Thread: Tipping The Captain !!

Default Tipping The Captain !!

Gentlemen:
    I will be going to Sitka mid August and would like to know what the customary daily tip is for the captain.
    The trip is a package with lodging and fishing.
    We will be fishing 3 consecutive days.
    Typical 26' to 28' boat fishing 4 people fishing salmon and halibut.
    Any input from skippers or customers who know the parameters would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,
    Tom

If you know what it would cost for a 1 day of fishing per person, 10% of that is usually my starting point for meeting my modest expectations. Friendly captain, extra effort, exceptional fish, etc, can quickly take this up to 20% or more. They would have to actually do something wrong to get below 10% such as be a jerk, refuse to burn gas, provide substandard bait, etc. I would say on average, with a captain I don't know, I tip 15% of one days fishing. The guys I like and return to get more.

I have no reason to think this is similar to what other people do, but it is where I am at.

Never been to Sitka, but in Valdez salmon charters get about $160-$190 per head per day and halibut $250-$280.

who are you fishing with- I live in Sitka and there are a lot of horrible guides here. This is a bad year for fishing but you will still catch fish. If you are looking for big halibut-forget about it. I wont post about the bad charter clients here but if you want to send me a private e-mail- I will give you some info.

dr dave:
    I have sent you a P.M.
    Thanks for any help or input.

Tom

Default How about the deck hands?

We are taking a Halibut charter out of Homer, and it is my understanding that there are deck hands--do we tip them the same as the captain or differently? Thanks for any help!

For Halibut fishing we only tip the deckhands. Last trip we took was a six pack boat and we gave each deckhand (2) a $50 bill. The captian gets $1200 for the day so that seems fine with us.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If the captain owns the boat I would most likely only tip the deck hands, with the exception of a great experience. If the captain is an employee of a charter company I would absolutely tip him.

Just remember to tip based on the percentage of the cost of the charter. Subtract the fuel surcharge and the tax and tip based off of the advertised amount. For a charter that costs $200 with a $60 fuel surcharge and a tax of $20. I would only tip $20 if I was giving 10%, $40 for 20%, etc.

I tip what i feel i should tip. I could care less about the guidelines. I just went out on a charter trip this past weekend on Lake Superior. the captain took up out early as we were already on the dock. Kept us out untill we almost had to tell him to STOP! he always wanted to try one more thing to get us a salmon to go with the lakers we limited on. He worked hard changing baits etc. He was top notch all the way and a great guy to talk to. anyway the charter price for the boat was 350.00. i gave him 100.00 for a tip. He was that good! the month before i did not tip at all. the guy was a jerk, brought us in early, and never once tried anything else to get us on fish. You dont owe anyone a tip. If they think i do then put it in the price and i will decide if i want to go with that capt. Tipping is just that, tipping for a job well done and it all depends not on how many fish were caught but how hard the captain worked and treated me.

You could always take the Mr. Pink philosophy of tipping.

Default Tips

I just returned from a trip; 4 days consecutive. Wonderful experience! PM me if you wish...

I tip the deck hand for service, and going the extra mile.

Default no tip

I tip only dinner servers. The price you pay for a charter is enough. The charter caps and hands think they all walk on water anyway, and they take the coin back to oregon or washington, I own my buss. I never get tipped. This is the only place on earth that people expect a tip for doing a job, just do the job well all the time, and if you have to depend on tips to live, thats sad!

O.K. we have heard from Mr. Pink.

One charter boat operator/owner told us his deckhands work for tips.

My boss who booked the trip said "that cant pay much". He wasnt buying it and if it is true that is their choice to pick the own wage they are willing to work for.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by autoglass View Post
    I tip only dinner servers. The price you pay for a charter is enough. The charter caps and hands think they all walk on water anyway, and they take the coin back to oregon or washington, I own my buss. I never get tipped. This is the only place on earth that people expect a tip for doing a job, just do the job well all the time, and if you have to depend on tips to live, thats sad!
    I agree that SOME of the charter boats crew do act like that. Even though we own a local fishing guide biz, sometimes we get tipped sometimes we don't. Some people don't know it is ok to tip. It's not expected. Great thank you emails are a bonus.

But, what if you went out with an outstanding crew, they busted their *****E$ for you, and cleaned your fish perfectly, and was the nicest bunch you have ever fished with, you didn't tip them.
    The the next day you went out with a different outfit, and they sat around, griping about how hung over they are, or how the day sucks, and then when you do get fish, when they clean them, they slaughter the heck out of them and you get mostly skin with some meat, and you didn't tip them either. (How a group like this would stay in biz i have no idea, but let's just imagine for a second that they are & since I know most of you have actually seen or fished with a crew like this before.)

So here is the question I would like to have answered by everyone that does not tip fishing crews.

How do you show gratitude to the ones who busted their hump for you, and how do you show dissatisfaction to those who could care less.

Anglette
    Many people bust their hump at work every day and dont get a tip. Should you not expect the captain to work hard for you?? Thats what you are paying him for!! If thats not what you should expect then why are you paying him at all???? I do not think tips are owed! I do tip and if the capt. does a great job i have no problem tipping him well. I do not OWE him a tip! I fully expect a capt to work hard for the price of the trip that i paid him! if not i am getting screwed for the price i pay him for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Anglette
    Many people bust their hump at work every day and dont get a tip. Should you not expect the captain to work hard for you?? Thats what you are paying him for!! If thats not what you should expect then why are you paying him at all???? I do not think tips are owed! I do tip and if the capt. does a great job i have no problem tipping him well. I do not OWE him a tip! I fully expect a capt to work hard for the price of the trip that i paid him! if not i am getting screwed for the price i pay him for the trip.

I agree. Charters are expensive and potentially they make some really good money if they are on the ball. A friend of mine owns a boat and clears close to 800 a day, without any tips. That is a very good salary. He does own his boat, and he is really good guy. I do not however, feel the least bit sorry for him when he complains about not getting tips. While I do think that it would be appropriate to pay a non paid deckhand some money for baiting your hook and cleaning your fish, tipping the captain is your call. Nobody ever tips me, and most of the time, I take them for FREE....I know I know.....

I just hate it when some one thinks they are doing you a favor when they provide a good trip. Isnt that what you are paying them for?? again i do tip and tip well for a job well done but i dont owe them one.

They may not deserve a tip, but it is a nice thing to do. The guy who won the Homer Halibut Derby 2 years ago (I was on the boat with him) he didn't give the captain a tip, or even so much as a thank you. Guy was a scumbag it turned out
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.