Thread: Lower Kenai Closes for Reds

Default Lower Kenai Closes for Reds

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=994

LOWER KENAI RIVER CLOSED TO FISHING FOR SOCKEYE SALMON
    Sport fishing for sockeye salmon, including catch-and-release fishing, will close downstream of the Kenai River sockeye salmon sonar counter located at river mile 19, effective 12:01 a.m., Friday, August 1. Anglers may not retain or possess sockeye salmon. Anglers must immediately release any sockeye salmon caught incidentally while fishing for other species. The department is taking efforts to reduce the harvest of Kenai River sockeye salmon. This closure is part of an effort by the department which also includes restrictions in commercial fishing to reduce the harvest of sockeye salmon to achieve an in-river sonar estimate of 750,000 950,000 sockeye salmon.
    Anglers are reminded the Kenai River personal use salmon dipnet fishing season is also closed by regulation at 11:00 p.m., Thursday, July 31.
    The department is closely monitoring the sockeye salmon return and will take further management actions as necessary to meet the in-river goal and the optimum escapement goal. These management actions may include further restrictions to the fisheries with short notice, or, if the run strength significantly increases, management actions could include rescinding the restrictions placed on the fisheries.
    END
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default ?

Why not close it all. This just lets them count the fish and then lets folks fish for them after they are counted. Most red fishing happens above the counter anyway. If the counts warrant a partial closure, it warrants a complete closure.

This makes no sense at all! if you need to close it then close it. JTM9 you are spot on, why count them and then harvest them??

I can tell you that all day today in the lower river there were lots of reds being caught. Hopefully, this is a big push of fish that will allow the season to remain open.

Its retarded that they even had it open for dipping or setting before they even get close to the escapement... NOW they are worried ::

its not the sport fishermen that are putting a BIG dent in the numbers...especally below the counter...

I guess i dont understand there thought process
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

With the numbers climbing day to day. I am pretty sure the fish are late, as they have been the past few years.

Default Well -

I am pretty sure that THE only way they will know rough numbers of in-river fish - is after the fish have shown - or not shown. Everyone who kills a fish has effected the numbers that will spawn. I durn sure would NOT want to be a fish trying to make it up that river - the ones that make it are lucky AND smart.

Default Agree with AKPredator...

The hook & line guys are peanuts compared to dipping or netting. I've spent almost every day during the last 2 weeks fishing for HOURS on the river and have yet to see anything remotely close to seeing loads of fish being caught.
    Running up & down the banks, see people fishing, but not all that many hooked up (we've been fishing up from Bing's and doing ok, but putting in time) & watching people come & go empty handed in the same places we fish.
    There are enough fish swimming by un-scathed it's kind of mind boggling (watching it every day we're on the river and this morning in fact).
    Plus, add to that the reality that there are a lot of bank areas inaccessible (sp?) to the public (private property, no fishing areas, opposite side of the river) and the advantage seems to go to the fish.
    I've heard that dipnetters account for about 100k of the run; not sure how true that is, and I'm definitely all for the Alaskans having that opportunity.
    Jim