Thread: Alaskan Raft-A-Cat

Default Alaskan Raft-A-Cat

I was reading the most recent edition of Alaska Magazine and 6th Avenue Outfitters was advertising a raft called the Alaskan Raft-A-Cat.

It has the following description: "The Raft-A-Cat is nicknamed the 'Corvette of Rafts' because it rows like a cataraft! The sides of the raft sit in the water. The floor and both ends are raised up out of the water. 12, 14 and 16..."

Is this a gimmick raft? Just curious.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default It's a knock-off

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    I was reading the most recent edition of Alaska Magazine and 6th Avenue Outfitters was advertising a raft called the Alaskan Raft-A-Cat.

It has the following description: "The Raft-A-Cat is nicknamed the 'Corvette of Rafts' because it rows like a cataraft! The sides of the raft sit in the water. The floor and both ends are raised up out of the water. 12, 14 and 16..."

Is this a gimmick raft? Just curious.
    Hello Romo,

I have not seen it, but from the description it sounds like a blatant knock-off of Jim King's "Kenai Drifter", which has a nearly identical design. The specifications can be found HERE.

Though I don't fully understand the reasons for raising the floor, kudos to Jim for taking the risk of doing something new and innovative. It doesn't require a lot of imagination to copy someone else's work and undercut their prices, but I offer my sincerest compliments to ANYONE out there who is willing to risk their time and money coming up with something new that benefits all of us. Do a search on this site, and you'll find a lot of positive remarks about the Kenai Drifter.

On the other hand, many companies got their start by imitating other successful designs before branching out with their own stuff. Hopefully we'll see something new out of 6th Avenue Outfitters too.

A word to the wise, though. I have noticed that knock-off gear is usually made of inferior materials, does not hold up as well, and is not as well supported in the warranty area as the real deal, generally. That's probably why the company is able to sell it for a cheaper price. I recently slept in a 6th Avenue Outfitters knock-off of Barney's Sport Chalet's Bombshelter tent, and quality-wise there was no comparison. But to someone who had never seen both tents side-by-side, they would not know the difference and would make their decision based on price alone. Buyer beware!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The newer design of the Kenai Drifter has the floor only a few inches above the side tubes. But that boat is made at the same factory as Star's Bug series and 6th Ave Outfitter's boats, and they have the floor raised quite a bit more. I think the inflatable floor versions are raised 6-8", but the tub floor types are higher.

I've never rowed any of them, but others have reported that they like the design. Raising the floor reduces the room inside. Making the side tubes really large does the same. Still, there are advantages I suppose.