with a fiberglass boat repair kit and a highway cone. Sprayed the cone with Pam for a release agent and laid the fiberglass on the cone. Works like a charm and has the same characteristic as the bull magnet for about $20.

Kid,

The magnet works well, as advertised. But its not a "must have". I've called bulls with it, and also by simply cupping my hands and pinching my nose as suggested by other posts. It's a great scraper tho, and if you get one, be leery though of blasting your call, I spooked a bull who was about a mile off by going really loud like in the videos. My fault, totally. I would advise that if you can see them, from whatever distance, they will hear your call. I've also stopped bulls using the magnet and had them turn my direction from extremely long distances. While I've taken moose using either method the magnet is a real effective scraper, lasts longer than scapulas, but I place a hand on the end doing the scraping, makes it less "tinny" sounding.

Check out AK Remote Guides website, he has pretty good advice there that I've found to be accurate and worth reading. Good of him to put it there.

Thumbs up Ringing?

The only flaw I have found is I have to hold the large opening end while scraping or I get a ringing sound (maybe just my particular call) but other than that works good when I remember to bring it.

Does anybody sell the bull magnet in Fairbanks? I will have to order one soon if nobody does. Thanks.

Default Sportsmans Warehouse & Wal-Mart have them

I live and breathe with my magnet(s)

I have a couple guide models and the big models. I personally don't care for the guide model as much as I don't find them to be as durable. I beat the living tar out of mine scraping and brush thrashing.

You can also use them for the pee trick which is deadly to a bull coming to a call in rut.

I have called at least 17 bulls to the kill with mine and numerous others that we let walk. I wouldn't go out without it. I have an Osprey pack I bought from Marc Taylor at Wiggys Alaska and it has a place in the center on the back with netting you can cinch down. This is how I carry it on a long hike but I constantly use it for hearing aid purposes when walking. They magnify greatly.

I don't personally like scapulas even though they work they seem to be harder for me to use. I wear a pair of light gloves when scraping so I can hold both ends and not trash my hands on the tree. The same goes for brush thrashing or beating. Also when you hold both ends it is alot easier to "thunk" a tree and not get the tin sound.

I have tried the cord to carry them but it gets in the way when thrashing brush.

Birch bark isn't durable enough to take the beating but is a good megaphone and the oil jug on a stick just doesn't sound good to me even though it does work.

I prefer the thicker magnets. If your at the store looking to buy and you go through each one you will notice they come in different thicknesses.

I was lucky enough to live in Wasilla and went to Waynes shop to hand pick the few I have. I do have 5 which you all will think I am a nut but they do sound different and I have one that is my favorite but I also take a back up on remote trips as I have shredded them before scraping.

I like playing around with the different ones for sound and what I am looking for. In wide open spaces I use the thinner ones as the sound carries farther than the thicker ones.

Just my opinion and I am sure some will think I am a fruit if you didn't already But it has worked for me so far.

Default Add to its value...

One other comment on the bull magnets...

If you have kids, ever think you'll have kids, nephews or any other kid that you might encourage to be involved in outdoor stuff... Do the kid a favor - start engraving or scratching with a knife the date and successful "call ins" you performed... Put an X next to the kills you made.

It will take an ordinary piece of hunting equiptment and make an heir loom...

It's like a moose hunting stanley cup... They will think it's real cool and someday they can add their own marks...

Just a fun idea to consider... Winmag

If youíre looking for the most natural antler sound, you need to use a scapular or a moose antler. Depending on the moose, time of year and the attitudes of the bull almost anything will work as long as it sounds natural. I called in a bull into 10 feet using a twig once; I also know that a rifle butt, or boat paddle, anything can work as long as it sounds natural knowing what you are doing or not.

I donít know how many moose I have called in before I realized what I was doing wrong.
    I know that does not make sense, how do you call in several moose doing it wrong. Let me put it another way, learning how to really use your antler sounding device and you will call in more moose and larger moose. If youíre hunting season end on the 15th of September I suggest you learn how to call not just go out and start calling.