Thread: 22 Hornet and K-hornet shooters?

Default 22 Hornet and K-hornet shooters?

Just picked up a CZ527 in 22 Hornet any good tried and ture loads?

So far I have Rem brass, Federal 205 primers and speer 45gr spitzers. Was going to try lil gun first and then maybe H110. The 40gr V max was next on the list.

I did get some loaded HSM ammo in both the 37gr and 42gr Calhoon bullets and some 46gr hp winchesters as well for breakin.

Mainly a bobcat and coyote gun for say 30-150 yards. I was concidering the K-hornet convertion anyone shoot either cartridges?

Lil Gun powder has worked better than almost anything else in my guns and those of friends. Sometimes if you get a Hornet that is giving you accuracy fits, a conversion to K-Hornet simplifies things. The neck is real thin on the Hornet and there's not much shoulder, so you can get into silly games chasing an accurate powder charge, when in fact you need to be working on cases. The K-Hornet is a bunch easier for me to load for, but unless you've got accuracy problems with the original, I don't think it's worth the small ballistic gain to do a rechambering. Either round will do a good job on stub tails.

This is a very small case so handloading must be done with care. A .5 grain error can cause problems.

The biggest problem with the American made rifles for this little caliber is that the chambers are very sloppy, I think they have always been. One nice thing about this caliber is that the central Europeans have adopted it for use in combination guns and in some cases good bolt action gun. The European guns that I've seen have had much better chambers than the older American rifles. Closer dimensions mean better accuracy. It was so difficult to get one of the older rifles to shoot and as BrownBear says the brass is a problem. The K Hornet is a custom chamber and brass fits it better than any factory standard Hornet chamber. Also as he says neck sizing is the way to go and I think that is because the chambers are so sloppy. The brass is thin and necks can be crinkled (is that a word?) easily when seating bullets. Also the lack of a good shoulder isn't good for consistant shots. Even though this caliber headspaces on the rim technically, I would recommend neck sizing only and make sure the shoulder fits to the chamber snugly.

What you have is likely the very best factory produced 22 Hornet rifle ever made. You will find a real winner in the CZ rifle. Not only in the quality of the rifle but the nice tight chamber that will produce very good accuracy as well. I have kicked my butt several times for not buying, at a bargain price too, the 527 that Guns Down Under had before they went out of business. Whoever got it likely will be proud of it. I've had the opportunity to load for two of these rifles in the past few years and they can group shots into a half inch at a hundred with many different bullets. I once had an Anchutz rifle in 22 Hornet and it was a real shooter also and the easiest one to load for because the tight chamber never allowed the brass to expand to even fit the die body.

Here are a few loads with some older Winchester brass and CCI-400 primers with 40 grain Sierras and Vihta N110 powder 8.0 to 10.0 grains.

With the 45 grain Sierra and H4227 powder. 8.0 to 10.5 grains

With the 50 grain Speer and H110 powder. 7.0 to 9.0 grains. using Rem#71/2 primer.

I've always liked the Hornet I just have found it under powered for just about everything except small game and small varmints. It could be useful in a rifle for called cats and 'yotes if the shots are close.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?