Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Bowhunter Assocation Offers Reward

Default Alaska Bowhunter Assocation Offers Reward

The Alaska Bowhunters Association is offering a reward regarding the Caribou incident. We are making contact right now to put this in place.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Cool Beans.
    Reminds me, I think my membership lapsed....
    Sounds like a good time to renew.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Glad to hear it Gary! It should be hunters that bring these guys down!! It is unexceptable to bury our heads and watch the anti's put another feather in their hat, while we do nothing to show that we don't except this behavior.

What happened? Been too busy fishing to pay much attention to hunting news.

Edit- Nevermind. Found it. Sounds like local kids being stupid and the parents are covering for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    What happened? Been too busy fishing to pay much attention to hunting news.

Edit- Nevermind. Found it. Sounds like local kids being stupid and the parents are covering for them.
    What are you talking about? It's fishing season. Hunting is right around the corner. I pay attention to hunting all the time
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default ????

Gary, I don't want this to come off wrong, but what is the reasoning behind the decision of ABA to offer a reward? You guys know it isn't going to result in anything, right?

If there is any way to portray to the public that, we as hunters, have a complete and utter disdain for any unethical behavior either from fellow hunters or non-hunters alike, then the ABA will do what it can.

I find what happend up north unspeakable and if there is a minute chance to ferret out who did this by dangling cash in front of someone's nose then I am all for it. As hunter's we are barely hanging on to our rights by a thread and this caused the thread to unravel just a bit further.

If and when they catch these people I hope their hunting rights are stripped for life. I know it won't happen but it would be nice. At the very least I hope they serve the same justice you and I would.

I am calling on all hunting organizations to put up a reward, with the carrot big enough someone will talk.

Paige

We hope this might convince some one to come forward with some info. Also the Alaska Bowhunters Association, in anyway condones this type of behavior. As hunters, we must stand together and not allow this type of action regardless who committed the criminal act.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Paige and Gary,

Thanks for the info. How much of a reward are you offering?

We have a standard reward of $500 that does not require board approval. I am requesting much more so I am needing board approval. I am in the midst of tracking down the board members for approval. When I know the amount I will post it.

Paige, with all due respect, word I have is that this is already being handled and a reward isn't needed. There may be other and better ways to express the hunting community's disdain for this, such as op-eds etc. Good luck with your endeavors,

Which path are you choosing Mark?

Working on an op-ed now, Paige. Trying to get more info from Troopers and make some more contacts. If you want to give me a quote on ABA's take on this, would be happy to use it in the piece. Email me at info@alaskabackcountryhunters.org

Not sure if it will run, but basic premise is to mention this is not the norm in the entire hunting community, including Native community, that we all express disdain over this, that the perpetrators should be punished, and that we should not judge a group of people based on this event.
    Best,

Thank you for the offer, however, the ABA will take it's own course of action.

Thanks again,
    Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.ABA View Post
    Thank you for the offer, however, the ABA will take it's own course of action.

Thanks again,
    Paige
    How much is the reward you are offering in southcentral alaska for the same offenses? Seeing how the total number moose killed and left to rot far exceeds the number of caribou killed in Point Hope? I guess if a bunch of people are doing it and they only shoot one or two at a time they don't deserve to have your reward over their head. If your reward doesn't cover all illegal killing of game across the state then your action stinks of racism.

It is the blatancy of the act and the complete disrespect that warrants the attention. Agreed, there are continuing issues that deserve our (the communities) attention. The ABA’s reward does more then compensate a cooperative; it purveys the word of the offensive and our resolve - to find resolve. Each individual and organization must pursue and assist by means he / it sees best. My personal feelings is that the community of Point Hope have it’s privilege to harvest caribou revoked for a period of no less the five years and “the Elders” referred to be held in contempt for withholding information pertinent to the investigation and / or apprehension.

I have been taught the native people of the land hold the animal in a higher regard, almost spiritual, in the sense of the sustainment of the people – but this communities complete disrespect of this animals, the laws of man – and the laws of the land – I find vile. I posted elsewhere that the “we will handle it” only works if there is some measure of preexisting diligence is exhibited. I am not seeing it, I am not seeing regard for the animal, regard for our shared bounty, regard for common law … anything.

I wish our shop was in a financial situation that we could also post a reward; but I am hoping that one honorable man, a true man, a father who wishes to set the example for his children to follow, a man who wishes to look at his wife in the eye without shame, a man who knows the meaning of accountability, steps up and says “yes, I was wrong” … and not live with the shame of hiding, or hiding the actions of others, for lifetime – and by this I mean - Honor.

I would like to focus on more positive and proactive issues, so I hope the Troopers can identify the guilty party(ies) and prosecute soonest and to the fullest extent. The caribou we will not get back; but maybe the lesson will last.

While I totally agree with the sentiment as expressed by the ABA (I am a member) I hope you realize that the chances are no one will ever talk and no *real* charges will be leveled. IMHO to much of our animal citations are based solely on Subjective criteria and not on Objective criteria. In the bush you can see two people do the same wrong thing and depending on the mood of the F & G person one gets a verbal warning and the next gets a criminal record. Quickly, many folks say why gamble when you can just clam up and make the man prove you were involved (and good luck with that). While I don't condone this attitude, I do comprehend how that came to this point of mind. I lived in the bush and have visited many villages and know that just like in our archery world 99% of the folks are great people, but it only takes a few bad apples to make everyone look bad. But, unlike the bowhunters that I know, when one goes bad the tendency in the bush is to rally around the bad person and clam up. They know they have rights and can not be forced to speak and there is nothing the law can do about that. The elders know the only way they can be charged is if the State can prove they personally witnessed the act. Some villages have a strong sense of right and wrong and will give out a justice that we will be hard and swift, others will have a potlatch to celebrate getting one over the man. I do not know Point Hope so I have no idea which way they will go. The only thing that surprises me on this is that this actually made the newspaper. It is sad to say I have seen this sort of thing up close and personal and watched as the authorities refused to do anything.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I commend ABA for taking this stance. Unfortunately, I think that Roger has got a pretty good take on the realities of the situation.

IMO, the difference between this case and the general rule is vast. 120+ caribou dead. That is a lot of wanton waste. I think that if a reward has the chance to bring the guilty to justice it is worth a shot. This is a case that should not go unpunished. If a village would consider stonewalling the troopers a "victory" and hold a potlatch then they have lost their cultural heritage already and there is little hope that their children will grow up to respect their surroundings and a subsistence way of life.

If an athabascan had disrespected caribou like this they could probably count on a lifetime of bad hunting luck. I can only hope these folks fall under a similar belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by PM Asman View Post
    My personal feelings is that the community of Point Hope have it’s privilege to harvest caribou revoked for a period of no less the five years and “the Elders” referred to be held in contempt for withholding information pertinent to the investigation and / or apprehension.
    Dumbest idea I've ever heard in my life. 20 moose have been killed and left to rot on the river I live on. I want everyone in anchorage to have their hunting licenses revoked for a period of 5 years. I want everyone in anchorage over the age of 60 rounded up and jailed for contempt for withholding information!
    You may as well offer a $50,000 reward, think of all the good publicity you will get and there's NO chance you will have to pay it out.

Default PM Asman...huh??

PM Asman,

If a party of four bowhunters exhibits total unethical behavior up on the Dalton, should we hold all bowhunters accountable for their actions? I'm really surprised at your personal preference to hold the entire village of Point Hope (some 700 residents) responsible for the actions of maybe 1% of its population. Sounds like anger talking more than anything, with perhaps a large dose of bias.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast