Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berries In Unit 13

Default Berries In Unit 13

was wondering if they will be in around end of aug ?

Default should be

in my expereince they should be ready by then. used to pick them when we would be out sitting waching for caribou back when u could put in for tier 1

Default thanks

thanks ak, i guess the creeks shoud be a back up for salmon by then. hunted near petersburg last year. 13 seems to be more productive.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Berries

Some of the best spot and stalk hunting I have had for blackies and grizzlies has been the last week in August in unit 13. My only hesitation this year is that it has been so cold/so little sun. Was up in the area that I hunt 2 weeks ago and the berries weren't even thinking about coming out...my guess is that there will be bears and berries, just not as many as usual- the rest will be down stinking of chums.

just got back from unit 13 and i'm guessing bad berry crop this year, saw some green ones, very very few and a few buds are still on the plants, this time last year i was eating them already around 2500 feet, shot one grizz and he had no fat whatsoever, which is a little odd, usually they've got some by now as the king salmon runs should begin to wind down...different year this year, but the bears aren't going anywhere.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Tok

I was up to the Tok entrance to the Wrangel Park and camped for two days. Berries were few and green. It appears to be a bad year for them.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default berry info

thanks for the berry update guys. i think the salmon streams are the backup plan i'll have to go with. they got to eat something.

i'd avoid salmon streams in late aug...if it were me. berries will be there and bears will be looking for them. the salmon streams where i hunt, the bears don't mess with the reds or silvers, just the kings, but the berries...they all look for.
    Bad crop just means bears on the move which might actually make hunting better.
    Master guide 212

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I can't believe there wouldn't berries up there this time of year. They’ve always been there for us.

A couple three years ago when the weather was very dry they were scarce, but even then, I found a big patch in some swampy ground, so my wife could pick her berries.

There's no drought this year, so don't sweat it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I can't believe there wouldn't berries up there this time of year. They’ve always been there for us.

A couple three years ago when the weather was very dry they were scarce, but even then, I found a big patch in some swampy ground, so my wife could pick her berries.

There's no drought this year, so don't sweat it.

Smitty of the North
    I hunt in the western part of the unit and I can assure you that the berries are not having a typical year. Of course there will be berries, but they are definitely behind schedule. I was up there yesterday and they are still moslty green- Usually I am getting myself sick off of them by now!!

BRWBR- The bears on our creek seem to prefer chums to anything. I have seen bears actually seek a chum out of a group of fish. I swear they must taste better than they look by that point. Seems like most of our bears (grizzlies mostly) routinely come down for a salmon breakfast and then leisurely go up top for an evening with the berries in August and early September...what a tough life!!

I just spent the last week in the western part of 13. The berries that I saw were turned to blue, but still tart. Seemed to be about average on how abundant they were though.

Was up in the Eureka area this wekend...berries are about 2 to 3 weeks behind last year.
    I started picking last year on the 15 th of august.They won't be ready untill september this year, and there were very few.
    Bad year for berries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Willy View Post
    Was up in the Eureka area this wekend...berries are about 2 to 3 weeks behind last year.
    I started picking last year on the 15 th of august.They won't be ready untill september this year, and there were very few.
    Bad year for berries.
    This is about what I saw. Aklanche, we are clearly in different areas of 'western unit 13'- We've had a place there since the late 70's and I remember very few years that the berries were as far behind as they are now.

Sockeye,

I grew up in Cantwell, and still have a cabin in that area of 13 so thats what I'm basing it on. Granted I don't have the berry cycle down to the exact weeks, but just looking at what I saw while I was up there last week vs. other years.

ya i'd say at least two weeks behind, but like say there'll be spots of them where conditions were right but it won't be like before i'm guessing.
    sockeye...CHUMS you've got chums down at your place? never knew that, seen three once up the second drainage to the east from you but never heard much else about them.
    Lotta that fish country is great for a buffett, fish for breakfast...berries the rest of the day.
    DId see a few kings in the upper east fork last week, saw 6 grizz on the river trying like mad to catch fish. one of them won't be fishing ever again...
    Master guide 212

We're a little bit south and west of cantwell. I swear our average high temp this summer has been between 49-51 degrees....we actually had sleet at 1000' on Saturday night....

Default are berries gettib ripe?

enyone been to unit 13 lately? was wondering if the berries are ever goig to get ripe.

Average temp... Look at the Talkeetna's this morning!

Hell, it was warm last night. We got down to 39deg on Wednesday

did the berries ever get ripe yet? someone said the temps dropped around the talkeetna's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast