Thread: boats up the Ivyshak this year

Default boats up the Ivyshak this year

Does anyone know how far the boats are getting up the Ivyshak this year? I thought the boaters were getting right around the Echooka last year.

I havent heard anyhting either and Echooka sounds about right from last year.Ive been curious tho if the slope has been getting hit as hard as we are with rain? Then I might consider taking my Phantom up

Default lots of

water now...lots

It's rained on and off for the last four days up here at Prudhoe. The water level can't be any worse then last year. I hunted 5 or so miles up the Echooka last year with no problems (Airboat). Seemed as though the jet boaters were like you said, camping right before the Echooka.

River was easy running this year. Just got back from a few days up the Ivishak and Echooka. We made it to our typical areas alot easier this year due to water levels. Had no problem making it to the mountains this year on the Ivishak and we went roughly 25 miles up the Echooka. Put over 10 hours of running on the boat in 3 days. Only saw one other camp up there on the 1st of August. Caribou weren't plentiful on the rivers, but we did see quite a few up in the mountains and hiked to get to them. Closest kills of good sized bulls were over a mile and a half from the river. We shot a couple of small bulls on the river as well. Saw a couple of grizzlies up the Echooka, and caught a few char. got pelted by rain, hail and snow on the river while running the boat. We had to go early this year but managed to catch up with some caribou.

Default What boat

you running Jerod and how much fuel did you burn?

I'm running a SeaArk Predator. We put on 250-300 miles, around 10 hours and used 62.5 gallons of gas in 2 full days and 2 half days. We brought 130 gallons of gas total, so I over-estimated some because I had been running a Predator with the 175 horse and it burned up alot more fuel than this 200 Optimax does. I was elated to see that I got around 6 GPH, especially since we only made one trip up with that amount of fuel, 4 people and all our gear, and we made it back down with more than half the fuel left, same amout of gear about, and 4 caribou. Most of the time my RPM's were around 4200, but with the heavy loads up and down river, I was around 4800. I jumped it up to 5300 once to see what speed we had coming downstream with 4 people, 1 caribou and gear and we hit 42-43mph.

I've been running the Echooka and Ivishak for 7 years now, and each year the river has been different. This was probably the easiest running year I've had up there, but I know the channels well now, so even low water years aren't much of a hassle. I still couldn't make it up to the hotsprings because the shale stretch north of the fish and game outpost was still exposed. I think I could have made it this year, but I didn't want to thrash the bottom of the new boat quite yet.

Default Anyone else

Does anyone have a grid coordinate or lat/long for the F&G outpost?

Anyone else been up the Ivyshak more recent?

Default Hot Springs..

does anyone have the location for the hotsprings on the Ivishak?? You can PM me if you want

Thanks

N69 01.939 W147 41.409

UTM in WGS-84 6W 47338 76576

The above grids are where the map says the springs exist.

I do not believe a real hot spring is there. I have looked for the hot spring where it says it exists on the map. Someone else may have found the spring, but I will look every time I am up there for the spring.