Thread: Float Trip for Moose

Default Float Trip for Moose

I'm thinking of a float trip for moose, I have heard some good things about this method. to me the advantage is seeing alot of country, not being stuck where a taxi drops you, and having to walk forever to locate animals. Can anyone give some advice from experience? I have hunted AK several times, but this will be first quest for moose. Any rivers to consider? I'd like to get into the Koyukuk, but I doubt there is access to that for a float trip, correct me if I am misinformed. Thanks!

I'm in the process of planning a float hunt for moose as well. It'll be my first time doing both..hunting for moose and doing a float in Alaska. I can't decide whether to do a bowhunt (as I'd prefer really) or to stick with a rifle...being that it would most likely be a once in a lifetime hunt and it would increase the odds for success quite a bit. What are you planning to do?

Fr. Joe
    HuntingForGod.com

Well, I don't really have a plan as of yet. I'm considering different methods, as well as locations (AK vs. Canada). I have a buddy whom I plan to go with, and we are just trying to decide whether to "do it yourself" or hire a guide service. I'm leaning toward the DIY, did a drop-caribou hunt 11 years ago, and it was awesome! Just want to get into country that holds good moose (population and trophy potential). I am strictly bowhunting, my partner will take thunderstick as well. I'm just trying to squeeze information out of any "experienced" float-hunters, so, that being said, help a brother out, please!

Unless you draw a tag for the Koyukuk area, a non-res. can't hunt moose there. Registration permits are only given to residents and then the trophy value is destroyed. There are a lot of river systems that you can float hunt for moose as a non-res. Just log on to http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/
    You can check out the regs, contact local wildlife biologists for info on a particular area/river that your looking at, and go from there.
    Good luck

Thanks for the help, I will do that! Just in case someone wants to suggest a river, I'm open to that, too!

Welcome to the forum NMBowhunter: I was in your very position a couple of years ago. You are starting at a very good place with this forum. I have found it invaluable for a lot of usabale information, but it really can't plan your hunt for you (pick rivers, transporters, etc...). I know - I hoped it would for me (Ha, Ha). What I found most valuable was that it was a source to other resources that did help me make the decisions in planning my DIY hunt. I wanted a "once in a lifetime" hunt - taylored to my ideas of what a once in a lifetime hunt meant to me - and I should also mention that I did not want to get killed. I think I purchased every book and vidio on Moose Hunting and Float Hunting in Alaska that I could find. I mention the following only as my refrence based on my own experience - that said, my advice if you would like to focus your time and energy (I spent a year doing my research) I would suggest for river selection - Michael Strahan' book on Alaskan Rivers - I think its titled "Alaska's Wild Rivers" or something close to that. For float hunting (and some river stuff) Dennis Confer's book titled "Hunt Alaska Now" and Wayne Kubat's two videos titled "Love, Thunder & Bull (volume I & II). Wayne Kubat's videos were the single most important source of information in completing a successful hunt (and not getting killed). After you decide what exactly you want from your hunt - then the logistics are pretty straight-forward. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, RSC Hunter, I really appreciate your time and input. I am looking at 2010 for the hunt, so I'm not rushing, but I understand the importance of doing homework. I am partial to the Koyukuk since my father hunted there many years ago (24, actually, man that was a long time ago!), and his group had tremendous success. Access was their biggest problem. In my experience, as I'm sure you have found as well, the more difficult the area is to get into, the more plentiful game can be! Thus the beauty of Alaska hunting. I will obtain these resources you mentioned and do some serious studying for areas, and transporters too! By the way, I wish to not get killed in the process, so I understand where you are coming from. But while I have your attention, are there any particular locations or transport services that you would not recommend? That will help narrow things down just a touch. Thanks!

Hi NMbowhunter:

My interest and experience moose hunting has been in the eastern interior. My jumping off point has been Fairbanks. While I have avioded any really bad experiences - I have approched it from a little different perspective. I has sought out the best, rather than avoiding the worst. I have found that service providers (guide services, transporters, equipment rental places, taxidermist, etc...) fall into three catigories. A few really bad ones (you are a meal ticket), the vast magority are good (you are a valued customer) and a very few that are great (they are your guardian angel). What I look for are the great ones. Great ones are those that take a personal interest in my trip, my safety, and my best interets. In many respects you are putting your life in their hands - that is why I take this so seriously. So to answer your question - In my opinion - and my experience with this transporter - I would trust my life with Wright Air Service, their planes, pilots, owner and mechanics - they have my complete trust.

You are welcome to send me a PM and we can discuss this further, but keep in mind my experience has been in the Fairbanks area.

Good Luck!

Default bowhunting floats

RSC and NM,
    You might consider the upper Salcha River or Middle Fork of the Chena River. Both of these have a late-season bow only moose hunt. They are both open to non-residents and don't require any drawing tags. I know both of these rivers get some serious attention during the regular season, but I'm not sure about the bow season. I've considered both of them myself. I think the calling opportunities would be excellent.

I floated the Salcha during the regular season and have posted some pics here, if you're interested: http://picasaweb.google.com/dacks46e...eFloatHunt2006

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or need charter advice out of Fairbanks.

-Patrick

The Tag River, Inoko River and The Kobuk are all good rivers for moose. I would suggest a float on the Kobuk river if you would possibly want a Moose/Caribou combo. I have floated it 3 times and ran it with a flat bottom once and have been succesful every time. Brooks Range aviation was our air service and they treat you well. Quite the drive to the pick up point on the hall rd. at grayling lake but definately a hunt you will want to do before you kick the bucket. It is quite expensive probably 2000-3000 a person but worth every penny of it. Let me know if I can help with anything else.