Thread: What arrow head for lower poundage bow?

Default What arrow head for lower poundage bow?

What small game head would you suggest for a lower poundage bow, say in the 20-35 pound range?

I have heard that Judo's are good, but you need a higher poundage bow for them to be effective. What would you use for a lighter bow?

Default Arrow heads

My kids use Judo tips on their bows for grouse, draw weight is 27 lbs, and 32 lbs, they work fine on grouse under 20 yards. There is a fair amount of fluttering but the advantage of the judo tips is they don't skitter away to far when there is a miss. Attaching a small piece of flagging does wonders for tracking the arrows down.

We tried the wire "clovers" but they were way to heavy, straight blunt tips work if they hit dead on but lost too many arrows as they really sail.

We tried broadheads last year for a bit, but too many nips to the fingers, and darn expensive, especially when shooting our better arrows

Default here some ideas

i've taken 125gr feild points and ground them flat........i've also used pistol bullet casing(.38-.44)...both are nice and flatthe casings are a little better i found for not penetrating the critters and the tundra....i was using a 65lb draw bow and a 54lb recurve.....plus keeping the tip smaller keeps accuracy just as important as ever...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Bilder any blunt will work well on a lighter bow for game up to rabbits. Above that whats the matter with plain old field points? Seriously that's what they were made for largish small game.......... OK and Targets.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Gamegetters

I do alot of small game hunting with my bows and find blunts to to skim and remove feathers from Grouse and Ptarmigan. Until I bought some Gamegetters they're like a cross between a field point, a blunt and a judo point. They work great for me, not good for shooting into target bags but work well for stump shooting. I buy mine from Three Rivers archery supply and Straight Flight arrow Co. here in Anch. Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips guys.

I will probably get a couple of each style of head and find the one I like the best. First I need to learn how to hit the broad side of a barn before I attempt to strike fear into the hearts of bunnies everywhere.