Thread: .458 Win Mag load info?

Default .458 Win Mag load info?

Recently got ahold of one. My first BIG rifle. M70 Classic Safari Express. Just wondering if there's anything specific to this round that anybody can share? Do's and don'ts I guess.
    I've loaded plenty of straight wall revolver rounds but never a rifle. I'm also unfamiliar with compressed or near compressed charges.
    I currently have Hornady 350 RN and 500 RN bullets along with a little data for them. H4198 (64.5-70.8) for the 350 and H4895 (70-74) for the 500. CCI 250 primers.
    I've also heard plenty along the lines of, "Make sure you can shoot it standing up before you try it sitting down!" Sounds like fun to me.

I'm running 68 grains of H4198 in my .458 with the new 350 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I'm getting between 1 1/4" and 3/4" groups with that load in my custom Mauser. I don't think you'll need anything heavier than a 350 grain controlled expansion bullet for anything in Alaska, including big bears, and the 350's aren't bad to shoot from the bench. I shoot mine from the bench with a Hogue stock all the time and the recoil isn't bad, but my 20" barrel has a bit of concussion to it that will start to give me a headache after 15 or 20 rounds.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Kay9Cop,

What kind of velocity are you getting with the 350 tsx?

I had a 458 a couple years ago and the 350 X got 2540 fps out of it with IMR4198.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thumbs up Reloader 15

Reloader 15 and 350 TSX great combination
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Recently got ahold of one. My first BIG rifle. M70 Classic Safari Express. Just wondering if there's anything specific to this round that anybody can share? Do's and don'ts I guess.
    I've loaded plenty of straight wall revolver rounds but never a rifle. I'm also unfamiliar with compressed or near compressed charges.
    I currently have Hornady 350 RN and 500 RN bullets along with a little data for them. H4198 (64.5-70.8) for the 350 and H4895 (70-74) for the 500. CCI 250 primers.
    I've also heard plenty along the lines of, "Make sure you can shoot it standing up before you try it sitting down!" Sounds like fun to me.
    My all time favorite load for the 458 for everything but big bears is a the 550 grain #462560 Lyman gas checked cast bullet in #2 alloy on top of 62 grains of IMR-3031. It lumbers along right at 1900 fps from my Ruger #1 and cuts ragged holes at 100 yards. I'm willing to bet that if it was hard cast rather than #2 it would perform about as well as any jacketed bullet on bears, but I simply haven't tried it. It's cheap to shoot lots, which is the real secret behind top performance with any heavy magnum caliber, irrespective of space age bullet designs. Have you priced 458 bullets lately? Heck, a complete casting outfit will cost you less than what you'll spend on jacketed bullets to get marginally proficient in field shooting with heavy recoil.

And rest assured, with that load you're going to know that you're uncorking a magnum every time you pull the trigger. Yet you can also slow it down to 1200fps with 20 grains of Unique for the most fun plinking load you ever launched. And that one's ragged hole accurate, too.

I haven't chrono'd those loads yet in my .458. When I did load pressure testing I was holding about 1 1/2" three shot groups and got a repeatable change in accuracy at 68 grains, so I stuck with 68 grains without chono'ing it.

For practice and deer hunting in thick woods in the lower 48, I shoot the Remington 405 grain soft points at about 1900 fps. For real fun I shoot the Remington 300 grain hollow points at 1100 fps over some Trailboss and try to take heads off of small game and grouse.

Where do you get load data for the 350 TSX? The Barnes manual starts at the 400 grain TSX.

Barnes recommends using the regular X load data and even mentions you may be able to go a grain or two higer because of reduced pressures from the TSX rings.

I need a chronograph, don't I?

Default BrownBear

Would you happen to know where a fellow could find another Lyman 462560. Been wanting to try this bullet with wheel weights in my 458. Or anyone else for that matter, I just want one of the molds.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Would you happen to know where a fellow could find another Lyman 462560. Been wanting to try this bullet with wheel weights in my 458. Or anyone else for that matter, I just want one of the molds.
    Sorry not to get back to your sooner Redale. I was checking my sources of used moulds, and couldn't find that one. I got mine used in the late 1960's, but I don't know when Lyman quit making them. The only heavy Lyman currently lists at their site is #457132. It comes in at 535 grains, but has more of a elongate round nose than the flat. I'll keep my eyes open, but I haven't seen one for sale in quite a while.

In the meantime I'd sure look at Mountain Molds in Idaho. They build moulds for much the same bullet, and you can't beat the price. I've used one mould of theirs, but don't own it. I was impressed, to say the least.

Default Thanks

If you do happen to find an original I would appreciate the info, in the mean time I'll give Mountain Mold a call and see what they can tell me. Again thanks for your time and effort.