Thread: Has anyone had the BOSS cut off an A-Bolt?

Default Has anyone had the BOSS cut off an A-Bolt?

I have a .375 H&H A-Bolt and am considering having the barrel cut off just in front of the front sight. I think the rifle will balance better, and it will definitely be handier.

The rifle is accurate now with 300 grain Hornady RN bullets, and I am a little concerned about what affect removing the BOSS will have on accuracy. On the other hand, eliminating a variable in load development
    t appeals to me.

Has anyone had this modification done, and if so was the accuracy affected significantly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
    I have a .375 H&H A-Bolt and am considering having the barrel cut off just in front of the front sight. I think the rifle will balance better, and it will definitely be handier.

The rifle is accurate now with 300 grain Hornady RN bullets, and I am a little concerned about what affect removing the BOSS will have on accuracy. On the other hand, eliminating a variable in load development
    t appeals to me.

Has anyone had this modification done, and if so was the accuracy affected significantly?
    DON'T DO IT! Sell the rifle, get something else that you want. There are a lot of other rifles in this world, that will give you what you want, with out butchering and hurting the re-sale value of the rifle you have now.

If you can't stand the idea of selling the rifle, then get the old barrel pulled and re-barrel the rifle to what you want. Costs about 500.00 to re-barrel and will more than offset the loss of value when you butcher it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I agree with Big Al. The rifle shoots RN's accurately, it'd be a shame to ruin that.

Cuttin the Boss off of an ABolt wont hurt accuracy and they are dogs on the resale market with BOSS anyway.....

Chop chop...we do it all the time...at one time I had 20 Bosses lying around

Forum Sponsor

DITTO Wildalaska, cutting off the BOSS won't hurt value enough to matter and the rifle will be handier. Why not go for 20 inches and have an even better handling rifle!
    Steven Untiet
    Alaska Custom Firearms
    (907) 349-GUNS

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I will have to respectfully disagree with Big Al and Rigby257………….. In my opinion this kind of modifications is classified as “customized” rather than butchered. But to each his own. I prefer shorter barrels as a rule, and the 375H&H doesn’t really loose enough velocity with the heaver bullets to make me feel bad about going shorter. In fact when it finally works its way to the top of my projects list, I am going to have mine cut down even shorter to 20”. Also, in my experience barrel length has little to do with accuracy.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Any one who removes one more Boss / muzzle brake form the general rifle population is great in my book!

Wildalaska beat me to it, but I would have chopped the boss off a long time ago.

All rifles with the BOSS attached should come with a good hack saw and a new blade. I dislike those things and I don't think they have higher value than the Brownings without them and either way, for me there is no choice. Cut it off. I doubt that it would have any adverse effect on accuracy and it would be worth more to you because it would be "customized' the way you want it. The H&H with 20 to 22 inch barrels isn't a bad deal at all and the small loss of velocity wont' be noticed in the field. The BOSS is noisy and blows dust and mud from prone and just a general nuisance. It may give you the ability to tune a certain load but I've tuned hundreds of rifles to shoot a particular load very well without a boss so I don't need one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    All rifles with the BOSS attached should come with a good hack saw and a new blade.
    Murphy, you sure do have a way with subtleties. This cracked me up

With all due respect to Al, I side with the amputation crowd. I personally would consider a rifle with a BOSS less valuable than one that had one cut off to the amount of what it would cost me to get it cut down and crowned.

The guy (sales clerk) I bought my last rifle from was a Browning fan (after SAKO, Cooper, and a couple others) and he absolutley hated BOSS's. Didn't like selling them. Never heard him say anything really negative about any rifle except the ABolt BOSS's.

Yup...Chop the BOSS

Default short barrels

Not to get too far off the subject, but it does relate to short rifles...
    The last time I was in GNG, there was a Weatherby 460wm behind the counter that had been shortened to around 18". Snappy is probably the wrong word to describe the handling characteristics of this particular firearm.

Smile Me too.....

Some time ago I picked up a Mod. 70 "Classic" in .375 with the "Answer" muzzle break on it. I am having it cut off and the barrel recrowned. I am thinking about putting a J hook on the break and using it for a halibut jig. I am not very concerned about loosing accuracy. Since I have not fired it I will never know. If I get around to it I will post my shooting and fishing results!

Exclamation Boss removal.

It's far more simple than anyone has stated.

Unscrew the Boss, and install a threaded "nut" (more like a threaded sleeve) of appropriate thread pattern. If the crown on the muzzle is still good, you shouldn't need to recrown the barrel. Muzzle brake makers often provide such muzzle protecting nuts for the customers who only want to use a brake sometimes, but not all the time.

My favorite hunting rifle has a removable muzzle brake and proper muzzle "nut". I dislike brakes, but, on occasion, they are useful.

In 2002, I had a detached retina ... repaired in June and told not to shoot, although I could go back to work (construction) with caution. In August, after an eye exam and good healing, I asked if I could shoot and then hunt moose in September. Doc was leery. I said I would install my muzzle brake, which reduced the 330's recoil by 40% - 50%. With that stipulation, Doc OK'd shooting and hunting. The muzzle brake allowed me to enjoy what I wait all year to do. Several months later, I was given the OK .... I removed the brake and put it in a drawer .... haven't seen it since. Installed the muzzle nut, and resumed normal activity.

All you need is a muzzle thread protector, not a hack saw. No need to alter the rifle. Unscrewing the Boss will also render your rifle shorter by 2".

Happy Trails.

Default Browning BOSSES

I am not going to get into this debate, but I will aks this, If any of you decide to cut that "worthless" Boss system off of your browning or winchester, I would be interested in making it worth your while.
    I am looking to purchase/ or pickup a Browning or winchester BOSS type system for a 375 or a 25-06 or What ever you have available. And I would be interested in more than one. So if you have 20 laying around........
    So the real question is how "worthless" is it to you.

E-mail me.

Bill

Since the original post, I have been exclusively using the non-ventilated BOSS accessory. No extra blast, noise, etc.

I've come up with a load with 270 gr TSX bullets that does 1.25 MOA, and a load with the 300 Hornady RN that does 1.25 MOA with POI 3" below the TSX load.

I'm keeping the BOSS.

Default Are those bosses still worthless or did I call your bluff

I am still looking for any and all "Worthless" bosses either from the Browning A-bolt, BAR or Winchester 70's. I you have cut yours off because you dislike it, contact me, I am interested in it. Especially if its from a 375, 30-06 or 25-06.

Thanks.

Bill

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Any one who removes one more Boss / muzzle brake form the general rifle population is great in my book!
    Those are my sentiments too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rcodegalaxie View Post
    I am still looking for any and all "Worthless" bosses either from the Browning A-bolt, BAR or Winchester 70's. I you have cut yours off because you dislike it, contact me, I am interested in it. Especially if its from a 375, 30-06 or 25-06.

Thanks.

Bill
    You wouldn't be interested in a bridge, or two, would'ja?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Still looking to call all of your bluffs

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You wouldn't be interested in a bridge, or two, would'ja?

Smitty of the North
    Not looking for any bridges but am looking for all of the bosses that have been removed. A couple of you have teken me up on this but always looking for more. Will aso be interested in old barrels that have bosses theat have been exchanged out.

What say you?

I too hate the BOSS ! BUT, why be so finicky about it ? just wrap some electrical tape around the threads and call it good - They have a nice crown that is protected and it's been my experience that they shoot just fine sans the BOSS but with the threads covered (unless you are wanting to make one of them "rifle/pistols" that is ........