Thread: Outdrive Died

Default Outdrive Died

WELL SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE HEARD RADIO TRAFFIC INVOLVING ME (M. DRAGON) LATE SATURDAY OR SUNDAY IN PWS.
    ALMOST TO UNAKWIK (40-45 MILES OUT) OUTDRIVE MADE HORRIBLE NOISE AND GAVE IT UP. NOT THAT MANY HOURS ON THE OUTDRIVE. HAVE NOT TORN IT OFF YET TO GET IT CHECKED OUT SO I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS.
    DEAD IN WATER 2330HRS IN 1260+ FEET OF WATER. NOT WARM FUZZY FEELING. THANK GOODNESS FOR NICE EVENING & FLAT WATER.
    I WAS VERY FORTUNATE TO HAVE " NORTH WING" (NOT SURE IF THEY VISIT HERE BUT THANK YOU VERY MUCH!) COME FROM NAKED ISLAND THAT LATE AT NIGHT TO TOW ME TO NEAR BY COVE ( 3-4 MILES AWAY)FOR THE NIGHT THEN THEY GAVE UP A DAY OF FISHING TO TOW US FOR 7 HOURS, ON SUNDAY.
    I HAD DINGY AND 4 HP OUTBOARD BUT WOULD HAVE HAD MY HANDS FULL TRYING TO GET TO SAFE ANCHORAGE BEFORE IT WAS DARK.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Sorry to hear that. Glad you made it to safety. Thanks to those that helped. Good to know there are good people out there that are willing to make sacrifices for others.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Reading your post I had flashbacks of Jim My fondest memories are loosing an outdrive in PWS. Good friends, good food, and a warm fuzzy cove sure beats any day at work!
    Glad to hear you made it out safe. We seem to have some of the best people in the world when it comes to helping a sailor in need! I don't know the folks on North Wing, but I applaud their spirit!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

now Roger for me to get it fixed so i can go goat hunting in Sept and again in Oct with you. I have spare outdrive that needs to be reassembled. know any good outdrive mechanic?

though / hoped i had lost outdrive problems years ago after that string of problems with my old boat. that one had been checked last spring and was fine and did not have very many hrs....?????? maybe 30-40??????

think i'm still ahead in helping folks than being helped but i would like the gap to widen where i help more.

Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Try Odie's Marine....especially if they are Volvo's......

Glad to hear you made it back safe.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    now Roger for me to get it fixed so i can go goat hunting in Sept and again in Oct with you. I have spare outdrive that needs to be reassembled. know any good outdrive mechanic?
    Don't know any mechanic for that but I am willing to give it a try I will ask around...What do you mean when you say reassembled? Is the case open? If it is simply removing the old one and re installing the new, Jim showed me how to do that trick 4 or 5 different times! Showed me how to get lots of grease under my nails
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger,I have a second outdrive but need it checked and assembled. have not removed old one so i do not know what really is wrong with it.

Pat,

I can come down to your place in two weeks if you want the help. Let me know.
    Roger

sent you pm

I have used Andy at Noah Marine for my Volvo outdrive. He is the only mechanic I have seen work in shorts and a white T-shirt. Very clean shop, fair prices for parts (that's relative when it comes to Volvo), and honest about what he finds.

His attitude sucks; as if you wouldn't be there if you didn't mess up, but you're hiring a mechanic, not a friend.