Thread: Cold Foot Bear Report

Default Cold Foot Bear Report

There are a lot of bears eating berries around the road just north of Cold foot. Grizzlies and Blackies. Grizzly season was not open on my way to the north slope so I had to pass a 30 yard broad side shot at a nice bear on my way up. On my way back yesterday I was able to put 2 stalks on 2 different blackies in the span of about 25 minutes. I was pretty ripe from a week with no shower so both of them winded me at about 60 yards!!! 10 yards to far for my archery confidence level. Just wanted to get the word out that if someone had a few days of free time and could make it up above Cold foot they could have a really good chance at a blackie or a grizzly. For all that do not know you are not allowed to rifle hunt within 5 miles of the road up there.

Smile I'll be their in Sept

Thanks for the report. Will you be going back? Drew a dm920 permit and was wondering if you saw any moose in that area? I would also like to get a bear and was wondering if the berries will still be plentiful? I will be spending 3 weeks their. I'm getting really stoked. akpappy

i dont think there are any open hunts other than drawings on the grizz on the haul road. I could be wrong though. I do know that tehre is a load of blackies there though. Thanks for the info

You can hunt them south of the pass without a permit.

Ill be there next saturday, maybe thell wait for me.

Ah cool okay thanks for the info! I have watched several browns walk infront of me while at coldfoot or fishing the streams there.

I am planning on being in Coldfoot around the 15th of Aug., looking for blackies, can someone give a good starting point?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

just north of the koyukuck before rosie creek about 15 miles south of cold foot is where i always seen Blackies, when i was running graders up there. on up through cold foot about 10 more miles once in awhile and never after gold creek... jim creek area is another real good spot also. watch out for the grizz. those guys up that way always looked at me like i was dinner to be.

Saturday night the 9th I saw a black bear about half an hour south of Coldfoot, while heading up to caribou hunt. Coming back on Tuesday I saw two grizzlies in different spots along the Dietrich.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Default 04' Grizz

In Sept 04' I spotted a nice Grizz a couple hundred yards off the road just north of Coldfoot... he was eating roots or something, I made an awsome stalk to 29 yards and got him. I dont think I ever saw a Blackie north of the yukon river..Good to know they are up their as they are fun to hunt with a bow too

I can not wait to go up there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK