Thread: Shark Charters? Valdez vs. Whittier

Default Shark Charters? Valdez vs. Whittier

Looking at booking a Salmon Shark charter for next year and am looking into either Valdez or Whittier. Obviously there are salmon sharks in seward too, but from what I hear, Whittier or Valdez have a shorter jaunt to get to the shark waters.

What kind of sucess rates to each place have? From what I see online, prices are about the same, but Whittier is obviously closer to home, but we are willing to do a little driving. Also, it looks as if most charters only fish 4 for sharks. Anyone do a 6-pack?

Lastly, when/if we do this, its probably going to be a one-time deal (unless we get hooked on it or something), so we are wanting information on taxidermy and whatnot for these critters. Looking at a 8 foot salmon shark hanging in the air gets the blood boiling for sure!!

Orion Charters out of Valdez has a very good reputation for salmon sharks.

Just make sure whoever you go with plans on taking you into Port Gravina. Gravina is a lot closer to Valdez so I'd probably go there..........

Default how much

for a shark mount? 100$ per inch that is going to get expensive quick - 5 or 6K$ ?

You don't need to go all the way to Port Gravina to get salmon sharks. I here it's a hot spot, but there is plenty of good water to fish closer to Valdez. Hitchenbrook Island also has a lot of sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    for a shark mount? 100$ per inch that is going to get expensive quick - 5 or 6K$ ?
    Not to mount the whole animal (wow the wife thought she didn't want a bear rug!), just the head/tail/jaws or whatever, just looking for ideas.

Anyone have firsthand experience with any outfit out of either location?

Jaws are $275 and tail $425 check out the tread I started the other day saying taxidermy please help. We went out with seclusions with captain dan out of valdez good guy and the boat was a six pack as far as orian's goes i don't think he's doing sharks anymore.

Check Out Alaska Offshore Pursuits In Seward....sent Some Friends There And Nate And Jim Took Good Care Of Them.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Orion CHARTERS

They Dont Do Shark Charters Anymore, Our Company Booked With Shark Tooth Charters. Captain Dave I Think. He Seems Real Knowledgeable And Pretty Good Success Rates.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Jaws are $275 and tail $425 check out the tread I started the other day saying taxidermy please help. We went out with seclusions with captain dan out of valdez good guy and the boat was a six pack as far as orian's goes i don't think he's doing sharks anymore.
    Thanks for the help. Buddy of mine said he saw a really neat shark mount where the head and tail were mounted where it looked like it was curved through the wall.

Anyone have pictures of their mounts? (Jaws, tails, heads, etc.)

So is the general consensus that Valdez is the premier place for these critters? Or can we have good success at decent sharks outta whittier?

Sent you a PM