Thread: High water fishing in the interior?

Default High water fishing in the interior?

We were planning a fishing trip to George Lake this weekend, the high water should make it ez getting in and out, but what about the fishing when the water levels are so high?
    May be just a camping trip?
    Any advice?

Default Thinking the same thing

I was thinking about heading in there myself... tried doing it 2 weekends ago and tore a hole in my boat due to trailer and weld problems (post is in power boats)
    Anyhow, I wanted to go back in there last weekend but was busy welding until 5 am on saturday. The Ms. said no to leaving at 5 am with no sleep the night before... I was bummed but we decided we would go this weekend, but with all the rain now I am worried the pike will be off the bite. Thinking of postponing until the river goes down, also want to know other's thoughts on George with all the rain. Anyone?

I had a velliage elder in Minto tell me that high water is always bad fishing for Pike. This was after we had fished and it was the worst fishing day I have ever seen in the flats and I fish there a lot. I would say do something else.

Unhappy I think AKSHROP is right

Well, I decided to perform a little test, I went fishing last night at a local honeyhole of mine for hammer handle pike... I got zilch and not for lack of trying! The higher water just completely ruined my normally excellent hole. Thus I am inclined to agree with you akshrop!

Looks like a boring weekend... no toothy critters to catch...

Default High Water

Called up to some friends at Manley. Water came up over 3 feet last night. I was worried about the cabin but it looks like I still have a ways to go. River is at 10.3 and flood stage is 13ft. I'm sure Minto, Tolovana will be mud and Pike fishing will be a no-go til at least next weekend. I'm watching the Chena from here at work. Looks like half the local forests are floating down there today. Darned dangerous to try running a boat. Those logs are moving. Sad sigh... Maybe next weekend.