Thread: .44 spl loads in magnum cases

Default .44 spl loads in magnum cases

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience loading .44 special loads in .44 mag cases? I was thinking if I take the max load for a .44 special and load it in a mag case, using a good versatile powder like unique, I shouldn't have any problems.

Anyone done this? Any suggestions like taking the max .44 spl load and adding .5 grains or so?

Thanks

8 grains Unique, 240gr Keith Style lead cast bullets, decent crimp, large pistol primer (no mag). Nice plinkin round in my SBH.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Don't remember how it compares to 44 spcl loads but my plinker load is 9 grains Unique under a 240 grain Berry's Plated. Once I started using that I sold my 44 spcl brass.

Default Sold Yer .44 Special Brass!!!???

That's just sick and wrong! You needed a nice little .44 Special revolver to shoot 'em in!!!
    Oh, by the way, I too use Unique in 'about' the same range, 8 grains or so, with a 240 lead bullet.

Sign me up on the list that favors moderate loads of Unique under a 240 grain cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    That's just sick and wrong! You needed a nice little .44 Special revolver to shoot 'em in!!!
    Oh, by the way, I too use Unique in 'about' the same range, 8 grains or so, with a 240 lead bullet.
    I know, bad form on my part. There's definately room in my gun box for a 3" prelock Smith 24. I just need to start looking again.

Default If ya find one o' them there Model 24's...

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    I know, bad form on my part. There's definately room in my gun box for a 3" prelock Smith 24. I just need to start looking again.
    Keep me in mind if there's two of 'em!!! When the first ex-Mrs. Walton took off and left me with seven kids in Wyoming (not making that up!) all but one of my guns, including a REALLY nice Model 24 ended up going down the road to keep a roof over, grub on the table, and the lights on....that and a 4" blue Model 25 .45 Colt........
    Got my 4th child support payment out of the woman last month! Youngest has been out of the house for three years and has a child of her own now. IF I ever get the rest of the $35K+ that's owed to me,....aw,hell, I don't believe in fairy tales no more, never mind!

When I was trying to figure out the performance differences 25 or so years ago, I recall there being about 1/2 to 1 grain more powder needed in the mag case to equal the spl velocities.

I've used vastly more 9 grs Unique/ 240-250 gr bullet in my 44 mags than any other load. Noticeably flatter shooting than the spls, but far less blast and recoil than the full mags. Not too tough to make 300 yard hits with that load on the old steel plate back in Az (18"w x 36"h).

Something around 1000 fps with that load, depending on data source and guns involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    When I was trying to figure out the performance differences 25 or so years ago, I recall there being about 1/2 to 1 grain more powder needed in the mag case to equal the spl velocities.

I've used vastly more 9 grs Unique/ 240-250 gr bullet in my 44 mags than any other load. Noticeably flatter shooting than the spls, but far less blast and recoil than the full mags. Not too tough to make 300 yard hits with that load on the old steel plate back in Az (18"w x 36"h).

Something around 1000 fps with that load, depending on data source and guns involved.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Perhaps not coincidentally, my charge under a 240 is also 9 grains. No special magic there. I just have an ancient Bullseye powder measure with fixed interchangeable tumblers, and one of them drops 9 grains. Could have been 8 or 10 I guess, and I'd still be happy.

BTW- As a rule of thumb I only load full snort loads in cases 4 times, then relegate them to a long (very long) life shooting these reduced loads.

I'm still loading around 1000 44 Special cases, mostly for my wife. She HATES magnum recoil, and doesn't trust me enough to shoot the long cases even with reduced loads in them. But she'll shoot those Spec cases all day long. I'm more than willing to load special for her, cuzz she's a pretty special kinda gal. She's moved well beyond 44 in years (no talking out of school), but 44 Special is not just her upper limit on handguns. It's also her favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    I just found a 3" 624 from a shop in Montana. Not cheap but pre-locks aren't. This one made about 1986 and is a mate to my 1984 vintage 3" 24, all original littly smithie. I also have a 4" square butt of 1968 vintage with original box and all accessories. One could assume I do like the 44 special.

My new one should arrive this week. I'll have to polish the inards and get that DA pull where I want it. I am also in the market for one of those little five shooters, I think it is a model 696 made on the L frame. It is defunct now and hard to find.

I shoot these with 8.0 grains of Unique and a Leadhead 250 grain Keith or a Cast Perfomance 250 grain WFN. This is a nice load for social occasions and would work in a pinch for fur bearers.

I do believe the 44 special is one of the three best handgun calibers ever invented.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 44 splloads in 44 mag case

Yep, works and at lower cost, less blast, less recoil and groups fine. Rcipes for these loads from the Speer manual and off the Hodgden website.

If you need a plinker, a 200 gr cowboy style lead bullet works fine too.

7-10 grs of unique under a 240-250 gr cast provides 700-1000 fps and typically outstanding accuracy. Some revolvers get better accuracy with the mag brass as it alligns better in the cylinder, and you don't have to worry about the gunk in the cylinder from special cases tying up magnum cases.

Find what your guns shoots best accuracy wise. Some are steller with 7gr, others need a bit stiffer charge to accuracy in.

Default How about Red Dot?

I picked up that Ruger Alaskan today and looked into the Alliant brochure.
    While they do use Unique, I have a few pounds of Red Dot from my trap shooting days. they list a 7.7 - 8.5 gr. load for a 240gr. lead bullet with and without a gas check. I have some 240gr Hornady hollowpoints.
    I put today 5 rounds of 7.5gr Red Dot with that 240 grainer with a hefty roll crimp.
    Outside, it was a nice thump. No chrony reading yet. Will check it some more at the range next week. Boy that Ruger Alaskan is a nice pistol!
    Anyone else use Red Dot?