Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharks in Seward?

Default Sharks in Seward?

Has anybody caught a salmon shark in the Seward area? I was trolling there last Saturday and hooked into one about 6' long. We had the typical double hook setup with cut herring on at about 35' on the down rigger when something took it. My grandson took the pole and started reeling it in. When it got part way to the boat all he!! broke loose and under the boat it went right between the other pole and downrigger cable. I took over to get it sorted out thinking he had hooked into a good king. After working it a little I got it back close to the boat. It came to within about 15 feet of the boat right at the surface and we got a good look at it in the water. At that time we decided to stow the dipnet and get out the harpoon. The fish got a good look at us also and went off on another run. After what seemed like a couple of minutes of back and forth between me and the fish, I got him to settle down. I was holding a light tension on him while they got the harpoon ready. About that time the line went limp. He cut the line with a tooth just in front of the hooks. Oh well, it was a riot while it lasted.

Randy

Default >>>-------->

"Farewell and adeu to you fair Spanish Ladies,farewell and adeu to you ladies of Spain....."

Default Seward and sharks

I was coming back from Montague on my way back to Seward at the end of June and about 5 miles north of Cape Reserection I saw a large shark fin on top of the water probably chasing salmon ... entirely possible

Default 2000lb 13ft Shark in Seward -1970

Explain to me in great detail how to put a paper photograph onto my computer without taking a digital photo of it with my camera. (Maybe I can scan it on to my computer, I'll check with the wife she is more into this stuff then me.) I have two photos my folks took of a shark lying on a boat trailer, taken on a family trip to Seward in 1970.

Default Here's one...

Default Edible

Do you guys eat salmon sharks. It would be a shame to harpoon or kill them for no good reason.

WNYsteelheader

Default Yeah...

Taste like chicken...

Default How would someone go about catching one??

I have some some friends comming up on the 11th of Aug and we plan to be staying in seward from the 13-19th. I would love to get one of them on a shark.
    I have a stand up rod and a reel loaded with 80lb Power Pro. Im thinking running a 6' steel leader.

Any help would be aswome. I would even share the meat 50/50 for the help.

Thanks

Bill
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default If you locate one...

Troll like you were trying to catch a giant salmon...just don't leave your rod in the holder, hang on to it!!! When one takes it...wait for him to totally swallow it and when he starts swimming off at a steady speed, lock the drag, set the hook and hang on. Not a bad idea to have a second rod ready in case you get spooled. Just snap rod 2 onto reel of rod 1 and throw the rod 1 overboard and fight on the second rod. I've never had to do that but have seen some serious line peel off!!!

Default Sweet

So IM thinking I will drag the Shark pole strieght out the back with a Big Herring and flasher. Sound like a plan, Can you use a pink slamon to troll with legally??????

Yes, they have the consitency of a cross between sword fish and halibut but don't have a ton of flavor without you doctoring it up a bit. Really good deep fried or prepared like you would halibut or sword fish. I wouldn't eat a ton of it all-the-time because of the mercury content, but it's not bad..

Additionally, I didn't feel that guilty about killing one. They are all over. I have been to a place where they were jumping out of the water and finning all over the place like there were a hundred of them around the boat, maybe more.

They absolutely mow down the salmon and have a large/healthy population.. They are the fastest fish in the sea and evidently eat between 12.6 and 25.2% of the entire salmon run.. That's a whole lot of fish that aren't making it to the streams and doesn't include other fish and sea life such as otters, etc. that they have also been known to consume...

http://conservationinstitute.org/oce...lmonsharks.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WNYsteelheader View Post
    Do you guys eat salmon sharks. It would be a shame to harpoon or kill them for no good reason.

WNYsteelheader

Default Shark

I guess others have seen them around Seward. This is the first one I have ever hooked and they do take line really fast. He also made a run back towards the boat so fast I couldn't keep up reeling fast. I am going back down this weekend for more Salmon and am looking at using steel leaders to give me more a chance just in case.

Randy

You are going to need heavy tackle to land a salmon shark. The have a tendancy to roll up in the line or snap mono with their tale.

Flintlock, I don't think the Salmon sharks put much of a dent into the salmon run around Valdez.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Between Valdez and Cordova is where I saw all the activity but I have also seen them around Seward and Homer as well. There are obviously hoardes of salmon coming in around Valdez but if you read the link I provided, you will see just how much of a dent they can and do make. If the population of salmon sharks is or gets out-of-hand, it could be an issue down-the-road.

Lots of people argue in the fishing management forum about escapement issues, regulations, commercial harvest versus sport, etc. But one thing that does not seem to be discussed at length when there are "shortages" in salmon runs up certain streams for years at a time is the fact that there are a significant amount of predators out there feeding on as many salmon as they possibly can and that they do indeed make a dent in populations.

The sharks have vast traveling habits and go where the food goes. My shark was tagged and was caught in almost exactly the same area that it was tagged exactly two years previously, which suggests to me that they come back to the same areas that have been producing a decent food resource for them. When that food resource is not producing the same as before, they will move on to other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    You are going to need heavy tackle to land a salmon shark. The have a tendancy to roll up in the line or snap mono with their tale.

Flintlock, I don't think the Salmon sharks put much of a dent into the salmon run around Valdez.

Default Sahrk

Steelieguy, what has been your experience with braided line on sharks? I use braided line on the reels and only have mono for the leaders. I went by BJ's yesterday and picked up a couple of double hood setups on steel and some 90# steel leaders 36" long. I am trying to eliminate all mono line to prevent break off from the teeth and tail. I use 20-30# braided to trool for salmon in the salt and 80-100# braided on my halibut gear.

Catching larger fish on light tackle isn't new to me. Caught a 36" lake trout on 4# test line a few years ago in Canada. Took me about 45 minutes to land it but finally got my picture with him.

Randy

Default Leader

I plan on running as long a steel leader as possible.

So anyone know if you can use a pink to troll with????

If you want to target them, there is a point between Valdez and Cordova that they congregate in. I believe most of the charters that specialize in shark run from Valdez.

As to tackle, I believe most use 30' wire leaders, and they look like 1/16" aircraft cable, not sure what pound test that is, but in the 100's. Not only will they cut leaders on their teeth, they tend to wrap the leaders in their body and their skin will cut through. You want a reel with a heavy duty drag as a couple of good runs will burn up a light duty reel.

You can troll with salmon, but they have to be commercially caught, you cannot use sport caught fish as bait.

They need to be filleted and iced as soon as they are landed as their body breaks down quickly.

I found the meat quite good, but it is high in mercury so limit your intake.

I have never fished for salmon shark, but have fished for several others, Bulls, Hammerhead, Thresher, Mako. My experience has been that whatever the maximum length of shark you have in the area you are fishing for, use around 2 to 3 feet steel leader longer than the shark... They have very rough skin, and they will slap the line with thier tail. and just like sandpaperwill quickly abrade any line, even braid. Light tackle on sharks, while fun, can be expensive, especially with braid, as you will probably get stripped off several times before you get one in. I have had fights of over 2 hours on 120 lb test line several times. WAY FUN!

Default paul

Thanks for the info on trolling with pinks,

I guess I will try my luck. If happen to see one I will keep a casting rod ready with some herring. Even when I lose it just fighting for a while will be a blast. I imagine if I hook one on my big rod chasing it with the boat is a garantee.

Also what depth would you guys sugg. trolling????

Thanks agian ,

I will split meat as if Im lucky enough to get into one.

If you are dead-set on trolling, then that is certainly one way to do it, but I had success "mooching" for them. Just another possibility to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Thanks for the info on trolling with pinks,

I guess I will try my luck. If happen to see one I will keep a casting rod ready with some herring. Even when I lose it just fighting for a while will be a blast. I imagine if I hook one on my big rod chasing it with the boat is a garantee.

Also what depth would you guys sugg. trolling????

Thanks agian ,

I will split meat as if Im lucky enough to get into one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast