Thread: Stomp grate spring for sport jons??

Default Stomp grate spring for sport jons??

Okay, after posting on an earlier thread on this, I took the boat out again after replacing the brand new stomp grate spring I broke in one trip, I broke the new one on my most recent trip. I have replaced at least 10 stomp grate springs and break one about every trip. I actually don't even use my feet to stomp anymore. I use my hands to try to keep the motion the least violent to get it stomped. I will be stopping into Compeau's on Aug. 6th to discuss this with them. At $54 a pop, this is Fricking ridiculous! If any of you have had this type of problem or have found a heavy duty spring to replace these with I am all ears! I am willing to spend some serious money to have something that I won't have worry about. I've already dumped $500 into a bunch of crap springs. Seems to me they would have something a little better on a $30,000 boat.

Default Strange

No spring issues here on my '06 model and I stomp it hard and often. When the spring is removed, does the grate fall away from the bottom of the boat on it's own? Maybe there's something making your spring work extra hard to pull the grate back up to the hull?

Where is the spring breaking? At the ends? Middle?

Default northway

08 model no problems yet, my wife does it if it needs done so probably doesn't get pushed to hard. What does compeaus say? Good luck

Default no spring problems.

No problem with the spring on my 08'. I did have the handle installed so I can operate the grate from the drivers seat. That broke when by son was operating the boat, so not really clear how it got broke. Just replaced the $70 cable last week, and will see if it lasts now.

Default this is about the

10th set we have bought. If one lasts more than one trip, it is a miracle. Went to Compeau's last summer and they assured me they had a "better" quality spring. Put those on and broke them both on the next trip. Had to put an oar in the stomp grate handle to keep the grate up. Just pretty frustrating to spend that much money and they keep breaking. They are breaking right above the coiled spring on the top end.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    10th set we have bought. If one lasts more than one trip, it is a miracle. Went to Compeau's last summer and they assured me they had a "better" quality spring. Put those on and broke them both on the next trip. Had to put an oar in the stomp grate handle to keep the grate up. Just pretty frustrating to spend that much money and they keep breaking. They are breaking right above the coiled spring on the top end.
    If they are breaking at the same place I would look for a sharp edge of a washer cutting in or the mounting bolt tightened to much and pinching the spring. With out a picture of where they are breaking it is hard to speculate.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"