Thread: Verizon Wireless

Default Verizon Wireless

Was considering getting a SAT phone for my sheep hunt in the Talkeetna range, but I looked on Verizon's website and it shows coverage over most of that part of the state. Anyone with any insight on what the coverage is in that area?

It also shows decent coverage near prudhoe bay. Does that coverage extend down to where the slope meets the brooks range?

Thanks all.

My cell plan is through Verizon but I live in Anchorage. I just haven't switched plans since I moved up here three years ago. Although I haven't been or used my phone in the Talkeetna range I would be very surprised if it did. Cell phones are line of sight so if you're not in line of sight to a cell tower it's not going to work. Verizon phones roam on the ACS network up here. I'm not sure of exactly where you're going to be but, it may be worth a call to ACS and see for sure if it will work. If it were me I would rent a the SAT Phone.

Default Verizon

We have one too. they don't have their own system up here & I believe they use the ACS wireless system. really doubt you'l have coverage back in the hills.
    Gary

I have a verizon and it works up at prudhoe bay couldnt tell you about the Talkeetna range I don't think it would work. I like to have a sure backup plan like a spot never know you might get lucky I did once!

CELL PHONES ARE LINE OF SIGHT!!!! I can't stress this enough!! If you can see the sky you will likely be able to get a call out on an Irridium SATELITE phone but you WILL NOT HAVE CELL SERVICE in the mountains! The only exception to this is if you have a line of sight from your hunting area to one of the towers that serves the road corridores. There are towers along the Parks and the Glen that is it for that area.

I have AT&T and there is coverage at prudhoe until you get a couple miles outta the main camp and then poof....notta. As others have said, coverage up in the mountains would be iffy at best. I'd get a sat phone rental. I called around and the going price is about 75 a week and a buck 75 a minute. I got one on reserve for my hunt.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well the choice was simple for me... last year my buddie and i were weathered in for an extra day. by the time we got out to cell range the wives were on the way to the troopers to report us late.... and then when i got home... i was told to have a Sat phone or not go hunting....i paid for one the next day..

you can rent them also.. mine cost 1700 to out fit.
    also
    iridum uses POLAR satalites

Global star uses Equator satalites and does not work as well up here,

my buddie has one nad he gets a few minutes and hour he can get a callout.. my Iridum has worked in every hole and snow storm i have been in..

Default Iridium

I bought an Iridium for my Alaska hunts, and it's never failed me in AK. Here in Georgia, where I live, I can find some thick areas in the North Georgia Mountains that Iridium service is spotty.
    Go figure,
    Don

Default Rental

my sheep hunting partner rents them here in Anchorage. Well worth its weight in gold. DON NOT PUT YOUR PERSONAL SAFTEY AND THE SAFTEY OF YOUR PARTNER IN THE HANDS OF A CELL PHONE, not in the Alaskan back country.

Renting is a fine option.
    Just go to your local phone company...MTA in the valley.
    For a couple hundred you can rent for 10 days.
    They are line of sight.
    They should work most places.
    There is a chart at the company's you rent from that show coverage areas.

Default Verizon coverage

I have a Verizon phone here in Alaska. I work in Prudhoe and after work fishing trips south to the Sag produce dropped coverage about 10 miles south of Deadhorse. Great coverage in Prudhoe though.
    I don't know about the Talkeetna range but Verizon coverage in Alaska is suprising... A quick story:
    I was up the Yetna river in a buddies brand new Sport Jon and broke down. He had just bought a Sat phone but didn't activate it before we left and it didn't work. My buddies tried both ACS and GCI cell phones and didn't ahve any reception. Last ditch effort was to try my Verizon phone and had perfect coverage!! (Called Phantom in Fairbanks and they gold streaked the exhaust part we needed to us on the river!)
    Everyone else's advice about Sat phones is correct though... rent or buy. It's worth it when you need it! Just make sure you activate it before you leave!