Thread: Fore warned is fore armed

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Fore warned is fore armed

This may not be an issue for some people, but it's something that I don't like, and if there's anything I hate, it's something I don't like.

Say, you go on a charter trip for Salmon, or Halibut, at Seward. (And other places too.) They will filet your fish for you, and you are expected to give them a TIP.

Watch when they do that. If' it's a salmon, they will cut off the bellies, but they don't get thrown away with the guts, etc. they save them. "What'er you gonna do with those bellies". They will ignore you. If you insist, they say "The captain wants to smoke them. That's at least honest.

If it's a Halibut, same deal with the cheeks. "What'er you gonna do with those cheeks"? Ignore, then finally, "I'm gonna use them to chum halibut when we go fishing again tomorrow". That's not honest.

A better option is to tell them that you want to keep your fish whole, so you can clean them yourself. (Cleaning tables are provided right there at the slip.) BTW, you will have to tell them several times.

Those two stories are actual, and from this year, and last year. I've experienced similar in the more distant past.

When I fail to remember this, and let them filet my fish rather than cleaning them myself, I always feel like I got cheated.

Them bellies, and cheeks, are the good parts. If they wanna keep them, they should ask me, so I can tell them NO.

We’re not all dumb tourists, and tourists especially, shouldn’t be taken advantage of. They are paying customers, not sheep to be fleeced. It makes me ashamed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smoked salmon belly is a real treat! I plan on keeping every one of mine. Most fish the belly is not very good but smoked salmon belly is the best part of the fish! You make some good points!

There's a simple solution to this problem. Before they fillet your fish let them know that you will be keeping the cheeks, belly meat, roe, etc.

Now, I personally will donate roe because it's something the guide uses to help his customers (me) catch fish and it may help defray his cost of doing business.

Just tell them you want them Gil and Gutted!

They stole your salmon bellies? And no fight?

Is there any better reason to keep a salmon than the belly?

Brined, smoked, and canned, there is no better part of a salmon to eat. In fact, I don't think there is anything in the world that I'd rather eat than cleaned, skinned, smoked, and canned bellies. I have three more gallons thawing right now, ready to process.

Halibut cheeks, you can have them. They are a little dry and tough for my taste. But the guy said he's using the cheeks for CHUM? Whatever.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Valdez filleting

If you're on a charter in Valdez, a lot of the boat captains take their clients' fish up to the guys at the fillet table at the dock and let them fillet them. You get an honest fillet. Those guys are good, too. I don't know what they're charging this year but in the past it was $1 to fillet a salmon and $10 for a halibut. The guys doing the fillets are fast and professional, which is why the skippers like them. If you're over there, stop by the fillet station and watch how they work. When you have 25 silvers to fillet, paying a buck or two per fish is a decent deal, and I've never seen those guys set aside any cheeks or bellies for themselves.
    There's a woman in Seward who does fillets, but I don't know where she hangs out down there. She is like lightning, and I can only dream of knowing how to wield a knife that way.
    So, if you're thinking about a charter in either place, ask around at the docks to find out who's doing fillets and tell the skipper you'd like to have those people do yours. You won't get shortchanged on the meat, and it will be money well spent.

Not neccessarily true ... for all those guests not using a local processer that I fillet for, I butterfly and the belly meat is always attached. Not everyone fillets the same way

I have never had a charter in Seward or Deep Creek try and pimp by salmon belly meat or halibut cheeks. However, I guess there are a few that may help themselves without asking, which is not good for repeat business. There was another recent post about a Sitka fish processor that kept some of the fish fillets from a paying customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    There's a woman in Seward who does fillets, but I don't know where she hangs out down there. She is like lightning, and I can only dream of knowing how to wield a knife that way.
    Her name is Spook (so they call her). Been there forever and yes, she is lighning-fast and good.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Her name is Spook (so they call her). Been there forever and yes, she is lighning-fast and good.
    That sounds like the gal that sells Victoronox knives at the gun shows. They're very good knives of many different designs.

Wildog:
    I guess sometimes it's embarrassing to bring it up, but you're right, about the fight. In the past I've told them I want them whole, and that works inasmuch at it's the other peoples bellies that get stolen, and not mine.

Anglette:
    I prefer to take the gills and guts out myself, and take'em home that way.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

My LAST and there will not be another charter, was a Halibut charter out of Homer by a well known charter service.

First they took me on a charter in about 500 foot of water with a seniors group, and every time we reeled in, they asked me to assit the older fellers reel in too. No biggy until after about the 30th time.

Well any way I caught fairly nice sized butts and the deck hand marked them as mine. The rest of the seniors group caught bunch of chickens if they caught any at all. Well we get back and I figured I was in no big hurry I would wait for the old fellers to get their fish and move a long. Well they walked up and the deck hand said pick any ones ya like. Of course the old fart points out my two big butts, and the hand grabs them and throws them on the table. I kindly but bluntly tell deck hand those fish were mine and were marked as so. He said, with the Captn's backing "We try to split them up fairly" I said "I kindly forked out $$$$$ bucks for this trip, I reeled line after line for your clients at 500 feet, and I reckon I'll be taking my FISH home with me today" They actually got nasty with me about it, but I stood my ground. To boot, at the end when they were still being nasty when I grabbed my fish to walk away, he said "Dont forget to the tip"

Say I was a lil p!ssed off would be an under statement. Then and there I decided I would never go on another charter again.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Smoked salmon belly is a real treat! I plan on keeping every one of mine. Most fish the belly is not very good but smoked salmon belly is the best part of the fish! You make some good points!

Pickled is even better.
    Now what ?

It's too bad that you are quiting charters after this bad experience. We vacation each year in AK, over 18 years now, and have been on several charters - Homer - Seward - Deep Creek. Yes, we have had some bad experiences but we've also had some fabulous times. We have filtered out the undesireable charters and stick with the ones that are tried and true. I can't even imagine how boring our trips would be if we had given up on charters...

Default rip off

Every charter I have taken has been a rip off. I will only go to valdez to fish now, and rent my own boat. "Fish Central" of Valdez. They are very honest, and want repeat customers.
    Tim

I just took a charter on Lake Superior and it was unreal. the Capt was a fanatic when it came to fishing. He kept us out late looking for salmon after filling on lakers. He was a super guy and made our trip outstanding. I had my wife and another woman on the boat who does not fish much and he took teh time to help them out and also had a great sense of humor when they lost a fish due to being new at it. This guy loves what he does and it showed. I would and will go with him again!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    My LAST and there will not be another charter, was a Halibut charter out of Homer by a well known charter service.

First they took me on a charter in about 500 foot of water with a seniors group, and every time we reeled in, they asked me to assit the older fellers reel in too. No biggy until after about the 30th time.

Well any way I caught fairly nice sized butts and the deck hand marked them as mine. The rest of the seniors group caught bunch of chickens if they caught any at all. Well we get back and I figured I was in no big hurry I would wait for the old fellers to get their fish and move a long. Well they walked up and the deck hand said pick any ones ya like. Of course the old fart points out my two big butts, and the hand grabs them and throws them on the table. I kindly but bluntly tell deck hand those fish were mine and were marked as so. He said, with the Captn's backing "We try to split them up fairly" I said "I kindly forked out $$$$$ bucks for this trip, I reeled line after line for your clients at 500 feet, and I reckon I'll be taking my FISH home with me today" They actually got nasty with me about it, but I stood my ground. To boot, at the end when they were still being nasty when I grabbed my fish to walk away, he said "Dont forget to the tip"

Say I was a lil p!ssed off would be an under statement. Then and there I decided I would never go on another charter again.
    Waterwolf:

Once you get offa the boat, the Royal treatment is soon OVER.

There won't me no more days like some of the ones I've had in the past either.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

unfortunately, this is how it is that business. In any situation where there's opportunity for a fast buck, particularly from people with more money than normal and ready to spend (think tourists traps), there will be the honest businesses and those who rush in to make a fast dollar. With high traffic, they don't care who they make mad, to them, that's the beauty of tourist areas. I have a lot of asian and oriental friends who had businesses back home and that's how a lot of people run them there too. When you have 200000 new people walking past your store every day, whether it's high population or new tourists, you don't have to be kind or courteous and the business will still work out. In other words, with that many customers you will never see again, it doesn't matter much to them what you think of them or their customer service.

Default "Spook" in Seward

Spook (her real name is Jean) is a great gal. A lot of the charter guys use her to help do their catch. I have seen her save the belly part that has the lower fin attached. But she not only gives them away to the tourists but will also tell them how to cook them. If she is doing your fish she will ask you if you want the bellies. She charges $2 a fish. If you are working alongside of her she will sharpen you knifes for you if you ask her. (No charge). She sells knifes and also sells a dandy little fish scalier she gets from Hawaii.