Thread: NEW to Hunting

Default NEW to Hunting

I am interested about hunting would like to learn all I can. I am currently in somewhere dessert and when I get back to fairbanks soon I would like to go hunting. I have some hunting supplies but proobly needs more. I can help pay for gas/food. All I care about is learning the how to's on gutting, quartering, butchering a animal, and having a good honest clean time in the woods.

Sounds like you have the right attitude, ezyrider. Let us know when you get back from the desert and I'd bet that someone from the Fairbanks area would be willing to help you out. Learning good meat care and survival skills will go a long way towards making your future hunts a success. In the meantime, do a lot of reading here and don't hesitate to pepper us with your questions.

Default my two suggestions

There are other great options but two I've recommended before:

Larry Bartlett of Pristine Venture's offers Wilderness taxidermy dvd...

and Tony Russ' book The Manual for Successful Hunters...

They are both available through this site's bookstore.
    Last edited by WinMag; 08-01-2008 at 22:19. Reason: grammar

I am not sure if the AODD store ships to APO, so hopefully Brian or David can comment on that. If not then as you probably know Amazon does and things usually arive in a reasonable amount of time especially books. Just remember not to order chocolate and have them combine the shippment! There is no bag that can retain molten chocolate, and it will melt somewhere between Qatar and the final destination, trust me I know. I was never stationed up here but if AK has an APO it may be cheapest to get things shipped here then go APO to APO for free. Good luck, this site and the recommended reading got me through my time in the sand box!

Default Much thanks

my thanks to those that replied to my thread and my apolgies for my bad spelling. As soon as I return to Alaska and spend some QT with my family I would extremly happy to help someone take a moose or someone help me take one . I really just want to learn. If all i do is help carry out meat or help bucher a animal, I'm good with that. Not to mention enjoy a little bullwinkle steak.

Default when

When are the dates you are talking about? Due to the recent surgey I had I might need somebody to help me out. I'm just looking for meat, you can pull the trigger, caution tho you will being doing most of the work. Had a little work done on my neck. However I can put us on a sweet spot most of the time, if interested pm me. E.S.

P.S. Hav'nt had the boat out all year due to the surgey, doc says go for it but don't lift anything,. I'm itching to go.