Thread: Pacific Grand Slam

Default Pacific Grand Slam

Completed my pacific salmon grand slam yesterday. Landed a nice chum at bird creek. Took me less than two months to get it done. I have been fishing every weekend since the middle of may though.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default I never

even thought about it at all -

but I have:

3 Kings
    2 Silvers
    3 Reds
    1 Pink

So far this year -

I could have caught a stinky ole rotten chum on Wednesday - but I didn't even try.............

I have caught 4 kings 8 silvers 3 Chums 1 red and have not even seen a pink yet.

I saw the post about the Montana Creek Pink derby and was thinking are there any pinks there?

My kids would go nuts especially with the prize being a mounted Pink.

I know I can get them into a bunch of silvers by then but the derby would be fun. Plus I can get a salmon slam this year myself.HeHe.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Completed my pacific salmon grand slam yesterday. Landed a nice chum at bird creek. Took me less than two months to get it done. I have been fishing every weekend since the middle of may though.
    So, you got a Cherry Salmon too?

Congrats BTW.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Congrats that is great. Now the challenge is to get all five species in one day. That is a tough one
    Klickman

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    Congrats that is great. Now the challenge is to get all five species in one day. That is a tough one
    Klickman
    I pulled that off once, though the season was technically closed for one of them. I was fishing the Russian in early August and caught a red, silver, pink, and king in the Russian. The king was unintentionally hooked and quickly released. As I was leaving there I realized that all I needed was a chum to complete the single day slam. On the way home I drove through the tunnel to Whittier and found some chums right at the end of the bay. Done!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I pulled that off once, though the season was technically closed for one of them. I was fishing the Russian in early August and caught a red, silver, pink, and king in the Russian. The king was unintentionally hooked and quickly released. As I was leaving there I realized that all I needed was a chum to complete the single day slam. On the way home I drove through the tunnel to Whittier and found some chums right at the end of the bay. Done!
    Thats similar to how I did it. I caught a silver, pink and chum at bird creek on my way to soldotna, then caught a red and a king on the kenai. All from the bank. The king was about 15 lbs. It was pretty cool

Talking No Big Deal

I don't understand what the big deal is with catching the "Grand Slam". You guys seem to be implying it is some kind of Holy Grail or something. All 5 in one season, in one trip, in one day. No problem, I'll do you one better: I got all 5 with an hour's effort, in fact, all were cleaned, cooked and canned, and I didn't lose any tackle or need any special license to do it, and that was in New Jersey too!!

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I have not even seen a pink yet.
    Really? thats almost hard to believe (as much as your on the lil su), we have caught a bunch there. i was a red short of a grand slam in one night in the same hole, on the lil su just a few nights ago.
    ill be at the derby with my son and a buddy of his (8) maybe see you there.

congrats on your slam!

Default Bragging rights...

Not bad.

You'll really impress me when you tell me about the North American Continential Slam that includes all 5 Pacific and the single Atlantic.

I had to go all the way to Novia Scotia to achieve that one...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Not bad.

You'll really impress me when you tell me about the North American Continential Slam that includes all 5 Pacific and the single Atlantic.

Rosenberg/Florida
    Now you can just drop into BC on the way home and fish around the pens for escapees.

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    I don't understand what the big deal is with catching the "Grand Slam". You guys seem to be implying it is some kind of Holy Grail or something. All 5 in one season, in one trip, in one day. No problem, I'll do you one better: I got all 5 with an hour's effort, in fact, all were cleaned, cooked and canned, and I didn't lose any tackle or need any special license to do it, and that was in New Jersey too!!
    We often make fun of the things we do not understand.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default IGFA Royal Salmon Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Not bad.

Rosenberg/Florida
    IGFA calls it a Royal Salmon Slam. It is one of the species slams that if completed IGFA adds your name to the world record game fish book under specialty clubs.

http://www.igfa.org/DENNISMUSGRAVES.asp This guy did it form North Pole, Alaska.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

try a seward slam inside the old derby boundaries............a king, a silver, a halibut and a released lingcod.............and all by trolling......and in the same day.....and no bait