Thread: Gps (haul road)

Default Gps (haul road)

i was thinking about the rino 110 how well this one work up there have read alot of good and bad things could you all please help me out with and reccomendations it kinda life or death up there i will have a back up compass and map but to mark spots it is alot eaiser with the gps.

Thanks in advance

Never tried the 100 but the 500 I have and loved it. One thing I can recomend is bring extra batteries with you. I went through 2 sets of batteries one night. It was so cold the cold sucked the life out of the batteries
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Dont have deep pockets

The five hundred is a expensive series how much did you have to pay for maps or ar they pre loaded and how accurate are they up there, as far as weather goes i hear a dense fog can ruin you spot and not give you correct readings.

When I was in Iraq this is what I used.

Here at home I still use the Garmin 12 oldie but goodie.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 110 -vs - 120/130 -vs- 510

Quote Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
    i was thinking about the rino 110 how well this one work up there have read alot of good and bad things could you all please help me out with and reccomendations it kinda life or death up there i will have a back up compass and map but to mark spots it is alot eaiser with the gps.

Thanks in advance
    I have a 120 and a 130.

Something to keep in mind... the yellow rino (110) does not have any memory set aside to load maps. So, Garmin's mapsource will not work... therefore, you will have a VERY basic map loaded in the GPS.

The rest of the models do allow for maps to be loaded. This is a very nice feature.

If money is a concern... seriously consider the 120. Decent GPS... not the best on the market. Decent FRS radio... again not the best. Does allow the position transmitting to/from a buddy - nice feature if your buddy has a rino. Worthless if your budd(ies) do not have rinos.

For the money the 120 is probably the best deal.

The 130 doesn't have that many more features (altimeter, magnetic compass, more memory) to justify the extra expense (in my opinion).

The 500 series radios have a different GPS receiver, much more memory, and color displays. Personally I couldn't care less about the color display... but the better GPS, nice. Memory, also nice.

I'm not bashing the GPS in the 100 series... they are more than accurate enough for hunting, fishing, etc. If you're trying to find a tiny object, (looking for 1 meter accuracy, or better), these receivers might give it, might not.

I have been MORE than satisfied with both my 120 and 130's.
    They leave a little to be desired:
    GPS is prone to losing lock, and bouncing.
    Radios do not work great with other FRS radios. They will work, but, expect lot's of 'Repeat!'

Default Haven't experienced...

Quote Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
    The five hundred is a expensive series how much did you have to pay for maps or ar they pre loaded and how accurate are they up there, as far as weather goes i hear a dense fog can ruin you spot and not give you correct readings.
    I have had my rino in some nasty weather... on the haul road.

I haven't noticed significant problems due to weather. More because of an area.

The 120 & 130's work great on the haul road. Nice and flat, radios can transmit nearly the 3 miles advertised.

Stock, they come with a VERY basic map.

I highly recommend you purchase Mapsource - TopoMaps by Garmin. It's about $100, comes with topo for the entire US, you can load and unload maps into your Rino... you can download waypoints, tracks, routes, etc in the software for later use.

I have mapsets made... the Topos, waypoints, and tracks for a given area are labeled (Haul Road, Bear Hunting, Halibut Fishing, etc)... then I'll load up my 120. The 130 has much more memory, I have all my 'common' loads in, I might add or subtract one here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    It was so cold the cold sucked the life out of the batteries
    I am sure you all know, but just n case, ARMPIT warmth can save a battery.
    even if you think it is dead, put it in the pit for about 15 minutes, and it will revive, not for long, but enough time to be able to take a picture and keep your range finders in tune when you need them.