Thread: Any traplines for sale?

Default Any traplines for sale?

I know with good fur prices everyone is holding on to thier line. However, if anyone has a line for sale or knows a line for sale let me know. Thanks.

Good fur prices? Did I miss something? And in all honesty I'm not being rude but we havent seen good fur prices for many years....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Yes Huntress you must have missed someting,the prices are good.

Prices I would say are "fair" but I wouldn't say good. They havent been good for many years.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default depends on the species

Prices are GOOD!

Default Traplines 4 sale?

I am interested in a trapline for sale. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help, regardless of anyones opinion of fur prices.

Supporting Member

Default Trapline

Not sure where the original "post-er" lives, but you might try networking with the Alaska Trappers Association. Our headquarters is in Fairbanks, but we also have a strong chapter in Anchorage and our folks are usually a fount of knowledge on issues like this one. Could possibly get some good leads on places to trap. Feel free to PM me if you need some contact names and numbers for the organization.

Spike, there is also a Mat-su trappers association isn't there? just in case they are in the Valley....

I didn't realize that traplines were considered private property that could be sold.

They are and they aren't. Most of the time you are buying equipment; traps, snow machines, maps to trail systems whatever. Some have patient land with cabins that go with the line. The problem with buying a line is anyone may legally use it if it is on public land. How far some will go to defend their line is another issue.
    Chuck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I didn't realize that traplines were considered private property that could be sold.

me to Brian... fill us n guys can a trap line be bought and sold? whats the rate for average? and the process? i trapped a litte as a boy but never really got in to it, so honestly dont know.... what keeps it private all that ...

Thanks
    Vince

Default Buying lines

The way I understand it, when a person sells a line they are selling the equipment used on that line (cabins, traps, sleds, etc) and all the work they have put into the line (cutting trails, building, enhancing etc). Much like Hiline said, this does not give you ownership of the property or the area. It is public domain. I hear a good rule of thumb is selling a line for the amount it can produce in one year of harvesting fur. Also any costly equipment may be taken into the equation. However this is all info I have gathered talking to many trappers, I personally have never bought a line and always established my own. I do know there are many rules and laws concerning cabins and land, you can find these at..

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/factsht/trap_cabin.pdf

This helps a lot. While every trapline has the potential to be encroached by another trapper it will be a sad day when we regularly start seeing this. Most trappers follow a code of trapping ethics, the greedy ones usually are shown they arent appreciated or wanted. But this is a rare occasion in my experience.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so is it common for a trapper to leave his gear hang all summer? i only ask this because the line that runs through my ming claim has traps on it all year long.. mind you they are not set. but they are in place. i have never met the fellow that works that part af the country in the winter as i do my work there in the thawed summer time. and i have encouraged my eager children to leave them be as i understnad his effort to make a living out there.

I think most of us that are trapping away from the well traveled trails leave our traps out.

Default traps

Vince-

Yes it is a common practice among some trappers to leave traps hanging at or near thier set sights throughout summer. This allows more effecient line setting when "stringing steel" at the start of season. I am sure you know with mining equipment that transporting hunks of metal accross Alaska is tiresome and takes up valuable time/gas/energy. Thanks for being respectful of alaska trappers and thier gear.

Thanks Trap for the insight, it is just an area of our out doors i have not delved into. to many fires not enough irons you could say..

Default These Two

Bought this line way up north in the late 80s for $12,000. And made $10,000 the first year. the pic is of the first haul before xmas. 2 sno-gos,parts to build another, cabin, traps, snares, over 100 miles of line, a wall tent, and more. cats brought in $500.00 apiece that year. I'm sure they still have it, And I'm sure it's NOT for sale. Note the black fox with the white tipped tail on the right. And yes they killed the two moose too. With pistols at that.357 maximun and a freedom arms 454. And if I remember the wolverine went a good ways with a 330 on its neck before it died

That's a good picture. Really like that one.