Thread: The Secret Curse of Expert Archers

Default The Secret Curse of Expert Archers

Thought I would share this with all of you. Good article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sp...68000&emc=eta1
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

A very well written article for not being in an archery magazine. Until you have had the dreaded T.P. you cannot understand. It can be beaten, but it takes dedication.

Good thing i'm not an expert archer.......

Default TP Sucks

I haven't had it for about 9 or 10 years - but when I was shooting my best and often it struck hard.......and I did not like it one bit !

Default just my thoughts

90% of top elite archers--if that was the case then you wouldnt see the same guys week in and week out winning. I am not saying that it isn't there, but i do believe that it is over analyzed. Then again I used back tension when i compete--so I just trust my hold and squeeze my back muscles. This is a good article, just think that it is exaggerated by 80% and that it gives some people another excuse as to why they can't hit the target.

I've talked to dozens of pro archers. I haven't met one yet that didn't have target panic at some point in their career. All have said that overcoming it made them better archers. The article said that they had faced it in their careers, not that they were currently battling with it. I agree. I was a mediocre shooter until I got TP shooting fingers. I took 12 years off then started shooting with a release. TP reared it's ugly head again within months. This forced me to learn how to aim properly, use proper form and get my mind in the right direction for shooting with precision. What followed was a massive improvement in my scores. I now look at target panic as a rite of passage to higher scores for most people.

Harry is now shooting a hinge and he was one of the best command shooters I've ever seen

Default just my thoughts

Great point doug about when they are battling it. Shot a 60x tonight on five spot, amazing what you can do when you focus--btw I am shooting a Apex 7 with a B stinger 38 inch stabilizer, when i get home in a couple of days I will be adding some weight to it. This Apex is just sick, my last 30 shots -- 25 I/O. Just wonder how much I will lose while in Iraq.

Wayne