Thread: Alpen or Weaver spotting scopes????

Default Alpen or Weaver spotting scopes????

Im looking at a Alpen Model 730 15-30x50 Waterproof, Rubber Armored, Multi-Coated, BAK4, Nylon Carrying Case AND a Weaver Classic Spotting Scope-20x50 but 50$ more than Alpen.

The Weaver is a straight spotter and Alpen angled.

Just wondering how the Alpen focus handles when zoomed in.......does it get blurry close to or at max zoom? Also how is the eye relief at zoomed in ranges? Does it put alot of strain on the eye? Is the Weaver worth the extra $$?

I have not been impressed with the quality of any Alpen product I have picked up so far. The bassis for your decision is I think imperitive to recieving any assistance. Are you going to be sheep hunting, digi-scoping, Whale watching, bou, moose? What price range are you looking at?

well, im going on a mule deer hunt this fall, it will be a one shot deal, then just use it for the range and scouting here and there. the $ is 95$ for that alpen, ill test it out and if it is blurry at zoomed in ranges and not comfortable to the eye, i might keep it and pick up a higher quality to use on the mule deer hunt and resell.

I frequently pander to high end gear and convince myself that I need it...... I have not hunted muleys but i have seen it on tv many times and I think that a big deer will stand out as a BIG deer regardless of the glass you use as long as it works. The difference comes in glass comes in when you are trying to count points for B&C scoring or in our case with moose and sheep to verify if it is legal before you hike a mile off trail or up a mountain to find you are stalking a sub-legal. If you are hunting in reasonable weather the Alpen will likely be fine. If it gets very wet, very cold, or very hot you may have problems with it.
    my .02

when i try it out ill post the outcome......id say in AK better optics would be needed alot more. especially sheep hunting. like you said with weather, moisture and everything else id be better to not skimp out on the optics.

I have a Weaver Classic 20 x 50. I live in Montana and its OK for hunting antelope and mule deer. Can't compare it to an Alpen, never used one.

Zooming it up much beyond 25x just makes things blurrier, not worth it. I mount it on a light weight tripod and wish for the money to buy a better spotter some day.

Then, one day, I begged everyone who was considering a birthday/Christmas present (mom, dad, wife, kids) to make it cash and I got Leica 10 x 42s. I rarely need to use a low-budget spotter anymore.

I have owned several different scopes over the years. Always upgrading when I have the money to do so and selling the old one. I bought a Alpen thinking it would be ok until I could buy something better not only was it ok I was very impressed. I have since bought a lot more expensive scope but I still have my Alpen and consider it a great buy for the price. I have used it guiding sheep hunts and never had a problem. Now I mostly use it on the shooting bench and it works great.