Thread: 30-06 Howa Ammunition

Default 30-06 Howa Ammunition

Hi folks, new here so thought I'd start by asking a bit of advice please - 30-06 Howa - anyone here got one and if so, what ammunition (factory) do you find most accurate with it?

I'm using Remmington Coreloc 150grains with a Preditor8 moderator and feel it could do a bit better?

Sorry, I don't reload - would rather spend my time firing than loading - sorry.

Cheers in anticipation

Sorry to duplicate this information - I only just found the original post!

So, a quick bit of feedback regarding which ammunition works best through my 30-06 Howa Lighting. Over the last couple of weeks I've been using various different bullet weights and manufacturers and the top four are:

1st Place - 150GR Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip
    2nd Place - 150GR Winchester Super X Power Point
    3rd Place - 180GR Sako Super Hammerhead
    4th Place - 150GR Federal Power-Shok

I fired all at 25m and 100m at static targets using bench-resting and bi-pods and measured the resulting groups to arrive at the above results - I hope this helps if you have one yourself!

Cheers folks

Default accurate factory ammo

If you can find any of this stuff it is reputed to be awesomely accurate.

Not come across it before, but I'll give it a try if I find some - many thanks!

Default New Stock makes a difference!

Hi folks, just thought I'd quickly share this - I bought myself a 30-06 Howa 1500 with a Hogue stock earlier this year and had the barrel screw-cut for a moderator - anyway, while the rifle was accurate as hell, the added weight of the moderator (silencer) on the end of the barrel caused the retaining screw on the stock to work loose - not exactly ideal to be re-assembling your rifle after every few shots!

Anyway, my local gunshop came up with this - a realtree cammo stock and I think it came from Edgar Bros? Anyway, for a few extra it's made all the difference and I've not got a rifle I feel I can take prtty much anywhere!

Here's a picture:

Left = Mark Westall of Top Gun and Rod, middle = Bill Boyce, an excellent guide for Roe Buck Stalking and right is yours truely with my re-stocked Howa!