Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Pacific Grand Slam

  1. #1
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default Pacific Grand Slam

    Completed my pacific salmon grand slam yesterday. Landed a nice chum at bird creek. Took me less than two months to get it done. I have been fishing every weekend since the middle of may though.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  2. #2
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default I never

    even thought about it at all -

    but I have:

    3 Kings
    2 Silvers
    3 Reds
    1 Pink

    So far this year -

    I could have caught a stinky ole rotten chum on Wednesday - but I didn't even try.............

  3. #3
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    I have caught 4 kings 8 silvers 3 Chums 1 red and have not even seen a pink yet.

    I saw the post about the Montana Creek Pink derby and was thinking are there any pinks there?

    My kids would go nuts especially with the prize being a mounted Pink.

    I know I can get them into a bunch of silvers by then but the derby would be fun. Plus I can get a salmon slam this year myself.HeHe.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  4. #4
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Completed my pacific salmon grand slam yesterday. Landed a nice chum at bird creek. Took me less than two months to get it done. I have been fishing every weekend since the middle of may though.
    So, you got a Cherry Salmon too?

  5. #5
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Completed my pacific salmon grand slam yesterday. Landed a nice chum at bird creek. Took me less than two months to get it done. I have been fishing every weekend since the middle of may though.

    Congrats BTW.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  6. #6
    Member klickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Congrats that is great. Now the challenge is to get all five species in one day. That is a tough one
    Klickman

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    Congrats that is great. Now the challenge is to get all five species in one day. That is a tough one
    Klickman
    I pulled that off once, though the season was technically closed for one of them. I was fishing the Russian in early August and caught a red, silver, pink, and king in the Russian. The king was unintentionally hooked and quickly released. As I was leaving there I realized that all I needed was a chum to complete the single day slam. On the way home I drove through the tunnel to Whittier and found some chums right at the end of the bay. Done!

  8. #8
    Member klickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I pulled that off once, though the season was technically closed for one of them. I was fishing the Russian in early August and caught a red, silver, pink, and king in the Russian. The king was unintentionally hooked and quickly released. As I was leaving there I realized that all I needed was a chum to complete the single day slam. On the way home I drove through the tunnel to Whittier and found some chums right at the end of the bay. Done!
    Thats similar to how I did it. I caught a silver, pink and chum at bird creek on my way to soldotna, then caught a red and a king on the kenai. All from the bank. The king was about 15 lbs. It was pretty cool

  9. #9
    Member steelguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wrangell/NJ
    Posts
    216

    Talking No Big Deal

    I don't understand what the big deal is with catching the "Grand Slam". You guys seem to be implying it is some kind of Holy Grail or something. All 5 in one season, in one trip, in one day. No problem, I'll do you one better: I got all 5 with an hour's effort, in fact, all were cleaned, cooked and canned, and I didn't lose any tackle or need any special license to do it, and that was in New Jersey too!!

  10. #10
    Member preed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I have not even seen a pink yet.
    Really? thats almost hard to believe (as much as your on the lil su), we have caught a bunch there. i was a red short of a grand slam in one night in the same hole, on the lil su just a few nights ago.
    ill be at the derby with my son and a buddy of his (8) maybe see you there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Completed my pacific salmon grand slam yesterday. Landed a nice chum at bird creek. Took me less than two months to get it done. I have been fishing every weekend since the middle of may though.
    congrats on your slam!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    802

    Default Bragging rights...

    Not bad.

    You'll really impress me when you tell me about the North American Continential Slam that includes all 5 Pacific and the single Atlantic.

    I had to go all the way to Novia Scotia to achieve that one...

    Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"


  12. #12
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Not bad.

    You'll really impress me when you tell me about the North American Continential Slam that includes all 5 Pacific and the single Atlantic.

    I had to go all the way to Novia Scotia to achieve that one...

    Rosenberg/Florida
    Now you can just drop into BC on the way home and fish around the pens for escapees.

  13. #13
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    I don't understand what the big deal is with catching the "Grand Slam". You guys seem to be implying it is some kind of Holy Grail or something. All 5 in one season, in one trip, in one day. No problem, I'll do you one better: I got all 5 with an hour's effort, in fact, all were cleaned, cooked and canned, and I didn't lose any tackle or need any special license to do it, and that was in New Jersey too!!
    We often make fun of the things we do not understand.

    TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  14. #14
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default IGFA Royal Salmon Slam

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Not bad.

    You'll really impress me when you tell me about the North American Continential Slam that includes all 5 Pacific and the single Atlantic.

    I had to go all the way to Novia Scotia to achieve that one...

    Rosenberg/Florida
    IGFA calls it a Royal Salmon Slam. It is one of the species slams that if completed IGFA adds your name to the world record game fish book under specialty clubs.

    http://www.igfa.org/DENNISMUSGRAVES.asp This guy did it form North Pole, Alaska.

    TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  15. #15

    Default

    try a seward slam inside the old derby boundaries............a king, a silver, a halibut and a released lingcod.............and all by trolling......and in the same day.....and no bait

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •